Seeking advice for new V20c rider

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thank you, will an 11-36 cassette work on the v20c?
Yes it will, but you have to make sure that your rear derailleur can handle it. Some rear derailleurs have a maximum size cassette that they can handle. For example, my short cage SRAM Force AXS derailleur can handle up to a 33t sized cassette, But I think the long cage Force AXS derailleur can handle up to a 36t cassette. The SRAM Eagle XX1 AXS can handle up to a 52t cassette. SO you should check the make and model of your rear derailleur first before you start buying stuff.

Tuloose

Guru
Thank you, will an 11-36 cassette work on the v20c?
Yes, I'm using the 11-36 that came with the Vendetta I purchased used along with a Sram X-9 derailleur.
I notice that I never use the 2 lowest gears on that cassette so when the wheels I'm getting from Ratz arrive with the 11-32 cassette he's including I'll be switching to that.
If you're current gearing is less than 11-36 you may need to add a few chain links.
There are good youtube videos on how to properly size a chain.

Rfon

Yes, I'm using the 11-36 that came with the Vendetta I purchased used along with a Sram X-9 derailleur.
I notice that I never use the 2 lowest gears on that cassette so when the wheels I'm getting from Ratz arrive with the 11-32 cassette he's including I'll be switching to that.
If you're current gearing is less than 11-36 you may need to add a few chain links.
My v20c came with
CASETTEMicroshift Arsis 11-28 this is not adequate for even the slightest hill

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For completeness and proper calculations. Please list the following:

1. Number Teeth on your Front Big Ring
2. Number Teeth on your Front Little Ring
3. The exact model of your Rear Derailleur or a very good picture of it.

With that, we can calculate the current capacity of your system to take up slack in the chain; and then we can figure out if it has enough to handle an 11-42; an how long of an adapter you would need to give the derailleur enough reach.

Whoever does the calculations (there are several in the community that know how) can then explain the capacity concept, reach and the adapters.

Rfon

For completeness and proper calculations. Please list the following:

1. Number Teeth on your Front Big Ring
2. Number Teeth on your Front Little Ring
3. The exact model of your Rear Derailleur or a very good picture of it.

With that, we can calculate the current capacity of your system to take up slack in the chain; and then we can figure out if it has enough to handle an 11-42; an how long of an adapter you would need to give the derailleur enough reach.

Whoever does the calculations (there are several in the community that know how) can then explain the capacity concept, reach and the adapters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230822-072001.png
    Screenshot_20230822-072001.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 19

Tim Lyke

Yes it will, but you have to make sure that your rear derailleur can handle it. Some rear derailleurs have a maximum size cassette that they can handle. For example, my short cage SRAM Force AXS derailleur can handle up to a 33t sized cassette, But I think the long cage Force AXS derailleur can handle up to a 36t cassette. The SRAM Eagle XX1 AXS can handle up to a 52t cassette. SO you should check the make and model of your rear derailleur first before you start buying stuff.
I am running 10-33 and 10-36 SRAM AXS cassettes using the SRAM Rear Derailleur Max 33 with a minor B adjust and no chain changes.

ratz

Ok this took awhile. Microshift OEM stuff is hard to look up.

From what I can find the Arsis 11 Rear Derailleur is a short cage derailleur with a capacity of 35 teeth (35T)

You currently have a 50/34 front crank so your capacity demand from that is 50T-34T= 16T
You currently have a 11-28 cassette, so your capacity demand from that is 28T-11T = 17T

So you currently have a capacity demand is 16T+17T = 33T so you only have 35T-33T= 2T

That means the largest cassette you can put on that configuration is an 11T-30T cassette.
If you go larger when you make the chain longer, the derailleurs won't be able to take up the required slack; and if you make the chain too short so it works, you will overextend the derailleur, and it will be super inefficient until such time as it brakes.

In short 50/34 + 11-30T is the best you can get with that derailleur without a long of expends to change out the front crank

You best bet if you want more gearing for climbing; it to get a 11speed rear derailleur that has a medium cage or long cage derailleur

SHIMANO DEORE XT Long Cage Rear Derailleur 11-speed RD-M8000-SGS

SHIMANO DEORE XT Medium Cage Rear Derailleur 11-speed RD-M8000-GS

Rfon

Ok this took awhile. Microshift OEM stuff is hard to look up.

From what I can find the Arsis 11 Rear Derailleur is a short cage derailleur with a capacity of 35 teeth (35T)

You currently have a 50/34 front crank so your capacity demand from that is 50T-34T= 16T
You currently have a 11-28 cassette, so your capacity demand from that is 28T-11T = 17T

So you currently have a capacity demand is 16T+17T = 33T so you only have 35T-33T= 2T

That means the largest cassette you can put on that configuration is an 11T-30T cassette.
If you go larger when you make the chain longer, the derailleurs won't be able to take up the required slack; and if you make the chain too short so it works, you will overextend the derailleur, and it will be super inefficient until such time as it brakes.

In short 50/34 + 11-30T is the best you can get with that derailleur without large expense to change out the front crank

You best bet if you want more gearing for climbing; it to get a 11speed rear derailleur that has a medium cage or long cage derailleur

SHIMANO DEORE XT Long Cage Rear Derailleur 11-speed RD-M8000-SGS

SHIMANO DEORE XT Medium Cage Rear Derailleur 11-speed RD-M8000-GS

Wow!! Thank you so much. This will be very helpful.

ratz

You are welcome. This is how we all learned this stuff; people ask, people answer, people pay it forward. 10 years ago this was all greek to me.

Rfon

Okay so how does this setup look?

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M8000 SGS (long cage), DynaSys/Shadow+, 11 Spd.

Front Derailleur: Microshift Centos with 31.8mm clamp

Crankset: SRAM Force 22 Carbon Double, 34-50T, 170mm

Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP, 68mm, English thread

Cassette: 11 Spd, 11-42T (wide range), Microshift CS-G113, with CNC alu lightweight spider

Chain: KMC X11, 11 Spd.

ratz

That looks good. Only issue might be the size of the cage on the double, but I think that will work for a 42 and 34/50. That you really can't tell until you set it up; and even then 4-5% chance of a problem at most.

170mm cranks are long for a recumbent; you might want 165m if you can find them. I pedal 150mm. A lot of people here find better "fit" with 150-160mm it has ZERO effect on your power output.

Rfon

That looks good. Only issue might be the size of the cage on the double, but I think that will work for a 42 and 34/50. That you really can't tell until you set it up; and even then 4-5% chance of a problem at most.

170mm cranks are long for a recumbent; you might want 165m if you can find them. I pedal 150mm. A lot of people here find better "fit" with 150-160mm it has ZERO effect on your power output.
Thank you

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Okay so how does this setup look?

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M8000 SGS (long cage), DynaSys/Shadow+, 11 Spd.

Crankset: SRAM Force 22 Carbon Double, 34-50T, 170mm

Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP, 68mm, English thread

Cassette: 11 Spd, 11-42T (wide range), Microshift CS-G113, with CNC alu lightweight spider

Chain: KMC X11, 11 Spd.

This:

You want a braze-on style, not a clamp style.

Rfon

Is there a cassette that would give me a lower gear for the v20c I could upgrade to that would not require changing any other drivetrain components?