Silvio 2.0 - first ride

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Nice. Very, very nice.

This bike is incredibly efficient. Rolls along on the flats at good speed (no cyclometer at this point, but by passing cars I'd estimate 20 mph is just a stroll.) Corners nice and clean.

IMAG0132a.jpg  height:542px

After the first ride, I pushed the bars out about an inch and rotated them up about 8 degrees. This bike really likes a straighter arm position. If the arms are too bent, what looks like a relaxed position actually translates to your arms never really relaxing, because they're hunting for a balanced position. With a little more extension, they find that balance more naturally. So when setting up, err to the side of straighter arms.

Since I'm at the beach, there are no hills to speak of, so no feedback there at this time. The little inclines (actually some are pretty steep) between the roadways zip by effortlessly. I'm using large platform pedals because they work with my beach sandals. The Speedplay Frogs and clipless shoes are waiting at home.

The Ultegra Triple 165mm /Deore drivetrain works very smoothly. The Deore lower derailleur gives me some flexibility for a larger cassette, but the 11/28 cassette I have mounted now works really nicely (of course, that;s on the flat roads around here.)

The suspension just works. Everything is very smooth, but the suspension doesn't announce its existence by adding motion to the ride - it just absorbs vibration - you don't feel the road in the headrest at all.

So John has built a bike just for me. If you've seen some of the conversion bikes I've built, you'll know why I absolutely love the Silvio 2.0

Bruce B

Very Nice

A great job. The yellow accents and the disk brakes are a nice touch.

Would Silvio chainstay extensions allow use of Vendetta Bullhorn bars?

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
compared to the v1 Silvio

I am curious about how much more efficient this iteration is compared to what I ride.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Thanks, Bruce

I thought about using the bullhorns on this build, but I had a nice set of brifters, and John was right, I did find the original bars to work out very well.

But if you're looking for the Vendetta experience, I suspect the bullhorns will work very nicely - and awesome with Di2 components!

Cheers,

Doug