Second attempt at a mbb "Cruzbike clone"

mi7d1

First I'd like to thank both johntolhurst and Hardtailcruiser for allowing me to post here about my homemade version of a Cruzbike Sofrider clone.

About a year and a half ago I built a fwd mbb no weld bent following a bike I saw on the Yahoo group and online. That bike had its limitations. Due to the way the front triangle was attached I couldn't use all the gears also there was no suspension. I used what I had on hand, the first bike also had ashtabula cranks I paid my dues and learned to ride on it going around the block after a few feudal attempts. I atached an electric hub motor to the back end and rode it into work thirteen miles. After making the return trip home I put that one away and started to make a version with full suspension. There were obstacles to over come, both in design and skills that I lacked (welding). Many times I started and then stopped working on it. I almost gave up and bought the conversion kit. Perseverance paid off and now I'm about 99% finished. The final problem is my seat hits me wrong in my shoulder blades. Last month when once again I was going to give up Bryan Ball of BROL posted his Cruzbike Sofrider V1 for sale. The price he was asking was a bargain, slightly more than the kit price and I jumped at it. My rational and hope was that the Sofrider would be better than adding a kit to my bike. Also I was curious as to how well my version would compare to the real thing. The purchase of Bryan's bike pushed me to finish mine. When I fabricated the parts I needed for the front end I did it all by eye and how things fit together. I have no idea if my trail and or rake is right or any of that other technical jargon. I just did what felt good. This is another reason why I'm looking forward to ridding a real Sofrider, how lucky did I get. One of the hardest things was to make the wheel attachment brackets. I searched high and low on the net to find a few closeup photos of that part. So in closing I present to you my CB clone.

For you sharp eyed folks notice the seat isn't attached at the bottom. This frame has a wider tube than the first version. I haven't fixed the seat due to the fit.

2386175012_d919cc6f97.jpg

Here is a closeup of the pivot point in the front triangle. I had purchased the donor frame at a bike swap meet for three dollars. Of course it didn't have any suspension. No problem, I made my own pivoting chain stays out of a threaded rod and a hand full of nuts.

2387458728_3922a2a4d4.jpg

mi7d1

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, the seat is a wood slat design. I found some plans for it on the net. It doesn't fit me quite right but will do for the time being. This is where my skill level is at the moment.