Silvio 2.0 Commute in Traffic

Ivan

Guru
Before I ordered my Silvio 2.0, I scoured the forums to find out what it would be like to ride a recumbent in heavy traffic. I could not find much info and the contextual problem also is that "heavy traffic" in one country is not the same as "heavy traffic" in another. I ride my DF to commute in Singapore, a highly urban environment and I share the roads with all sorts of vehicles. How does Silvio 2.0 fare in a commuting environment compared to a DF? Read on...

MY BIKES AND COMMUTES: I own a Brompton S2-LX, the penultimate folding commuter. I would often to multi-modal commuting, riding to the train station, taking the train to work with my Brompton. Then in the evening I would ride 27km home, taking 1hr 10 min. I also own a road bike, Cervelo S2, which I ride BOTH ways to work. Sometimes I take the long route of 46km in the morning and the direct 27km return in the evening. I have been enjoying this. Due to work schedule and recovery time, I don't do this every day but try whenever I can. Now I own a Silvio 2.0 and most of my ride time will be on this commute.

THE RIDE WITH TRAFFIC: Today's Ride -- http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365826131
Singapore is a heavy traffic city, we don't have bike lanes and our roads are not wide. Thankfully, traffic is fairly orderly and the road conditions are generally good. Here is a picture of a typical intersection. This is now my second time commuting to work in this traffic and I am 6 weeks into Silvio (my first recumbent).

IMG_2170.JPG height:592px;

Other riders have said that vehicles give more space to recumbents due to the fact that we are unusual on the road. I have found this to be true. I have now removed the flag I had in previous photos as I feel confident enough. I do not ride very close to the left but usually "take the lane" by riding about 1/4 or 1/3 of the lane from the curb. My awareness of surroundings on Silvio is much better than on my DF due to (a) forward view much better and (b) two mirrors which the position allows me regularly check cars approaching from behind. When I was practicing with the mirror on my DF handlebar I could see behind but not check so regularly as I had to look down to check. With Silvio, I am still looking forward. I must also add that the Zefal Spy looks really nice on Silvio!

Knowing when the take the lane in traffic is essential for safety no matter what bike you ride, however I find it is EASIER to take the lane with Silvio because (a) cars are more curious so slow down and (b) I am going faster on Silvio. My sister also suggested that drivers from behind think I'm handicapped! "It's a miracle!" can perhaps be heard when I stand up at a traffic light.At one point a bus passed me unnecessarily close. This is a common occurrence here. I was pleased that this didn't faze me, in other words, I was as safe on Silvio as on my DF after 6 weeks of riding. At other time I have to stop at an intersection with cars all around me. 2 weeks ago this made me nervous. Now I'm much more natural.

The picture above shows the traffic stopped behind me at a light. I am glad I wasn't on the other side of the road!! Typically when I come to a light I will split the lanes of several cars to get to the front. You can see in the pic about 4 vehicles stopped behind me. Now on Silvio I can do this lane splitting, not 100% as confident as on my DF, but I can do it now. The best for this is my Brompton by the way! With Silvio at my current skill level, I sometimes ride straight through the cars (for example if roads were as wide as in the US), but when it is very tight I will unclip, sit up with my butt on the seat back (not the seat pan), and scoot thru with my feet.

I discovered a particular skill is useful with Silvio/Vendetta in traffic...one needs to be able to be scooting along then, while the bike is moving, slide down into the seat, lift up both legs and begin pedaling away without stopping. Really important in traffic when the cars start moving while you are scooting in between them! I am not as smooth on this yet as on my DF, but my progress rate suggests that I will be there with some more practice.

Another skill that it is important in urban traffic is different types of stopping. The first is the regular stop where I put one foot down, the other stays clipped in and I am still resting my head on the headrest. The second is when I need to stop and stand up and I found it is best to do this in a single fast motion. This can be achieved by putting down both feet while the bike is STILL MOVING. On a Vendetta, or a Silvio setup like mine with low handlebars, one cannot sit up straight while on the seat pan. By putting feet down and sitting up while the bike is STILL MOVING, the forward momentum of the bike helps you stand up and pushes your butt up onto the seat back. If I don't do this then stopping and sitting up is a multi-step affair and takes more energy than this fast method.

