S40 Wide Handlebars?

CoachellaRider

Been riding my S40 for about a month now, and am starting to look critically at ways I can improve my riding. As a big guy with big feet, I've put pedal extenders on my cranks so I can pedal comfortably. Unfortunately this has widened my stance a little so my knees brush lightly against the stock S40 handlebars. I've tried adjusting the fit several times and haven't managed to resolve this - with the handlebars adjusted closer to my chest, I brush the bars less but I'm not as comfortable riding the bike. I can ride it fine as-is, but my goal is to ride a century, and I suspect after a few hours this could be problematic. I've concluded that the fix is either to make the steer tube a couple inches taller to raise the boom or put in a wider handlebar.

Making the steer tube longer doesn't seem like and easy (or smart) idea. Thing is, I really *like* the stock S40 handlebar. Is there a version of that handlebar out there that's a couple inches wider? Anybody else deal with this?

CoachellaRider

There are extenders for that. I don't expect there to be much more force in that part than on an upright bike.
I'm pretty new to the bicycle world (I'm a runner who had to quit because of back issues.) I didn't realize this was a thing. What are those called?

Any generic wide, flared gravel bar won't do? Is it the straight drops that you like so much?
I do like the straight drops. I was going to go with a gravel bar, but thought I'd look here for ideas first.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The stock S40 bar is a wider clone of the off-the-shelf Salsa Woodchipper 2 bar - it is pretty wide for a road bar for sure at about 46cm. There are wider bars out there - the Salsa Cowchipper bar I think is available in a 56cm width.

Robert H.

Been riding my S40 for about a month now, and am starting to look critically at ways I can improve my riding. As a big guy with big feet, I've put pedal extenders on my cranks so I can pedal comfortably. Unfortunately this has widened my stance a little so my knees brush lightly against the stock S40 handlebars. I've tried adjusting the fit several times and haven't managed to resolve this - with the handlebars adjusted closer to my chest, I brush the bars less but I'm not as comfortable riding the bike. I can ride it fine as-is, but my goal is to ride a century, and I suspect after a few hours this could be problematic. I've concluded that the fix is either to make the steer tube a couple inches taller to raise the boom or put in a wider handlebar.

Making the steer tube longer doesn't seem like and easy (or smart) idea. Thing is, I really *like* the stock S40 handlebar. Is there a version of that handlebar out there that's a couple inches wider? Anybody else deal with this?
I had a similar issue on my V20c which led to a strained muscle. I currently use Walmer Bars W I D E Drop Handlebars 50-55-60CM. I choose the 60cm bars and it gave me an extra 2-3 inches on each side. They are curved to follow the arch of your hands as they are moved outward, so you don't have to adjust the reach to the bars. The profile of the bars are very similar to the stock V20c bars - I don't know anything about the S40 bars. The Walmer Bars are produced in Australia - https://www.curvecycling.com/collections/bars and can be purchased from Jefe Bike in the US - https://jefe.bike/collections/cockpit-accessories/products/walmer-drop-handlebars-by-curve-cycling.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I am not sure in English. Maybe stem riser.

Making the steer tube longer doesn't seem like and easy (or smart) idea.
I have a stem riser on my S30. The bike shop didn't have a riser in the length I needed, so they sold me a longer one and cut it down a bit at a time until I had the right fit.

I swapped out the stock handlebar at the same time for a Soma Junebug bar, because I wanted a different amount of flare.

Been riding with that setup for nearly 4 years, still pleased with it.