Sebring 2017 newbie

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Part of the registration asks about shirt size. I am a euro medium. Does that equate to USA small?
My experience in the past is the Sebring T shirts are on the large size. So yes if you are a medium one size down is a good guess. Of course my guess rate is usually less than 50%.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Get a small and if it's too small then you can have my med. I don't keep very many event T-shirts these days unless it's a dark color and a really cool design which is super rare.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Get a small and if it's too small then you can have my med. I don't keep very many event T-shirts these days unless it's a dark color and a really cool design which is super rare.
Ok... I'll try and get a small and if it doesn't fit, I'll swap.

DavidCH

So do we get a chance to get on the Sebring track and practice? I wouldn't mind getting down there a week early so I am in the flow.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
So do we get a chance to get on the Sebring track and practice? I wouldn't mind getting down there a week early so I am in the flow.
Nope - That is the bummer!
I was told one year that you could, and I got there early to have some time.. but no go.
The track is scheduled for race cars all day Friday (and Saturday during the day) - fun to watch - but no cycling. :(
I'll find a post a link to my video around the track if that will help.
The good this is that you can ride (or drive) the 90 miles or so that you will be riding of Century , they are public roads, so that is possible.

DavidCH

I remember driving the long loop last year seeing what it was like. I have been watching your video around the track on the iPad. It looks quite dark at 6:30am. If you were going at century speed would you have cooked in that jacket? The other thing is ... Is it really that dark on that race track? If it is then I will put a stronger light on the front. Looks like after 7am it's fine.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Honestly on a flat course that's well marked like a race track you can't even get off of I see no need to pre ride. It's not like we'll be going fast enough to need any cornering skills to maximize our corner speed. Your just going to ride the inside edge and ride the tangents from corner to corner. Also you can never have to much and if I may make a suggestion you may want the light on your head so you can see through the corners. I find the apex of a corner ends up around edge of my light beam and can be hard to make out on 90 deg street corners. The flowing corners of a track may not pose any visibility issues for me though.

LarryOz

I remember driving the long loop last year seeing what it was like. I have been watching your video around the track on the iPad. It looks quite dark at 6:30am. If you were going at century speed would you have cooked in that jacket? The other thing is ... Is it really that dark on that race track? If it is then I will put a stronger light on the front. Looks like after 7am it's fine.
It is pretty dark dark right at the start but there are some lights around, plus lots of 24-hour guys have lights too.
IMHO: If you are doing the Century or 12-hour - I will not take a light or batteries with me. Just more weight to haul around.
You do 3 laps on the race course, but after the 1st lap it is significantly lighter.
And as Jason mentioned, we are not riding at speeds (even at 25mph) that will be a huge issue, even with minimal lighting at the beginning.
If you are worried, Jason's idea of a helmet light is also a good idea - plus you can through it to your support after you exit the track area and get out on the road. By that time there is no need for it.

Here is my video of the first 50+ minutes of my ride in 2015 at Sebring. You can see how light it gets even after the first 10-15 minutes, and also how bright it is after you exit the track.

HC203

I am signed up for the 12, never been, may bring a friend riding a DF. Only 12 hour ride I've done is 12 hours of the 24 Hours of Booty, which has a significant climb on each circuit of a 2.3 mile course. I also did a 180 solo ride one year from Baltimore to Ocean City,MD, that was on an upright pre back surgery etc.
Anyway, I'll be there for at least the 12, only goal is I guess 200 miles or better.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Woo-hoo! HC203 adds another rider to the group. I'm thinking we are going to have a large showing this year. My goals are similiar to HC's . With a little luck we will have several packs of Cruzbikes on the track riding at different speeds.

DavidCH

If you have a horse that wants to race you have to race it. If you have a V that wants to be in the front, you have to race it too.

I luv the design of the bike. Total classic. It needs to be shown.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For those that are contemplating doing Sebring and you want to train for it we are getting down to the wire on when you have to start.
For the Indoor bound northern hemisphere people I have posted a training plan specifically for this goal The details are over in the 4f thread

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/f...m-and-support-group.11122/page-10#post-129762

But here is the PDF which assumes you can get started by the middle of next week with your training.

Attachments

• Ultra Sweet Sebring.pdf
    56.2 KB · Views: 16

CruzLike

Guru
Thanks for the training plan Ratz.

My wife is wondering about the availability of restrooms either porta lets or permanent. Also wants to know if she would be able to leave the track while the bike ride is going on. I thought she would be able during the morning. She could leave with some difficult in the afternoon. She could leave when the riders were on the track easily. Is this a correct assumption?

In the evening they move the support stations to the pits? Can you leave easily from there?

Where are people staying? At the track hotel?

Short list of attendees:
Larry Oslund,
Kevin G
Bob and Tanya Pankratz
Jason P,
Jim & Maria Parker
Tigerpaw Lanier M
Trplay and Ms Daisy name_______
David CH
Ken H myself
HC203 name_____
Marc S.
Ted
Maybe Hardy, Ben T.

Last edited:

Tigerpaw

Tigerpaw = Lanier Meeks :) Last year was my first year at Sebring. There is a perminant restroom in the 'pit area' during the century and 11 mile loop portion of the race. From last year's experience and convo from many other regulars, the track opens with 2 or less hours to go for the 12 hour racers.
The move to the pit area is not that complicated. We just walked over, but you can drive over as well.

I stayed in downtown Sebring last year, this year I'm staying at the Chateau Elan at Sebring. Great location and the food at the hotel is good enough. Some camp at the track instead of staying in hotels.

LarryOz

In the evening they move the support stations to the pits? Can you leave easily from there?
Ken,
You can pretty much come and go from the night pits at will. There is a small overpass that you can drive on.
I think the only time that it may be "closed" or "controlled", would be the time when all the 12 and 24 hour riders are transitioning from the 11 mile day loop onto the track, as they also ride on this overpass. Other than that, once all the riders are on the track, then you should be able to come and go as you please.
During the day loop many cars come and go down the straight where all the support teams are setup.
It is a bit hectic as a rider having to navigate all the cars.
To alleviate this issue, I would set up closer to the start gate, as then there is left traffic to have to drive through.
Some people also just stay parked at the hotel - which is just next door - and then walk from the support area to their car if they need to leave for any reason. Lots of options - and people usually "claim" their support locations the night before and park their cars there.
It should not be hard for all the Cruzbike support teams to co-locate, so some of the support have company and help each other out.
Hope this helps.

DavidCH

I was thinking of using Ride with GPS at Sebring but it's not too good. Guess everyone is right into their garmins. Does a garmin give you an audible cue? Guess I am a rookie? I played with it today... And if I followed it I would have lost the race.

LarryOz

I was thinking of using Ride with GPS at Sebring but it's not too good. Guess everyone is right into their garmins. Does a garmin give you an audible cue? Guess I am a rookie? I played with it today... And if I followed it I would have lost the race.
Depending on what Garmin you have will depend on what you get. The 1000 I think gives turn by turn. I think the 510 is not as good.
But, truthfully David, the course is marked very well, and there are usually cars and or people at virtually every turn.
Plus there are so many people on the course, you will probably never be alone - unless you are out front - which I would not recommend - drafting is key!
Just stay with all the other Cruzbikes and you will be fine! :p

Last edited: