Seeking advice for new V20c rider

Rfon

Yes, I'm using the 11-36 that came with the Vendetta I purchased used along with a Sram X-9 derailleur.
I notice that I never use the 2 lowest gears on that cassette so when the wheels I'm getting from Ratz arrive with the 11-32 cassette he's including I'll be switching to that.
If you're current gearing is less than 11-36 you may need to add a few chain links.
There are good youtube videos on how to properly size a chain.
Will the

SRAM PG 1170 11-32t 11-speed cassette work with the v20c without changing any other drivetriain components?​

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I believe your groupset is Arsis, if so then you might be able to just swap out the cassette to this...

Again, you gotta make sure that your rear derailleur cage can handle the larger 32t cassette. Jumping from 28t to 32t should help, a little, and 32t is just getting near the point where manufacturers start making cages to accommodate the larger cassettes. Shimano/Sram are both around 34t.

As for the SRAM PG 1170 11-32t, I don't know. I would guess that you have a Shimano hub on the wheels, and that Microshift fits them, but sometimes SRAM and Shimano don't play nicely together. So, that 11-32t Microshift cassette should be a 1-part solution for 2 more lower gears.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Its actually the Centos (correct me if I am wrong on your particular one - "Covid Spec" has meant a lot of last minute changes here and there on the last few bike batches) - but if thats the case:

Max says 30T... I would say you can likely squeeze it to a 32T. Shifting into the 32T might be a bit rough and you would want to check the chain wrap to make sure you can get that kind of range with the double... but it may be possible.

Robert

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Will the

SRAM PG 1170 11-32t 11-speed cassette work with the v20c without changing any other drivetriain components?​

It will not you

Your hard limiters are:

1. Chain Length: You'll need a longer chain
2. Rear Derailuer You need a "mid" or "long" cage to go 11-32t and bigger
3. The cassette itself.

That's the minimum change.

This is not the original question but maybe something to consider.

I'm running a 50/34 up front and an 11-40 Shimano CS-M8000 cassette. The rear derailleur is a stock Shimano RD-R8000 GS (mid cage which is the longest for this series). I was able to configure without using a wolf tooth adapter. I did have to adjust the B screw a bit differently than described in the manual - basically just keep adjusting until the jockey wheel clears the large cassette cog. Shifting works to my satisfaction. I can shift into the large-large and small-small gears without issue but it is best to avoid these cross chaining situations as it drives the derailleur to its very limit.

This config gives me a reasonable top end and the ability to climb just about anything at the price of larger gear steps than I might like in the mid range. Given that on any ride in my area I can be on the flats or climbs the configuration suits my needs.

May chain is a Shimano 11 speed CN-HG701 126 link. The required chain length for my setup is 126 so this chain works out nicely.

This setup requires a shifter compatible with Shimano Road cable shifting.

Do any of you run a similar setup?

Greg

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
That is a nice setup Greg, and I think it is a good example of what to use for those who do more than their fair share of climbing with PLENTY of Billy Goat gears. 126 chain links? Do you have the long chain stays? I have the short chain stays with the R7000 105 53/39t chainrings and 11-30t cassette for riding on the flats here, and mine is 118L. So, I guess my setup is quite opposite. Just for the flats I'm actually considering a Shimano FC9000 55/42 crankset, and then if I ever start actually climbing I'll swap out for the 105 52/36t chain rings I have in the parts bin. I just don't have that much money sitting around.

0031.jpg

Rfon

This is not the original question but maybe something to consider.

I'm running a 50/34 up front and an 11-40 Shimano CS-M8000 cassette. The rear derailleur is a stock Shimano RD-R8000 GS (mid cage which is the longest for this series). I was able to configure without using a wolf tooth adapter. I did have to adjust the B screw a bit differently than described in the manual - basically just keep adjusting until the jockey wheel clears the large cassette cog. Shifting works to my satisfaction. I can shift into the large-large and small-small gears without issue but it is best to avoid these cross chaining situations as it drives the derailleur to its very limit.

This config gives me a reasonable top end and the ability to climb just about anything at the price of larger gear steps than I might like in the mid range. Given that on any ride in my area I can be on the flats or climbs the configuration suits my needs.

May chain is a Shimano 11 speed CN-HG701 126 link. The required chain length for my setup is 126 so this chain works out nicely.