IMG_2170.JPG ;

I stopped among nicer surroundings for the above pic near a reservoir I pass by on this long route. On the way here I crested a short hill and met two DF guys. They looked well kitted out in matching jerseys on the training ride. This was a long straight stretch and they looked like strong riders (more muscle on those tall Caucasian bodies than small Asian me anyway). "Good morning!" I yelled as I passed them, then cruised at 40kph on that nice stretch. Was hoping they would give chase but I didn't see them in my rearview mirrors...

On another stretch I managed to catch the draft of a large vehicle. I do this on my DF when I deem it's safe, and was wondering how I would fare on Silvio. The answer...very well! I managed to accelerate to stay with the vehicle then cruised at 40-50kph for 7 minutes until it turned off the main road.

While it is a bit more troublesome storing and wheeling Silvio out my front door than my DF, she more than makes up for this in the ride. I would say that for a short commute of <30 min then the simplicity of a DF may be better. My Brompton excels at these short commutes. But for my long commute which approaches 1 hour (2 hours round trip), the Silvio's speed and comfort is wonderful and with practice one can handle heavy traffic conditions. Though I hardly ever carry luggage (I bring clothes on the days I take the train or drive), I can imagine that Silvio will handle this much better than my road bike. Again for short-rides however, simply wearing a backpack and riding a DF may work, but for long commutes, Silvio is wonderful.

SPEED: After only 6 weeks of riding Silvio 2.0, my first recumbent, my legs are not fully 'bent developed and my skills are not fully developed. However on this ride, a course I frequently take, I averaged 31kph when I usually 28kph on my DF. For a solo ride with some stops and slows due to traffic this is good for me! Yay!

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
From a Fellow Commuter

A very well-written report, Ivan. I too use my Silvio as my primary commuter bike for my commute which is about 22km one-way. Your experience in traffic mirrors mine, except that my location is not anywhere near as developed or busy as yours. At any rate, what South Carolina lacks in traffic volume, it more than makes up for it with bad drivers. Regardless, once I gained experience in driving with traffic, my confidence increased to the point that I feel as comfortable on the Silvio as I do on my upright bike.

Ivan

Guru
Perspiration

Another question I had for a recumbent in a tropical environment in average 80% humidity is what would happen to my sweat, and I sweat a lot! Would my Silvio seat become uncomfortably soggy? The answer for this ride was no... in fact Silvio was surprisingly better perspiration-wise, because on my DF my sweat would drip down and get in my eyes and mess up my sunglasses. Reclined on Silvio, the sweat would not go into my eyes so I didn't have to constantly wipe my face with my gloves. A good thing!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Wow! Ivan, that traffic looks

Wow! Ivan, that traffic looks dense! You are truly brave.

I must say 46Km one way for a commute seems long! You must be one very physically fit worker!

Ivan

Guru
Yippee! I took the other long

Yippee! I took the other long route home, making my round trip 110km. This is significant cos I was always a bit sore and tired after the end of a long day to do both long routes on my DF, but with no body aches on Silvio it was no problem. I stopped for a quick dinner in the way home. This is also significant because Singapore is so small that I literally rode the perimeter of my country on today's commute!! LOL! That is how tiny we are...

Tux, it's 26km one way...46km is the long route when I am feeling up to it. With my sedentary job and its ad hoc hours, commuting is the most reliable way I can do a sport I enjoy and get exercise.

Jeremy S

Dude
That's cool Ivan. Someday I'd

That's cool Ivan. Someday I'd like to try my commute on my Silvio... Google is quoting me about 31 miles (or 50 kilometers) for a ~3 hour ride. Seems like they are assuming a pretty slow pace.

Ian Smith

50km hmmmm

Jeremy, there are riders in every city that regularly to 50km on a DF and some over some very hilly terrain. If it's flat enough there's even the option of a velomobile (with e-assist?). Parking is an issue though. A Silvio would make that distance disappear pretty easily if you didn't have to stop-start all the time.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Traffic comparison, Ivan?

Ivan,

Have you ever been to China, particularly the south? I go to Shenzhen on business many times per year (over the past 2 years, anyway), and while I find auto traffic there to be intimidating, I also have observed that bikes and electric mopeds are an integral part of traffic and they seem to get on fairly well (although I would describe auto traffic as an impending disaster that doesn't actually ever seem to happen.) Your photos remind me of the traffic density in Shenzhen.

