Shh! the Plan

trplay

Zen MBB Master
The Low Drag plan copied from the HSLD message board.

We have a great core for both teams Thursday. Low Drag is letting High Speed borrow our Capt. (Roy) for the day. We'll be watching closely and expect to get him back exhausted but not dead after the race. Meanwhile, Low Drag is relishing the chance to tackle this course. We only have four riders, but we don't need any more stinking riders. We got this!

The lead-in to the lap counter will be fast. At the lap counter, we will communicate the power-ups gained and then activate them to benefit the team speed as a whole. The climb to the rope bridge will be brisk using a rotation based on the feel at the time. We have no fear of the teeny-tiny steep incline up the back side of the Rope Bridge. Our heavier riders will enter the bridge first and actively generate speed on the downhill. Our other two riders will stay back and time the climb so that they provide a boost just as the front is losing momentum up the climb. They will not fly by. They will stay bunched to the top. This might take a practice round or two but we should have this technique perfected by the last lap. At the top Low Drag recovers all the way to the intersection that leaves the loop. Then we will pick up the pace just as we did during the lead in. When we hit the lap counter we wash, rinse, and repeat. We will do this two more times. No social distancing here. We want a glob that would make Sturgis bikers proud. Remember, 4 riders means its the 3rd rider across the finish not the fourth for the official time. Expect to finish with all four riders and the best placement yet.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
What is the mileage for this race? I can never seem to find the mythical information on the routes in the myriad of sites and stats. :-(

trplay

Zen MBB Master
What is the mileage for this race? I can never seem to find the mythical information on the routes in the myriad of sites and stats. :-(

It is 700 meters short of 30Km. Not very far but slow since you're in the dirt. It will feel more like 40Km.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
So I rode this last night - just did one loop. Came in at 16mph average and times one loop at 19:40

Not sure if that is good as there was near zero people on the loop haha.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Me too with the following results courtesy of Strava segment Road to Ruins - Just the Loop:
-14:30 1st lap part of that lap was with draft from Jason and the As for a bit and at the high end of my power peaked at 363w with averages of 226w 32.8km/h 149beats per min
-16:10 2nd lap after being dropped and deciding to just do around 200w. I picked up another rider and mostly pulled him the rest of the way. Averages 196w 29.5km/h 143bpm

-16:12 3rd lap slowly finding it hard to hold 80 cadence at just under 200w to stay barely ahead of my tail Averages 194w 29.4km/h 140bpm
-my tail then slowly cranked it up and wrung us both out from the end of the loop to the finish with a bit of a final sprint of 472w.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
12:28,13:08,13:13 for my 3 laps, I had one other person with me for most of it. It would seem last night race didn't have double draft enabled so tomorrow's event should let you draft easier.

ccooper

I did the same race as @benphyr and @RojoRacing with 5 people in my B group after the selection. Times for Just the Loop were 13:35, 13:53, 14:24.
I found the climb to be not to0 hard, averaging 3% grade with a couple of short breaks. I was able to stay with the lighter riders, and found the flats and downhills to be easy, giving me a chance to catch my breath.