Seeking Recommendations for a Top-notch Direct Drive Indoor Trainer for V20 and V20c

Robert Volk

Subject: Seeking Recommendations for a Top-notch Direct Drive Indoor Trainer for V20 and V20c

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently on the lookout for a high-quality direct drive indoor trainer that covers power, cadence, and speed for my V20 and V20c. If any of you have had a positive experience with a particular model, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share your recommendations either by posting here or sending me a private message. Your insights will be invaluable, and thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards, R.Volk

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hi Robert,
I have used the Wahoo KICKR and Core and been very happy with then. You do have to remove the front disc brake with the CORE model however.
Larry

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I can second the Wahoo KICKR ...been using one since 2018. The newer models now have wireless connectivity...nice. https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/indoor-cycling/bike-trainers/kickr-buy

• NEW - WiFi connectivity for faster, stable data transfer
  • NEW - ERG Easy Ramp gets you back in action
  • NEW - Odometer tracks total mileage
  • NEW - Race Mode uses WiFi capability to broadcast power up to 10x faster for competitive advantage at critical race stages

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
You couldn't get me off the Tacx Neo now a Garmin product:
Last years model is on sale $400 off right now at $99; no need for the latest and the greatest when you have the best :)

I have two of these version 1.0 and they are going strong 7 years later because they don't have any friction parts to wear out.

1) Dead Silent
2) Magnet resistance so it's butter smooth
3) Folds up and can go behind with you in the car to use at and event
4) Can work off electric to give you advanced features like Downhill coasting and Cobbs in Zwift
5) Can work without electric as full trainer; perfect for warming up at events
6) Was the first to do calculated cadence but most of the high end stuff does that now.

This is getting dated but:

So use this secret link; it's not published on the website anymore but he's still maintaining it:

cruzKurt

Last years model is on sale $400 off right now at $99; no need ....

When I saw this, I thought, hell, for $99 I might try it. oops...

Robert Volk

Last years model is on sale $400 off right now at $99; no need for the latest and the greatest when you have the best :)

I have two of these version 1.0 and they are going strong 7 years later because they don't have any friction parts to wear out.

1) Dead Silent
2) Magnet resistance so it's butter smooth
3) Folds up and can go behind with you in the car to use at and event
4) Can work off electric to give you advanced features like Downhill coasting and Cobbs in Zwift
5) Can work without electric as full trainer; perfect for warming up at events
6) Was the first to do calculated cadence but most of the high end stuff does that now.

This is getting dated but:

So use this secret link; it's not published on the website anymore but he's still maintaining it:
this is great info! thanks, I like the idea of a foldable and bring with for those family vacations

Beano

Another vote for the Tacx Neo 2T, cheaper now with the new Tacx 3M coming out. Which incidentally I don't think looks to be compatible with the V20. So when my 2T finally goes up to trainer heaven may have to convert to Wahoo and it's Kickr.

Karl42

I still use the first version of the Tacx Neo with my V20.
After some amount of usage the Tacx Neo might develop grinding noises, and then it is necessary to open it for cleaning (which requires a special tool), but apart from that I'm very happy with it.
One thing that bothers me somewhat is that these smart trainers require an app to be used effectively. When I got the trainer I tried a lot of different apps and settled on "The Sufferfest", which has then been acquired by Wahoo, but still works great. Another one for serious training is Trainerroad, which I also want to try. But all of those require a monthly subscription fee. Then there is the free and open source program "GoldenCheetah". It can do everything these apps can do, but it only runs on a laptop (not a phone or iPad), and the user interface is horrible.

This begs the question: which apps do you use for your indoor training with your smart trainer?

vendetta_tacx.jpg

Flying Dutchman

@Karl42 your v20 looks beautiful there! I like the colour scheme. Anyway, I'm a big fan of Wahoo Systm, which like you said includes Sufferfest. What I like about it is the variety of rides you can do. There's trips with Mike Cotty where you ride through lovely areas like Spain and France where he explains some of the regional highlights. Similar rides in Tasmania with another pro-rider. Then there's the 'inspiration' films that are typically low-load recovery rides and there's the 'serious suffering' interval rides where you ride inside the peloton with music and 'encouraging' comments. All real filming as opposed to the animation you get in Zwift. If you're not into gaming, then to me Systm is the one to go, it keeps you entertained. I've also tried Rouvy, also based on real filming but that sometimes goes wrong. You can see that you're going uphill in the film but the ERG thinks you're going downhill or on one occasion it thought I was climbing 45% which basically made it impossible to turn the crank.
I currently have a free year of Zwift thanks to Wahoo killing off RGT so I tried a couple of Zwift rides but TBH I find them boring. No music, no reality, just riding through an animated world. Admittedly very well done, but not for me. Just my personal opinion.

Karl42

I found that on the trainer, I don't actually need the videos and the music. I found myself turning off more and more gimmicks from the UI and just look at the intensity chart while listening to my own music. Even the most interesting video gets tuned out after I have watched it enough times.
So I don't really need to pay 20$ a month to do the same exercises again and again. Hence my interest in GoldenCheetah, or some other program that does the same thing.

