Safe Pedals

drshuf

I've been loving my silvio, but as I ride on the road, I find that starts at intersections with short lights can be a real challenge. I've tried plain spd pedals with road shoes, dual sided pedals with spd clip on one side and regular pedal on the other, speedplay x5 pedals and all of them have been a problem. You just can't get the clip in reliably to get a good start. A friend recommended Shimano PDM545 which is a mountain bike pedal with a recessed spd cleat. I tried this one with my road shoes and it dawned on me that the real problem is the slick bottoms of road shoes! I put my mountain bike shoes with a waffle bottom on and instantly I was converted! You have such good traction on the pedals when starting out that it doesn't matter if you click in immediately or not. They are heavier than the speedplays (which were the best to use if you are wearing road shoes) but the sense of safety and confidence is worth the extra weight. Anyone else have alternate pedal thoughts?
Reid

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
drshuf wrote: I've been loving my silvio, but as I ride on the road, I find that starts at intersections with short lights can be a real challenge. I've tried plain spd pedals with road shoes, dual sided pedals with spd clip on one side and regular pedal on the other, speedplay x5 pedals and all of them have been a problem. You just can't get the clip in reliably to get a good start. A friend recommended Shimano PDM545 which is a mountain bike pedal with a recessed spd cleat. I tried this one with my road shoes and it dawned on me that the real problem is the slick bottoms of road shoes! I put my mountain bike shoes with a waffle bottom on and instantly I was converted! You have such good traction on the pedals when starting out that it doesn't matter if you click in immediately or not. They are heavier than the speedplays (which were the best to use if you are wearing road shoes) but the sense of safety and confidence is worth the extra weight. Anyone else have alternate pedal thoughts?
Reid

I've been running Crank Bros. Quattros, which is their road version of the Eggbeater. I have been using carbon soled road shoes and had no real issues. The key is, the Quattro has a large platform around the locking mechanism, which makes them forgiving if you don't mesh right away. I've found that I can easily get out of harms way and clip in at my convenience without slipping off the pedal.

For the last couple months, though, I have switched to my old Shimano sandals. I really like them, even though they are not the stiffest shoe around. I know I lose a lot of power, but they are so comfy and my foot tan is nothing less than a conversation piece!

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
drshuf wrote: I've been loving my silvio, but as I ride on the road, I find that starts at intersections with short lights can be a real challenge. I've tried plain spd pedals with road shoes, dual sided pedals with spd clip on one side and regular pedal on the other, speedplay x5 pedals and all of them have been a problem. You just can't get the clip in reliably to get a good start. A friend recommended Shimano PDM545 which is a mountain bike pedal with a recessed spd cleat. I tried this one with my road shoes and it dawned on me that the real problem is the slick bottoms of road shoes! I put my mountain bike shoes with a waffle bottom on and instantly I was converted! You have such good traction on the pedals when starting out that it doesn't matter if you click in immediately or not. They are heavier than the speedplays (which were the best to use if you are wearing road shoes) but the sense of safety and confidence is worth the extra weight. Anyone else have alternate pedal thoughts?
No, but i have alternative shoe thoughts, namely Keen Commuter.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:

I drove over to Rancho Cucamonga to buy some Keen Commuters, as my Shimano sandals have seen their better days. I didn't care for the way they felt and wasn't willing to gamble I'd get used to them. Glad you like them, Jon, I heard lots of good things about them.

Sorry for the hijack.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
JonB wrote:
drshuf wrote: Anyone else have alternate pedal thoughts?

I drove over to Rancho Cucamonga to buy some Keen Commuters, as my Shimano sandals have seen their better days. I didn't care for the way they felt and wasn't willing to gamble I'd get used to them. Glad you like them, Jon, I heard lots of good things about them.
For me it is still just thoughts. I bought a pair of Shimano sandals earlier this summer, my first click pedal shoes. I only found the Keen commuters a couple of weeks ago. So i will wait untill my Shimano are worn out.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
I use Eggbeaters and mtn bike shoes easy in and out. I tried road shoes and had some slippage problems but thats just me. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: I use Eggbeaters and mtn bike shoes easy in and out. I tried road shoes and had some slippage problems but thats just me. Jack

Hi Jack!

I haven't ever tried regular Eggbeaters. I sure do like the Quattros, though. Maybe the large platform is the difference.

Mark

Hotdog

Crank Brother Quattros are great, I don't have them on my Sofrider but I use them on my other recumbent. Road shoe & pedal light weight and solid feel, but with a grippy block surrounding the cleat so your feet don't slide when starting/stopping.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
On another project (hush hush) we are considering bebob pedals. I don't know how these go on front wheel drive, but the plentiful float sounds good.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote: How about these for safe pedals?

http://www.powergrips.com/

I've never used the official powergrips, but I hate those rubber straps on the exercycles at the gym. I hate them with a passion, so I fear I am already prejudiced and already hate powergrips. :evil:

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johntolhurst wrote: On another project (hush hush) we are considering bebob pedals. I don't know how these go on front wheel drive, but the plentiful float sounds good.

I know quite a few people that like bebops. I think the issue with them, though, is like Speedplays; when you miss, you miss big time. Also, the smaller platform makes it impossible to just jump on and do a test ride without changing your shoes. Not that it's a huge thing, I'm just sayin'....

Mark