Setting knee clearance and X-seam on my new Silvio 1.5

kenhardwick

Picked up my new Silvo from my LBS Saturday afternoon after they completed installing the components. They didn't have any cables long enough for rear brakes so riding without them for now. Also, waiting to wrap handlebars after getting stem, handlebars etc set.
Since I'm 6'3", I purchased and installed the 150mm Chainstay extension.

After reading Doug Burton's blog, I spent some time making adjustments to set X-Seam and knee clearance.

Was able to ride around the neighborhood a few miles Saturday evening and was able to get a 15 mile ride in Sunday.

However, I have an issue with the handlebars being closer to my body than I would like. But, don't see where I could make any further adjustments.

I have my X-seam to the pedals just about where I want. My knees just slightly touch the handlebars when pedaling.
But, as I mentioned, the handlebars are very close to me and so my arms/shoulders feel a bit cramped when placed on the handlebar ends.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Below is picture of my current setup.

kens1.png

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Hi Ken,
That is a beautiful

Hi Ken,

That is a beautiful bike you have there. As I do not yet own a Silvio, I can not offer any andvice of any merit. In looking at the photo you posted and the ones of the new Silvio that Mr. Tolhurst posted, and I see that the primary method of adjusting reach involves slding the steering portion of the boom tube down over the curved section. However, this directly affects handlebar height which is limited due to the 150mm extension. Is there a chance that a 100mm extension would make a difference? If not that, perhaps a randonneuring type handlebar would have the proper curvature to facilitate room for your knees? Certainly, I can see other possibilities, but the last thing you'd want to do is start using cutting tools and non-spec components on a new frame.

I imagine someone will have the answer; I just thought that I would get the conversation started.

Good luck and enjoy the Silvio!

-Andrew

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
hands on the brifters

Riders your size usually ride with their hands on the brifters, moving them back to the drops for technical stuff.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
x-seam a little longer (maybe, over time)

Also, you may find as you ride that you need the x-seam a little longer. If so, grant this length by loosening the upper clamp and freeing your arms a little too. As you ride, most settle deeper into the seat than they do when seated for a 'test fit'. As I recently said, there is no substitute for riding the bike when seeking the right fit, can't do it sitting down.

kenhardwick

Wider Handlebars ?

First of all...John and Andrew - Thanks for your feedback/comments

On my ride this AM, I did "slump" down in my seat a bit more (or as John put it..settle deeper into the seat )
...seems to give my elbows and shoulders a bit more room.
Also, resting hands on brifters does make things more comfortable.

I know that a lot of research and testing went into coming up with the handlebars as shipped with the Cruzbike.

What advantages/disadvantages would there be in using wider handlebars?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
greater reach

Other available bars offer greater reach (or 'drop' in the convensional parlance) and I might make our next production with more reach. Wider gains you more leverage and so makes it more managable at low speed.

Keep the allen keys (hex head keys) handy.

kenhardwick

Adding Handlebar Stem ?

Still waiting for final installation of rear brake, installation of front derailer, taping of handlebar at LBS.

Due to my height (6'3"), I am still a little concern with having enough room for my knees and also have enough room for my arms/shoulders.

In looking through images of various Cruzbike Silvio's on the internet, I noticed on one white Silvo that the owner had installed a handlebar stem. See image below.
I am thinking this would increase length between cranks and handlebars without changing x-seam.
Would that be correct ?
Would this cause any steering difficulties ?
Comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,

alt="Handlebar Stem on White Silvio"
HandlebarMod.png ; height: 621px;

randyspann

Need handle bar room --

-- I'm 6'6" and had the same problem. You can purchase a stem extension. Find the video of Jim Parker's Vendetta walk around. You will see he installed one too. Not sure where you can get one as I had mine on a DF bike for a few years. This makes all the difference in the world for knee clearance!

randyspann

See it here:

Check out "Delta Alloy Bicycle Stem Raiser" on amazon.com to see what I mean. This works great on the Silvio, entire stearing assembly is still dead stiff, even with chainstay extension.

kenhardwick

Delta Alloy Bicycle Stem Raiser

Randy, Just the answer I needed. Have already ordered on from Amazon. Appreciate the suggestion. Ken

kenhardwick

Randy

I was "OU- class of '73" - started in '68 but got a track scholarship my junior year with 3 years of eligibility so dropped course hours to 12 hrs a semester.

randyspann

OU --

-- I suppose many will want to know "What is OU"....if you have to ask, you don't need to know! (Played fball for them)