Since I tend to be there 2 weeks at a time, I have been tempted to take a Quest 451 in a suitcase and try it out. On the other hand, I do want to survive long enough to retire. On the other other hand, my company pays $1,000,000 USD insurance if I get killed while on company business... hmmm, better not go there!
wink_smile.gif

To folks like me who've never been there, Singapore seems to be a very orderly society; Shenzhen, not so much.

What do you think?

Love the bike, by the way...

Xie xie ni,

Doug

Ivan

Guru
Great Chinese Doug! I am

Great Chinese Doug! ;)

I am actually heading to Shenzhen for the first time next month. I have been to Hainan and that would be great cycling! I have seen traffic in Shanghai and Beijing and the behaviour of vehicles is challenging and very different there, as compared to Singapore, and in Perth, San Diego, CA and Lexington, KY where I have lived. You are right that traffic in most Asian cities is NOT as orderly as in Singapore. The good thing is that traffic is generally slower than in western countries which makes it easier to bike. Since the lanes are also narrower than in most of the west, and there are often no bike lanes in Asia, one needs to know when to "take the lane." Vehicles are not travelling so fast so they have time to see you and change lane. This strategy works well in Singapore, but it would NOT work in China or most parts of India. Here in Singapore I see many Indian cyclists riding as they would in India - that is safe there, but it's terribly dangerous here because traffic behaviour is so different.

Overall, for cycling in traffic, I think it is best for one has to know the culture of the drivers so I would not ride a bike in heavy traffic unless I am familiar with the how drivers of that locality think and behave. I think it's best to be a driver in that country, then one knows how other drivers think and feel -- then I would be safer when riding a bike with those drivers.

Bring the Quest to Singapore instead and I can take you to bike-friendlier sight-seeing places like this one with my daughter...

M5XZ4oeLo6ed94YXJTFba7IX-SqtSq-8I_J4FdIzsOY=w1145-h859-no" ;

Ivan

Guru
Another Commute

Yet another commute in traffic this morning. 25km on my direct route in heavy traffic, with traffic lights and roundabouts, from about 8:30-9:30am. Ride time 52 min plus 10 min stop time; Had one driver honk me when he was irritated that I took the lane when it narrowed, but this is perfectly legal (and much safer) here. Didn't push it very hard as I had a 110km ride 2 days ago, and a 13 hour work day yesterday. Still, my average speed and times were faster than anything on my DF.

I continue to get better at lane-splitting and low speed control. Sprinting is improving, so getting up to 20mph/32kph from a traffic light is much faster now. I am able to change lanes and overtake stopped buses more confidently. I let out an audible whoop today, and laughed out loud when speeding along on a narrow windy road 2 days ago. Can you tell I am enjoying commuting on Silvio?

Don't know if I will ever be able to crawl/pause at a junction while clipped in, check left/right for track and continue riding though. From what I read, this is tougher on any recumbent as compared to a DF.

If you are a DF commuter in a city, you can be a Cruzbike commuter too! The longer your commute, the more benefit a Cruzbike will give you. In fact, you will start plotting longer courses like I am doing now...?While I remain curious about Vendetta, the higher seat pan of Silvio, higher view, and suspension, make good sense for daily riding especially in traffic. That being said, I am sure I would enjoy an even lower recline and Vendetta would do well in traffic. Tough choice for prospective buyers...

Romagjack

"Don't know if I will ever be

"Don't know if I will ever be able to crawl/pause at a junction while clipped in"

I used to do this and thought I had mastered the skill, but ended up falling a few times at stop lights in traffic. I'd hit the pavement while still clipped in, totally embarrassed and got some pizza sized bruises. I've now installed the clips that have one flat side. I've mastered the skill of "unclipping" when approaching a stop light and flipping (flicking the pedals with my feet) to the flat side. I can then "crawl/pause" as necessary. Flicking back to the clips on the fly only takes a second.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I use heel-clips home-made

I use heel-clips home-made from toe-clips, and heel-slings. I don't fancy wearing cleats and shoes and falling over.

Ivan, you got honked for asserting your rights as a road-user. When this happens to me, if I am in front of the honker, I go really slowly and wobble about a lot.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
If you feel that people are

If you feel that people are passing too closely, wobbling will often get you more space when you are being passed.

Please remember, though, at the end of the day, you are on a bike and they are in a car. Stay safe.