This setup requires a shifter compatible with Shimano Road cable shifting.

Do any of you run a similar setup?

Greg
Thank you

That is a nice setup Greg, and I think it is a good example of what to use for those who do more than their fair share of climbing with PLENTY of Billy Goat gears. 126 chain links? Do you have the long chain stays? I have the short chain stays with the R7000 105 53/39t chainrings and 11-30t cassette for riding on the flats here, and mine is 118L. So, I guess my setup is quite opposite. Just for the flats I'm actually considering a Shimano FC9000 55/42 crankset, and then if I ever start actually climbing I'll swap out for the 105 52/36t chain rings I have in the parts bin. I just don't have that much money sitting around.

View attachment 15792
I have the stock V20c chain stay. The derailleur is pretty tight in the 50-40 position and on the loose side, but still acceptable, in the 34-11 position. I wanted to make the chain as long as I could to avoid stressing the components in the 50-40 position. So I made it the longest I could that would still work in the 34-11 position and, as luck would have it, that just happened to be the 126 link chain.

I hear you on cranks and such. I'm still running the (covid spec) stock crank and rings because I can't quite bring myself to get a new set. The bottom bracket gets mixed up in that particular mod as well and together.

I have the same setup on a DF bike and the setup works better on the V20c. I think this is because of the more vertical orientation of the V20c drivetrain. My theory is the DF derailleur sees a greater load due to gravity acting on the chain in the horizontal run. On a Cruzbike much of the chain weight is supported by the chainrings which takes the load off the derailleur.

Rfon

It will not you

Your hard limiters are:

3. The cassette itself.

Thank you

Rfon

It will not you

Your hard limiters are:

3. The cassette itself.

Thank you

Rfon

It will not you

Your hard limiters are:

3. The cassette itself.

How does this set up look?

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M8000 SGS (long cage), DynaSys/Shadow+, 11 Spd.

Front Derailleur: Microshift Centos with 31.8mm braze on clamp

Crankset: SRAM Force 22 Carbon Double, 34-50T, 170mm

Cassette: 11 Spd, 11-42T (wide range), Microshift CS-G113, with CNC alu lightweight spider

Chain: KMC X11, 11 Spd.

How does this set up look?

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M8000 SGS (long cage), DynaSys/Shadow+, 11 Spd.

Front Derailleur: Microshift Centos with 31.8mm braze on clamp

Crankset: SRAM Force 22 Carbon Double, 34-50T, 170mm

Cassette: 11 Spd, 11-42T (wide range), Microshift CS-G113, with CNC alu lightweight spider

Chain: KMC X11, 11 Spd.
I'm not sure which shifters you are using but the Shimano road shifters are usually not compatible with the mountain derailleurs. I have heard some people mention converters to solve this issue but I no personal experience.

Rfon

Will the

As I am getting stronger on the V20c, the hills are more manageable with the stock drivetrain setup. If I upgrade, I am going to a shop that builds custom bikes. They will know how to configure everything for a perfect upgrade.

VendettaRich

The V20 is the easiest of the bikes to "Fred Flintstone" around on, because the seat angle is so reclined you can sit nearly upright halfway up the seat.

Do that and just lift your legs a bit off the ground and get a feel for now the bike rolls around and get used it. After a while do this and get a bit of good roll going and slide down into the seat - BUT - leave your legs down. Coast around. Be gentile. This is much easier to do if you have the Ventisit pad of course.

Then when ready do the above but then lift both legs up and engage the pedals with a smooth cadence. Before long you will have a good percentage of control over the front end with your feet alone.

Then you can work towards dead-starts laying back in the seat. But I will say - even I do not dead start like that 90% of the time. I do the "roll and slide" method.
Thank Rob, roll and slide is definitely the best way. I have completed over 1000 miles. Bike is awesome!!!

VendettaRich

We got you covered. Start here:
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/spring-time-learning-to-ride-time.10889/

Run through the protocol and read the thread. Come with questions when you are done.

Also, you are learning on the hardest bike, so Go Slow; the videoes make it look fast and easy; that's because of the bike in question. In your case, it will be SLOW and easy. Leave your ego at home, too you don't want to get it all dirty and bruised. And yes, we've all gone "what have I done" over and over on the first ride.
Completed over 1000 miles! V20c is an amazing bike!!