Scottish Conversion 2011

currystomper

Hi folks

...was having some trouble getting on to the forum site, it er turns out I was using the wrong password :roll: (duh!!)

Anyway over the winter I have been upgrading the conversion.

126_7fb5c66c2f2f12f2c9ecf7a84e6aba74

Mainly its a tidy up:

• *I've remove the jubilee chips under the seat and the seat is now attached by Rivnuts
    *The jubilee clips on the forks have been replaced by stainless steel clamps
    *The front fork's have been painted to match the cruzbike kit.
    *The bottom bracket on the frame has been removed finally.
    *The block on the drive wheel has been changed so that the smallest cog is now down to 12
    *Added more tilt to the seat back (however the ride this morning suggests I've overdone this!!)

I'll post some details and pictures of the various upgrades over the next few days.

CS[/]

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Your bike is looking good: good work!
:)

Reclining the seat back past a certain point
-and that angle will be specific to you- does affect both your pedaling and
pedaling power, among other things.

With your seat reclined past that point, I've found that
the only way to restore both pedaling efficiency and comfort
is to raise the bottom bracket... which, in my case, meant
fabricating a longer/taller chain stay.

currystomper

126_6a5ee3f1855931d99382a36ddefd2378

I've taken the plunge and cut off the bottom bracket. I think the frame strength is in the shape of the tubing - so I have shaped a piece of plywood to the shape of the hole and glued it into the frame with epoxy. Hopefully this will stop the cut end from being a weak point.

The idea of the wood came from a old bike I had. It was a folding Bickerton bike that I believe was designed by an aero engineer - it had no welded joints and plywood in the box section ends to strengthen the design

http://www.bickertonbicycles.co.uk/

CS

JonB

Zen MBB Master
yakmurph wrote: Your bike is looking good: good work!
Yeah, looking really good. Thinking about how much the weight would be if one did the same frame in Carbon.

currystomper

rivenuts

Hi folks

I've replaced the bands holding the seat on with rivenuts in the frame - This has been done a year now and I've done a few hundred miles now

currystomper

wieght of the BB

Hi

I didn't weight it at the time - but remember it being fairly wieghty - I think a kg is a good estimate!!

CS

nbelt48

Rivet nuts

I would like to use these on my Tiara conversion. Do you remember the size and grip length you used?

Neill

Kavman

Can't open attachment

Hi,

I can't seem to open the jpg using my MacBook. It opens a page of gibberish in either Safari or Firefox. I searched the forum but the other threads related to this aren't really helping. I notice from comments that other people seem to be seeing the attachment. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Kevin

Kavman

Thanks, 1 happyreader

Looks like a smart move, CS. Lighter, no change in function, and it looks good.

I still don't know, though, why I can't open the attachment. I noticed the same problem with attachments before I had my own login, and I thought this was the cause. Probably the age of my operating system (OS 10.5.8) or some such thing.

Kevin

Edit: And someday when I have some time I'll figure out why I'm getting the smiley face on how I've written the version of OSX!

hamishbarker

My conversion frame is almost

My conversion frame is almost identical (but i haven't yet cut off the BB.).

I replaced the original shock (which was 150mm long) with a 100mm one (very cheap on Ebay, about 15 dollars including postage!). This lowers the seat, increases the front BB height, reducing frontal area. It also lowers the head angle a bit, increasing fork trail slightly, although i didn't notice any change in stability (fine either way). The only downside is slightly increased propensity for the front to swing around to the rear when parked.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121028323723

Note, the spring rate is lower on this smaller shock, with increased Pogo potential, but i just cranked up the preload so that i get movement (and therefore energy loss) only when hitting a bump