salt, water, stainless, aluminum, UGH!

georgec

I am looking at the dirt and muck accumulating on the nice new Silvio frame as I ride around on wet paths these last few weeks.

I am thinking about what happens to aluminum in contact with stainless steel with a little salt water thrown into the mix. What with living in Boston, it is a fact of life that sooner or later salt water is going to end up in these fittings.

Does anyone have experience using grease (ala out board motor techniques), or other treatments, to reduce corrosion between the stainless hardware and aluminum components in these frames?

- george

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
No, I've no experience with

No, I've no experience with the Silvio frame. However, I do have a lifetime of professional experience with a lot of different motorcycle models. The easiest way to keep your ride clean is to wipe off any road grime immediately after your ride. If your ride was rainy, you need to towel-dry your bike first and then wipe down your bike. I've always used Pledge brand spray furniture polish for paint, chrome, rubber and plastic. It cleans, protects, displaces moisture and does not leave behind any waxy build-up, like a paste wax will. For the chain, cogs and derailleurs I use a rag wet with WD40. No build up, displaces moisture. Every week, spend twenty minutes oiling the brake lever pivots, the control cables and service your chain. Also, wax the paintwork with actual wax, polish the bright metal parts with actual metal polish and check all the fasteners while you're at it. Remember, I've done this and it works. If you follow a similar routine yourself, on your bike, using similar products, then your Silvio will reward your efforts with a long, trouble-free service life. Sincerely, Steve

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
All our bikes are 7005

All our bikes are 7005 aluminium and have steel and stainless steel fittings. However there is no raw aluminium, it is either painted or anodised.

georgec

Thanks for the comments

Steve wrote, "The easiest way to keep your ride clean is to wipe off any road grime immediately after your ride..."

Agreed, but I lack your admirable level of attentiveness, so I am looking for some kind of "magical maintenance in a tube".

John wrote, "However there is no raw aluminium, it is either painted or anodised."

And beautifully done, I might add. I didn't mean to imply there was anything deficient with the bike fit or finish. On the other hand, the Silvio does have more "joints" than a standard bike where galvanic corrosion can have its nasty way, so I was just thinking that, in my environment, it might be good to do something preventative.

Thanks,
George

BobD

WD-40

Great suggestions by Steve and John.
I am very new to this site, though have ridden an aluminum GR for awhile.

As Steve noted, WD-40 is incredibly helpful in displacing water/avoiding rust AND cleaning much of the frame as well.

Based upon some neat findings about drivetrain wear, I now use WD-40 to totally clean my chain. I soak a new chain in a bucket of WD-40 (gallon available at Home Depot).... for 2 days, and clean it out thoroughly and let it dry. Then clean the rest of the drivetrain. I then run the drivetrain without any lube at all. Periodically I will use a wet cloth of WD-40 to apply to chain for water displacement/rust avoidance....but not for lubing. I have had no problems at all with the drivetrain. And....NO tatoos and no worries about winter crud collecting.

On BROL there has been some interesting WD-40 discussions. Johns Hopkins University has done some interesting studies showing that lubing drivetrains does not improve efficiency. Apparently, lubing doesn't help in minimizing wear and tear either. In fact, many lubes attract grime/grit that erodes the drivetrain.

If you are interested in further reading about this use of WD-40, check out:

http://lonniemorse.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/cleaning-out-the-closet/

And, go halfway down the page to: WD-40 Trans Am Test

Enjoy,
Bob

BobD

WD-40

Great suggestions by Steve and John.
I am very new to this site, though have ridden an aluminum GR for awhile.

As Steve noted, WD-40 is incredibly helpful in displacing water/avoiding rust AND cleaning much of the frame as well.

Based upon some neat findings about drivetrain wear, I now use WD-40 to totally clean my chain. I soak a new chain in a bucket of WD-40 (gallon available at Home Depot).... for 2 days, and clean it out thoroughly and let it dry. Then clean the rest of the drivetrain. I then run the drivetrain without any lube at all. Periodically I will use a wet cloth of WD-40 to apply to chain for water displacement/rust avoidance....but not for lubing. I have had no problems at all with the drivetrain. And....NO tatoos and no worries about winter crud collecting.

On BROL there has been some interesting WD-40 discussions. Johns Hopkins University has done some interesting studies showing that lubing drivetrains does not improve efficiency. Apparently, lubing doesn't help in minimizing wear and tear either. In fact, many lubes attract grime/grit that erodes the drivetrain.

If you are interested in further reading about this use of WD-40, check out:

http://lonniemorse.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/cleaning-out-the-closet/

And, go halfway down the page to: WD-40 Trans Am Test

Enjoy,
Bob

chain care

I use spray on furniture polish or silicon tire spray or that spray on product to make car plastic parts look good. Wipe with dry cloth anytime or after washing bike with wash and wax car care detergent. Don't know of technical matters concerning this technique but the chains look good, they are not messy and seem to do what they are ment to do.

K.