Should I take clipless pedals off?

MariposaLand

Cruzbikers, I have 180 miles on my 2018 S40. 70 miles in August and then 100 this last week which includes today’s ride. I didn’t seem to have a problem when I first clipped in but this past week I have fallen over 5 times after slowing down to a pretty slow crawl. 2 of the times were equipment malfunction/people in the way; the rest of the times I was riding slow and lost control. Very quickly I’m over on my right elbow. Will I outgrow this condition? Should I put training wheels on it or go back to flat pedals?

Thanks

Tim Z

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Cruzbikers, I have 180 miles on my 2018 S40. 70 miles in August and then 100 this last week which includes today’s ride. I didn’t seem to have a problem when I first clipped in but this past week I have fallen over 5 times after slowing down to a pretty slow crawl. 2 of the times were equipment malfunction/people in the way; the rest of the times I was riding slow and lost control. Very quickly I’m over on my right elbow. Will I outgrow this condition? Should I put training wheels on it or go back to flat pedals?

Thanks

Tim Z
Do your slow speed drills/starts and stops with them until unclipping becomes completely natural.

Otherwise, try toe clips without straps or with loose straps for sometime.

We are all different but I practiced my slow speed drills, starts and stops nearly three times a week for more than a month until it was second nature. But I started with toe clips and loose straps.

Last edited:

McWheels

Off the long run
Brave to start with clips. I've cleared 3000 miles and still desperately content with nukeproof flats. However, wobbles happen, you'll get better at spotting them coming with time.

Was it a single ride for those miles? If you've not spent a lot of time stop/starting your pace control may be good, but you crawl experience may be lower than you allow for.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
All of my initial spills were slow to no speed, with clipless pedals. Then things started clicking, and I have had no trouble since, and that was on my V20. My last such spill was four years ago. Use flats until you feel comfortable, then go back to clipless. It really is like learning to ride a bike (again), and it does get better/easier with mileage.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I rode flats on my mountain bike in the winter (dry roads to snow and ice and with studded tires) and clipless on the commuting bike (touring DF) and mountain bike in the spring, summer, fall until one winter I realized that I was more comfortable with the clipless regardless of the conditions because they gave me better control and it had become absolutely no thought whatsoever when clipping out - as in I don't think about it, it just happens even if I come to a stop at a stop light and do a brake stand I'll then clip out if I need to put that foot down without thinking about it. When I went to the cruzbike it was flats but when I switched to clipless - ahhhh, welcome back - wonderful improvement. If you are ever at all awkward with clipless or tentative in your confidence in your abilities with them, then adding that to the new learning curve of Cruzbike just adds an extra facet that your attention can wander away from. But basically the same thing applies whenever you learn to ride with clipless - clip out earlier than you think you need to and you don't have any problems - we all break this rule and end up on the ground, thankfully that is not as far on a Cruzbike.

I do have an anecdote to share. I went for a functional abilities test for a job I was applying for. It worked out to being something like going to the gym for the first time and having a personal trainer push you pretty hard - pretty worn out muscles everywhere. I was wobbling all over the place drivers probably thought I was drunk at 4:30pm. Normally, I'm in complete control even if it looks slightly wobbly - I felt like I had no control because I couldn't use any backup strength to compensate because I had none.

woodguy

I think you will outgrow this as long as you keep up with the learning exercises. When I bought my Q45, I started out with flat pedals as I was learning & did lots of slow figure 8’s. After I was brave enough to clip-in, I wished I had done it sooner. Feels like I have better control of the bike. I won’t go back to flats.

I still find it important to unclip any time I am approaching an intersection or other possible reason I might have to stop or go very slow. Happy to say I haven’t gone down yet, but I have had some close calls.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
If I find myself dodging people or obstacles; I keep one foot clipped in and use the other as a counterbalance. Its saved me many times. Slow speed overbalancing and falls you get when you first use clipless pedals albeit like me on a mountain bike. Falling from a cruzbike is easier than falling from a mountain bike. It's good practice to relax. Take the brunt of the force on the handlebar and not on the elbow. An elbow fix is more expensive.

MariposaLand

Brave to start with clips. I've cleared 3000 miles and still desperately content with nukeproof flats. However, wobbles happen, you'll get better at spotting them coming with time.

Was it a single ride for those miles? If you've not spent a lot of time stop/starting your pace control may be good, but you crawl experience may be lower than you allow for.

Thank you, most of my rides have been 20 miles + with the exception of my initial learning which was two 7 mile parking lot rides. I have not spent a lot of time practicing unclipping a slow speeds. That would be a good idea. One thing I found is that the the very act of unclipping while going slow throws my balance off. Again thank you

MariposaLand

Do your slow speed drills/starts and stops with them until unclipping becomes completely natural.

