Shock noise

jphipps

I finally found the source of noise from the rear of my Quest. After 2 thousand miles, numerous adjustments and tightening all quick releases on the rear of the bike, I found the source of a "RRRRUUUUU" sound. It was the quick release on the shock. The bolt on the quick release is threaded all the way through the shock bushing, resulting in a sound similar to using a metal rasp. When I removed the quick release from the shock , small flakes of metal fell out of the shock bushing. Also I noticed that the bolt no longer fit snugly in the shock bushing and the bushing was scored. I replaced the threaded bolt with a non threaded bolt of the same diameter from the hardware store and noted that it was slightly larger, maybe because it had not been threaded. The sound was eliminated and has not returned in 100 miles of riding. Will someone comment as to whether the quick release should be threaded through the shock bushing?

JPhipps

low wong

Thanks for your sharing,

Thanks for your sharing, about this noise, you finally found the solution and I still focus on the shock! I will try to get a non threaded bolt to end up my trouble.

low wong

I replaced a non threaded

I replaced a non threaded bolt for my quick release but still shouting, then I try to adjust the spring shock, after several testing, finally, the noise was eliminated!
I think I just tightened the loosing part.
omg_smile.gif