SF bay area (south bay)?

zivl3

I have had my eye on a Silvio for quite some time now. When I compare the list of things that I want out of a bike to the features of the bikes that I find appealing, the Silvio seems to be a really good match. My wife has even agreed to let me get one, but on one condition... that I ride one first. Lately, a couple of used bikes have come up for sale but even at the reduced price, she won't budge. She says that she would rather see me spend the extra money on a bike that I know I'll like than gamble on a complete unknown. Admittedly, there are a few aspects of the Silvio that I'm not sure that I'll be comfortable with. So that's my story. Is there anyone near the SF south bay that has a Silvio that would be willing to let me ride around the block a few times?

Thanks,

Dave

Gromit

Guru
zivl3 wrote: Admittedly, there are a few aspects of the Silvio that I'm not sure that I'll be comfortable with.
Would you care to list your concerns? ;) :)

Sorry that I cannot help with the test ride. I'm a continent away and no longer have a Cruzbike myself.

zivl3

My concerns are seat height and MBB.

I rode a Volae Expedition, which has a 25-26 inch seat height and a 34-35 inch bottom bracket (I think). I felt like I was perched above the bike and for some reason that made me feel vulnerable. After 200 miles, that sensation never went away. I have a couple of other recumbents that have 18-19 inch seat heights. On those bikes I feel like I'm either in the bike or part of the bike. Although the Silvio has a higher seat height, the bottom bracket is lower and the layout of the bike puts the rider more inside the bike rather than above it. I would have to ride the bike to see if that's how it would feel.

I have no experience with a MBB bike. On one had I'm pretty confident that I could learn the subtleties of riding one. In fact, that's one of the features that attracts me to the Silvio. It would be like learning a new dance or skill. On the other hand, a ride around the block would give me an indication of how big of a challenge it would be.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
To be honest, unless you've ridden a MBB FWD bike, you might not get around the block the first time. Buying into the Cruzbike in any way, shape or form is a bit of a leap of faith. You can hedge that bet by trying a bike, like you are attempting to, or buying/building a conversion to see if you are willing to put the effort in to master the bike. It's not hard, I think just about anybody can do it. The big question remains; are you willing to?

There are some people that aren't willing to put in the time. Some don't get it, or can't see the potential. Many are willing to settle for something they can master with ease, like a low bottom bracket LWB. These are bikes you can wobble down the street pretty easily on, but don't have the same pulse quickening, butt hauling lineage that the Silvio does. High racers are kind of the same thing. While most can manage to ride them easy enough, they are still an acquired taste due to the top-heavyness and reach to the ground. Truthfully, I found my 40+ pound conversion to be faster than my high racer and that's the real reason I pulled the trigger on the Silvio.

Don't get me wrong, though; I have seen people get on a Cruzbike and ride them right away. It happens, but it's more the exception than the rule. I hope you can find one, I really do. Sitting down in the seat of a Silvio was enough for me. The one I looked at was set up too short. I had already been riding a conversion and wasn't worried about whether I could or would master it. Let me tell you, though.... Sitting on that bike is unreal. It just wants to roll away with you.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
zivl3 wrote: I have a couple of other recumbents that have 18-19 inch seat heights. On those bikes I feel like I'm either in the bike or part of the bike.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... That's it! You're in the bike and part of it! You nailed it!

zivl3 wrote: I have no experience with a MBB bike. On one had I'm pretty confident that I could learn the subtleties of riding one. In fact, that's one of the features that attracts me to the Silvio. It would be like learning a new dance or skill. On the other hand, a ride around the block would give me an indication of how big of a challenge it would be.

You sound just like me. I've been riding the Silvio for a year and a half, or thereabouts and it never gets old. While I "mastered" the bike right away, I am still finding little nuances where I am improving and learning and that's cool! It never gets stale and it still makes me want to ride.

I think you will be assimilated.

Mark

bokes

hey Dave, I think you're in luck. A guy named Nanda has a shop in Petaluma (if an hour drive isn't too far for you) and he has a Silvio, we'll he did a 3 weeks ago when I test rode it. HIs shop is here: http://www.spincyclz.com He's a really nice guy

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Dave,

You'll find Nanda extremly helpful, and he's built several Silvios and understands the design very well. He also has a very test-ride-friendly facility.

He also currently has a Sigma for evaluation...

Have fun!

Best,

Doug

zivl3

I rode a couple of Softriders and a Silvio today. Big thanks to Jeff for letting me ride his bikes and thanks to Nanda for recommending Jeff. We just rode around in a parking lot. It's definitely a different riding experience than anything else I've ridden. Mostly I rode around on the Softrider, but I guess I looked competent enough that Jeff let me try his Silvio too. The Silvio is very nice, but I only made one small lap on it because I didn't want to do anything bad to it, like fall over. The Softrider was no slouch either. It was easier for me to pedal through turns than to ride in a straight line. Starts and stops were harder than I hoped they would be. I had to put down both feet as I came to a stop. Normally, I stop with one foot down. I'm sure that I could eventually figure out how to do it. Starts were tentative, which I expected. That will come with practice. I tried to ride up a hill. I didn't make it far. I need to get much more coordinated before I'd be able to climb anything.