schwinn donor bike

dlanornic

Hi, I am interested in using a Seventh Avenue model made by schwinn for a donor bike. is there some reason that this bike won't work well with the conversion kit? any information or opinions would be appreciated.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
You didn't mention whether

You didn't mention whether you were thinking of the mens or the womens model.

With the men's model, I'm concerned the seat would be too high. With the women''s model, I'm worried that the seat angle would be not horizontal enough.

Cheers,
Charles

dlanornic

schwinn donor

Yeah, I kinda left out the details. What I really am looking for is a good donor bike with the 700c wheels. so I'm looking at hybrids which have those wheels plus front and back suspension. I can do some fabrication but would rather not.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
If you could find a 29" y

Hi,

If you could find a 29" y frame mountain bike, that would fit your description (29" wheels and 700c wheels both use 622c rim).

A couple of comments/questions:

* How tall are you? Inseam? (Makes a difference for stand over height).

* People have converted bikes with no suspension and that has worked out for them (I'm still a fan of suspension for recumbents, but you can go with wider tires than can even things out).

* If you are willing to go to 26" wheels, you have much more choice. The biggest difference between 26" wheels and 700c is the tire selection, but you can still find many good high pressure road tires for 26" wheels (many triathalon riders prefer 26" wheels for whatever reason).

Cheers,
Charles

dlanornic

29" y and 26" wheels

Thanks for the input. I'd like to stay with a suspension system also. I'm 5' 8" tall and have a x seam of 40" or a little over. The 29" y and 26" wheels sound like they would be the way to go. I'll look for a donor with those qualifcations. I'd like to stay with a narrow tire for less rolling resistance. Does that make sense?

Thanks again

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
Wider tires at a given

Hi,

Wider tires at a given pressure actually have less rolling resistance than narrower tires (assuming the tires are made out of the same stuff - wider tires don't have to deform themselves as much to make the same contact patch and it's the deformation that causes rolling resistance). You can get many good, high pressure, low rollign resistance tires for 26".

If you're willing to do 26" wheels, I'd recommend getting a "regular" y frame mountain bike, and converting it.

You can get away the frame from a really cheap bicycle (such as this one, although you're probably better off on Craig's list). If you do go that route, I do recommend upgrading everything. Remember that because you need to turn the fork around, you don't want a bike that has front disk brakes.

Cheers,
Charles

dlanornic

going for it

ok, I'll follow your recommendations and see what I can come up with. I'll probably have more questions in the future . Thanks so much for now!!