Last edited:

cruzKurt

I found that on the trainer, I don't actually need the videos and the music. I found myself turning off more and more gimmicks from the UI and just look at the intensity chart while listening to my own music. Even the must interesting video gets tuned out after I have watched it enough times.
So I don't really need to pay 20$ a month to do the same exercises again and again. Hence my interest in GoldenCheetah, or some other program that does the same thing.
I have similar habits, I keep my current training program running on a small screen and just watch and work on a large monitor.

@Karl42 will golden cheetah control the trainer as far as an ERG mode so to speak?

I wish I had a program to just control my trainer with my own custom workouts and not have all the overhead and cost of the training program. I actually create my own custom workouts using zwofactory and just use them.

Karl42

@Karl42 will golden cheetah control the trainer as far as an ERG mode so to speak?

Yes, GoldenCheetah supports ERG mode. But you need a laptop and an Ant+ dongle (GoldenCheetah doesn't work with Bluetooth). With those, you can run custom workouts and a large number of predefined workouts in ERG mode.
However, the whole process is not nearly as smooth as running an app on my phone or iPad, which is why I haven't fully switched to this yet.

cruzKurt

Yes, GoldenCheetah supports ERG mode. But you need a laptop and an Ant+ dongle (GoldenCheetah doesn't work with Bluetooth). With those, you can run custom workouts and a large number of predefined workouts in ERG mode.
However, the whole process is not nearly as smooth as running an app on my phone or iPad, which is why I haven't fully switched to this yet.
Thanks, I don't have ANT+ on my Wahoo Kickr, but might consider it if I can finally have a no cost solution to control my trainer.

Karl42

To be more precise, GoldenCheetah doesn't seem to work with Bluetooth with my Tacx Neo. The drivers for other trainers might have different requirements. In any case, it's worth checking out. You can also find some tutorials on youtube about how to set up a smart trainer with it.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Coming in from left field here...

Thirty-whatever years ago, before wheel-off smart trainers, computer apps, and Cruzbike, I relied on my music library by ripping 60-minute trainer CDs, with each song carrying a steady beat that led to a cadence ranging from 80 to 110 rpm. For the "slower" songs, I would shift into a harder gear and pretend I was climbing at that lower cadence. For "faster" songs, I would spin an easier gear, but keep the cadence high, as if in pursuit. Each song was like an interval, and over the 60 minutes, I would end with a pretty varied and vigorous workout. It all relied on gear selection up against the dumb-trainer's resistance unit, as dictated by the beats per minute of the next song.

Of course, CDs gave way to streaming, and now I have one big playlist of about 1500 songs just for the trainer. Hit shuffle and go!

By the time I was riding a V20, smart trainers were here. I didn't have a bike I could dedicate to a trainer, and I didn't want to hassle with the front wheel business of repeatedly mounting and removing a V from a wheel-off trainer, so I subscribed to Zwift and bought a wheel-on Wahoo Kickr. Zwift took a little getting used to, but I got the hang of it. The Kickr, on the other hand, I did not like. The idea behind a smart trainer, as I understand it, is that you should not really have to use your shifters; the ERG changes your resistance to match the simulated terrain while you stay in one gear. But for me, the ERG was making decisions for me that I would not make myself if I were riding on the road, usually resulting in me having to push harder on the pedals than I would on a real ride. To keep my knees happy, I could either push less hard, shift to an easier gear for more spin, or adjust the ERG to a milder setting. Either way, my virtual speed would drop, and I would spend the rest of my trainer session watching avatars zipping merrily by me while I crept along. Trainer riding already demands high levels of motivation; feeling virtually slow while working hard was not going to fly.

I missed being in control of my own cadence. I also missed my music, and came to understand how much those songs drove the intensity of my trainer sessions. I still listened to my music with the Kickr, but the ERG rarely let my cadence sync with the beats per minute of the songs. The music had become just music, not its own driving force as it had always been. In short, I missed my dumb trainer. I sold the Kickr, went back to my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, added the $50 In Road sensor to make it a semi-smart trainer that allows me to connect to Zwift, and I've been happily sailing along in the virtual world ever sense--back in control of my shifting, cadence, and output as I bang away to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, etc. In truth, half the time I have my eyes closed as I listen to the music, not even watching the screen, as Zwift really just becomes a way to post something quantifiable on Strava. When I do watch the screen, my avatar holds its own with the rest.

I know that I don't reflect the majority view, and that I probably sound like an old crank, but for me in this case, the new did not successfully replace the old because it made the simple more complicated than it needed to be.

Beano

I use Zwift with my trainer.

Do you really need an app? You can hook up your Garmin to the trainer and then used it as a dumb trainer finding your power needed with the right cadence and gearing.

Robert Volk

ratz, did you have to do anything to get the cadence to work on the neo 2t? always reads zero. Also the speedometer read 10 miles per hour for me, 1/2 of what i get on the road. Ever run into those issues?