Otherwise, try toe clips without straps or with loose straps for sometime.

We are all different but I practiced my slow speed drills, starts and stops nearly three times a week for more than a month until it was second nature. But I started with toe clips and loose straps.

Great recommendations! Thank you.

MariposaLand

All of my initial spills were slow to no speed, with clipless pedals. Then things started clicking, and I have had no trouble since, and that was on my V20. My last such spill was four years ago. Use flats until you feel comfortable, then go back to clipless. It really is like learning to ride a bike (again), and it does get better/easier with mileage.

That gives me hope! Thank you.

MariposaLand

I rode flats on my mountain bike in the winter (dry roads to snow and ice and with studded tires) and clipless on the commuting bike (touring DF) and mountain bike in the spring, summer, fall until one winter I realized that I was more comfortable with the clipless regardless of the conditions because they gave me better control and it had become absolutely no thought whatsoever when clipping out - as in I don't think about it, it just happens even if I come to a stop at a stop light and do a brake stand I'll then clip out if I need to put that foot down without thinking about it. When I went to the cruzbike it was flats but when I switched to clipless - ahhhh, welcome back - wonderful improvement. If you are ever at all awkward with clipless or tentative in your confidence in your abilities with them, then adding that to the new learning curve of Cruzbike just adds an extra facet that your attention can wander away from. But basically the same thing applies whenever you learn to ride with clipless - clip out earlier than you think you need to and you don't have any problems - we all break this rule and end up on the ground, thankfully that is not as far on a Cruzbike.

I do have an anecdote to share. I went for a functional abilities test for a job I was applying for. It worked out to being something like going to the gym for the first time and having a personal trainer push you pretty hard - pretty worn out muscles everywhere. I was wobbling all over the place drivers probably thought I was drunk at 4:30pm. Normally, I'm in complete control even if it looks slightly wobbly - I felt like I had no control because I couldn't use any backup strength to compensate because I had none.

Thank you so much. I was hoping my experience with DF clipless pedals would transfer to the S40. But unfortunately it has not. I did fall a few times on my DF when I first started using them but haven’t had a problem since. I guess EVERYTHING about the CB has to be relearned.

MariposaLand

I think you will outgrow this as long as you keep up with the learning exercises. When I bought my Q45, I started out with flat pedals as I was learning & did lots of slow figure 8’s. After I was brave enough to clip-in, I wished I had done it sooner. Feels like I have better control of the bike. I won’t go back to flats.

I still find it important to unclip any time I am approaching an intersection or other possible reason I might have to stop or go very slow. Happy to say I haven’t gone down yet, but I have had some close calls.

My Psychotherapist will be glad to hear that. Yes, the clipless pedals make it easier to control once you get a little speed. I just need to focus on that area of my riding and cancel the order for the training wheels! Many thanks

MariposaLand

If I find myself dodging people or obstacles; I keep one foot clipped in and use the other as a counterbalance. Its saved me many times. Slow speed overbalancing and falls you get when you first use clipless pedals albeit like me on a mountain bike. Falling from a cruzbike is easier than falling from a mountain bike. It's good practice to relax. Take the brunt of the force on the handlebar and not on the elbow. An elbow fix is more expensive.

Great idea. I’ll have to practice that and letting my bike take the hit . Thanks much, David!

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
If you're not averse to using MTB pedals, the Speedplay Frogs are amazingly easy to get out of--in a nanosecond!--yet very secure when you're NOT trying to get out of them.

MariposaLand

I decided to get some flat MTB pedals and it really took some mental tension out of riding the bike. I was able to ride very slow with obstacles and not worry about being trapped. I think I will leave the SPDs off for maybe another 100 miles.

That is my plan as well. Platform pedals until I am comfortable with control most of the time. Then move back to SPD or similar. Hopefully control goes up even more at that point :)

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
When switching from flats to clip ins on my S40 I found that it was important to do 3 things: 1) on start up, don’t clip in until well under way and clear of others who may be a bit wobbly on their starts or miss a clip in, 2) when approaching a stop light/sign or other stop, unclip much earlier and coast in to your stop with feet resting on the pedals but not clipped in, and 3) leave 3x following distance you are used to on a DF. It just takes a little more time to react.

Bottom line is to just ride much more cautiously and plan ahead more. You’ll get there.

And everyone flops over when first going to clips ins!

Jim Michon

Hi.......... I don't see anyone mentioning differing types of Shimano SPD cleats, so I'll go with this. I found I absolutely needed the clipless ones to keep my feet from sliding off the pedals when you suddenly slow down and can't keep pressure on the pedals. However, the Shimano SH56 (& similar SH55) Multi directional release cleats are the only ones I would use. I'm not a racer so these are great and release in any direction when needed. ALSO, keep your spring tension to a minimum as necessary to make releases that much easier. I hope that helps?