Seeking Recommendations for a Top-notch Direct Drive Indoor Trainer for V20 and V20c

ratz, did you have to do anything to get the cadence to work on the neo 2t? always reads zero. Also the speedometer read 10 miles per hour for me, 1/2 of what i get on the road. Ever run into those issues?
I use the Tacx T2800. Regarding the cadence, that would probably require adding a cadence sensor, like a Wahoo
As for the speed, the smart trainer delivers the set app-controlled resistance no matter what gear the you're in. I keep mine in a low middle gear so there's less chain crossing and is a little quieter. A higher gear will post a faster ride to apps like Strava, but that's not really what I'm going for on the trainer, just fitness.

Boreen bimbler

ratz, did you have to do anything to get the cadence to work on the neo 2t? always reads zero. Also the speedometer read 10 miles per hour for me, 1/2 of what i get on the road. Ever run into those issues?
I've used a neo t2 with my s40 and I think the cranks are in the wrong place for the built in cadence sensor to work so had to use a sensor on the crank arm. Worked very well otherwise.

I get cadence recording onto my TrainerRoad workouts from my Tacx. I wonder if it’s measuring fluctuations in power.
Edit: I just googled “tacx cadence sensor not working”. It seems to be a problem for many. Some solutions there that might help.

Last edited:

Boreen bimbler

I get cadence recording onto my TrainerRoad workouts from my Tacx. I wonder if it’s measuring fluctuations in power.
Edit: I just googled “tacx cadence sensor not working”. It seems to be a problem for many. Some solutions there that might help.
Mine works fine with a DD bike just not the S40.

CruzRider

With a Cruzbike, I believe the crank is too far from the sensor for cadence to work.

I would just get a crank mounted cadence sensor. That is what I have on all my bikes. Works with my Wahoo and also outside

Robert Volk

After much experimentation and research: The V20 cranks don't interact with the cadence sensor in the Neo 2T. I added an external cadence sensor to the crank, and that seems to be working fine. However, there's an issue with speed when using the Garmin Edge in ERG mode (connect as trainer sensor)—it doesn't track correctly. Interestingly, in slope mode, the speed tracking is accurate. To make it all work seamlessly, I let the Tacx utility app control the trainer in slope mode while following the workout on the bike computer. Afterward, I delete the slope workout on the Tacx utility app and save the workout from the bike computer. This step is crucial; otherwise, if Tacx uploads the workout, the cadence information will be missing. Unfortunately, the Tacx app will not recognize the external Garmin cadence hardware, only the one from the trainer.

Last edited:

SteveY

https://trainerday.com/ has a free version of their app. The app also has a heart rate setting that adjusts the resistance to keep your hr within a range. I use it on my phone for zone 2 rides to keep my heart rate from going too high. The paid version is only $3.99 per month.
That should provide what you asked for about apps. You can turn erg mode off or on as you prefer.
I am a rouvy fan. I love the videos of routes from around the world. Thousands of them. Currently I am using a trainer day workout plan. I import that days plan into Rouvy, select the video, and ride the workout while listening to podcasts or music.
Lastly I automatically upload the finished rides to intervals.icu to track my fitness.