Seat mods for tall riders

happybentrider

I'm excited to finally own a Silvio. However, I quickly found out, it dosen't fit me. When I stretched the boom out enough to get my legs right, the front of the seat cut into the bottom of my thighs. So I cut the seat to resemble the shape of a traditional bike seat, reshaped and sewed the cushion, problem solved. On my first ride over 30 min duration, I noticed problem #2 with the seat, I was sliding forward on it. So had to glue on some additional dense foam that I had saved from the cutout portion, second problem solved. Then I too, tackled the seatback issue. I inserted a 2 by 2 block of foam down the entire length of the cushion to better support my spine, and added a couple of "foam steps" at the top and it is so much better that I've been able to put in 3, 50 mile rides now, and I think this will work. I plan to be at the Texas Time Trial in 2012 to do the 6 hour event, so have got to get this dialed in.

WhiteSilvio

Seat Modification

Hi Happybentrider,
I was interested to read that you have modified the "pan" seat of your Silvio.

I too have had occasion when I have been aware that the back of my thighs are touching the seat edge; fortunately I have got used to it and it isn't generally a problem. ( I don't think that the backs of my thighs are touching as much as yours must have been: I have an Xseam measurement of 1040-45mm if I recall correctly.)

I have looked at the seat and not been game to cut into it as I felt that it could be forming a significant part of the frame structure, and thus would weaken the bike frame if altered. If all went well that would be okay, but if something goes wrong with the frame, I would assume would not be covered by warranty.
sad_smile.gif

So anyway I am wondering if you wouldn't mind posting a picture of the altered seat pan?

Did you turn down the new edge?

Regards,
John aka WhiteSilvio

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Problem #2 is caused by

Problem #2 is caused by the Solution to Problem #1. Problem #1 can be solved by a chainstay extension as pictured. This lifts the feet up to where the legs are free of the seat pan.

The seat pan is a welded element of the frame, forming a truss. Sometimes you have to be frank - don't do this mod.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I'm not a tall guy at only

I'm not a tall guy at only 5'8" and I don't know about the issues and how they affected you, but I couldn't imagine taking a cutting tool to modify such a beautiful frame!

WhiteSilvio

Chainstay Extension

Hi John,
You said
" The seat pan is a welded element of the frame, forming a truss. Sometimes you have to be frank - don't do this mod. "

So as I suspected the seat is forming a stressed element of the frame.

Okay, so the next question is:

Is the chainstay extension available as an accessory item? (Or is it still a CAD concept?)
How much extension does it give?
And "emma chisit" (how much is it), assuming it is available?

I would also be interested in the specifications, material and sizes and tolerances, for the 30mm diameter telescopic tube, as I would like to replace the one I have with a piece of the same tube so I don't have to have the handlebar fitting in front of me all the time.
If I can't find a piece of suitable tube, is the complete tube and fitting available through Cruzbike?

I want to keep the original tube, complete with fitting for the small diameter handlebars, in case I want to sell the bike at some stage in the future.

Regards,
John,

happybentrider

Silvio Pan Modifications

Here are the pictures of my assult on this beautiful design. I agree that John's "fix" is much better, as it also would keep the rider more aero.

WhiteSilvio

HI Happybentrider,
Thanks for

HI Happybentrider,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the seat modification.

It certainly looks fairly dramatic!

Regards,
John.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Vendetta has its own chainstay length options

This chainstay extension keeps tall riders legs up where riding is a bit more comfortable and where those with well developed legs are saved from rubbing against the front brake and shock boot.

This chainstay extension won't work on a Vendetta, but then, the Vendetta will come with different sized front triangles anyway.

randyspann

chainstay extension

I too would be interested in the chainstay extension. I'm experiencing the same issue, front seat rub. Not bad, but it's there. A bonus would be the more aero of the higher BB.

bent

Silvio

I must be the only one who is comfortable on the stock seat. I am 6'2" 260 lbs with a 48" X-Seam. Go figure. I found an air bladder stuffed in the back cushion of mine uninflated. Anyone know what that's all about?
Ben

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
@bent,
you are not the only

@bent,
you are not the only one who is comfortable! no idea what that air bladder is about.
@randyspann,
chainstay extensions are in production now for Silvio.

WhiteSilvio

Chainstay Extensions for Silvio

Hi John,
Just read your comment above,

"chainstay extensions are in production now for Silvio."

and wondering when they will appear in the list of "Accessories and Extras"?

Will they come with the extra fittings/fasteners required for installation?

Regards,
John.

PS Is there the option of editing posts once they have been posted? I thought there used to be but I can't find where to edit a posted post.

Just for correcting typos and adding and occassionally subtracting bits, this function would be handy.

There doesn't appear to be a way of deleting posts either.

Comments please if you know I've missed something.
regular_smile.gif

WhiteSilvio

Chainstay Extensions and Garmin Cadence/Speed Sensor

Hi.
I've just finished posting some photos of my Garmin cadence/speed sensor for Jeffrey (in another thread) and it occurred to me that with either of the chainstay extensions fitted to the bike the magnet on the pedal crank arm will no longer reach the sensor mounted on the carbostay (where, unless I've overlooked something, it has to go for the speed sensing! I know that the unit doesn't have to use the speed sensor but it appears to use the GPS distance to calibrate the wheelsize and this works quite well.).

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Has anyone come up with a solution to make it all work?

Regards,
John.

randyspann

My modified Silvio

I modified the Silvio with chainstay extension, steering stem extension, and seat back extension. This setup works very well for me!
silvio-c.jpg width: 932px;