Should I take clipless pedals off?

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Shimano SPD below is my choice. There are multiple levels/price points. You can clip into either side. As you indicate, keeping tension as low as it will go is a plus, especially when getting started. When I ride gravel I ramp up the tension a bit to keep from bouncing out over rough terrain. I like the broader platform for the additional foot support. The other change I made from my road days is mounting the shoe cleat as far back as possible, approaching a mid foot placement. All the difference in the world. And as I've posted elsewhere, I use 1 cm pedal spindle extenders that have made a huge difference in stability and comfort.

upload_2018-11-13_16-30-20.pngupload_2018-11-13_16-30-20.png

Jim Michon

Shimano SPD below is my choice. There are multiple levels/price points. You can clip into either side. As you indicate, keeping tension as low as it will go is a plus, especially when getting started. When I ride gravel I ramp up the tension a bit to keep from bouncing out over rough terrain. I like the broader platform for the additional foot support. The other change I made from my road days is mounting the shoe cleat as far back as possible, approaching a mid foot placement. All the difference in the world. And as I've posted elsewhere, I use 1 cm pedal spindle extenders that have made a huge difference in stability and comfort.

View attachment 7468View attachment 7468
Why do you think the extenders make such a difference? I've never tried them.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
First, they helped with some IT band soreness I was battling. But secondly I just feel much more stable with a slightly wider stance. I know it seems a bit counterintuitive because the wider stance creates more torque around the head tube when pedaling. All I can think is that the body is very good at countering forces it creates.

Jim Michon

First, they helped with some IT band soreness I was battling. But secondly I just feel much more stable with a slightly wider stance. I know it seems a bit counterintuitive because the wider stance creates more torque around the head tube when pedaling. All I can think is that the body is very good at countering forces it creates.
Paul, thanks for the insight. This is something inexpensive to try and I will do that.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Shimano SM-SH56 cleats that release in ANY direction, are GREAT!!! If set at a very low tension, so your cleat JUST holds, when starting from a stop, as your rotate the crank 180 degree, so the other foot can land on the pedal!

I have M424 on both of my Silvios as Light at 470 gm and has the widest landing platform when starting from a stop as my automatic aiming of my feet to the pedal, is loosing its accuracy with age!
shimano-m424-pedal.jpg

Last edited:

RAR

Speedplat Frogs are the easiest entry and exit I have ever used.! Give them a try. Ratz recommended them. And I do too!

The Brook

+1 on the Frogs, I swear by them (not at them like another pair of pedals I'd previously owned)

Denis

BentSk8r

I use the PD M8020's on my V and the M424's on my MTB with the SM-SH56 cleats on Shimano SH-RT82 shoes (great shoes, kind of a hybrid road-MTB shoe which are quite walkable with SPD's). They are all matches made in heaven. Easy in, easy out. The platforms make a huge difference in guiding things for a quick clip in or to pedal a few strokes unclipped if required.

A buddy uses Frogs and they seem to be a little fiddly, needing some shimming to stop unintended release and the cleats seem to wear a little faster than the SPD's. However, he has been using them for years and is happy.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Speedplay Frogs are the best I’ve ever used. Never had any need for shimming etc; they stay put until you want out and then they are the easiest, fastest, most reliable release available. Imho.

MariposaLand

Shimano SM-SH56 cleats that release in ANY direction, are GREAT!!! If set at a very low tension, so your cleat JUST holds, when starting from a stop, as your rotate the crank 180 degree, so the other foot can land on the pedal!

I have M424 on both of my Silvios as Light at 470 gm and has the widest landing platform when starting from a stop as my automatic aiming of my feet to the pedal, is loosing its accuracy with age!
shimano-m424-pedal.jpg
Super slim. I bought these but haven’t put them on yet since I’m using the trainer. I’ll have to get some new shoes also. I think this will be a good compromise. The flat pedals are great for beginners. I’m ready to move up. Thank you for the recommendation!