Silvio 2.1 Arrived!

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Is it the photo angle or is

Is it the photo angle or is your left front stay over stressed? How are you running the rear brake line it appears the frame outlet is opposite mine? I like the new decals.

counterpoint

gorgeous??

I just installed my TRP brakes (Hy/Rd front, Spyre rear) but gorgeous? They looked great in the package but on the bike they look like a tumor. If I hadn't opted for carbon wheels I'd be back on rim brakes right now. A recent article in or referenced by Velonews also says that their bulk tends to wipe out any aero gains from aero wheels.
That said, my Silvio isn't rideable yet so maybe the braking power (and modulation) will make me a convert yet. But looks? Meh.

mauler

trplay:  the brake line comes

trplay: the brake line comes out on the left side. Perhaps that was one of the modifications Cruzbike did to the 2.1?

The front stay is fine. The boom was turned to the right when the photo was taken. Thanks for the heads-up!

counterpoint: I guess it's a matter of taste and likes. I love the chromed finish on the Hy|Rd. My other set is on my VK2. They are black so they look quite ordinary.

Since I was introduced to disc brakes back in 1993, I've absolutely disliked rim brakes. Of course, that's my preference.
wink_smile.gif

mauler

Here are some shots of the

Here are some shots of the almost-finished Whisper. 'Almost' because I've yet to attach front and rear lights, a bag, and pump.

IMG_0491(1).jpg

People tell my flight deck is cluttered. Well, maybe.

IMG_0495.jpg

I LOVE how the chrome finish contrasts nicely with the red and black.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

KMC X10SL chain. I ran the derailleur cable under the chainstay for neatness. Shimano SLX 11-36 cassette. I swapped out the original short cage with a medium one from a Shimano XTR derailleur. It's not perfect but it works if I stay off the lowest gear and small chain ring.

IMG_0496.jpg

I raised the front derailleur to avoid chain rub on the cage with on the low gear. No shifting issues.

IMG_0497.jpg

Air bottle for my air horn. That thing has saved my bacon from distracted drivers on more than one occasion.

IMG_0498.jpg

The battery holder is screwed onto one of the bottle holder lugs. The other end of the long cage is zip-tied. Drilled two holes into the booms to hide the cables.

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

mauler

Whisper on

Whisper on the SeaSucker Talon. I search but failed to find information for steering lock. It was not easy hoisting Whisper onto the rack when the front-heavy boom kept swinging.

IMG_0477(1).jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

mauler

I'm not sure if I find this

I'm not sure if I find this amusing or not: post-cruzbike riding, I found my balance on the FBB Velokraft very wobbly!

Not good. Not good at all...!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
dear Mauler,
          Any

dear Mauler,
Any photos of the disc brakes from the front and back?

How is the braking compared to rim brakes?

SS

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Have you used your Talon

Have you used your Talon much? I gave mine to my son for his DF because I would have needed to modify the fork clamp to account for going from 100mm OLD to 130mm OLD or put the bike in backwards the way you have.

I didn't think it would be stable enough backwards with just the single vacuum pump and velcro strap holding the front fork, handlebars, and headset stiffly enough.

I hauled a MTB 2500 miles using my Talon and it was very stable but it was based on that experience that I felt the Cruzbike geometry would not be as stable as I wanted it to be if mounting my Vendetta backwards and I didn't feel like fitting a 130mm OLD adapter to the fork clamp. Although if my son doesn't use the Talon I may request it back and give it a try. Your method is probably just fine for slow speeds and short distances. I typically would use it to go very long distances at highway speeds and on various road surfaces. Like Brighton, MI to Sebring, FL and back for Bike Sebring.

You might also consider removing the seat for transport to cut down on wind resistance and buffeting, especially with the (expensive) bike mounted backwards.

-Eric

mauler

SS:  I am not sure if I know

SS: I am not sure if I know what you mean about the brake photos. There are two photos; one each for the front and back. Do you mean different angles? I'll be happy to post more if that's what you mean.

The braking is fine. Better now that I changed to regular brifters. Cutting back on some bends and angles improved the bite. Shortening the cable also helped.

For me, I prefer the bite of a disc brakes over rim brakes. I think I mentioned somewhere that I am not a fan of rim brakes.

The Hy|Rd feels fine, with plenty of stopping power, good modulation with no fade (from my limited use of the Silvio). I ride in parks where cyclists and pedestrians tend to do stupid things. I suppose I'd prefer to flat spot a tyre than to run over someone.

Eric: You're the dad. Look your boy squarely in the eyes and say, "I want the Talon BACK!" LOL!

Okay, humour aside, I use my SeaSuckers often, which is when I need to transport my ride(s) to the park from the office and then back home. I have both the Talon and Mini Bomber.

I understand what you mean about the Velcro strap on the single sucker holding up the swinging boom. I thought about some means of 'locking' the boom, like cross-strapping it, but I haven't had the time to do that yet. I'm leaving for Japan for a 2-week vacation tomorrow so that will have to wait till the new year.

Removing the front wheel is less of a pain than putting it back on. Perhaps it's my unfamiliarity with the Cruzbike's design, and I haven't glued or otherwise secured the derailleur hanger, so things are a handful for now.

Thanks for the advice on removing the seat. I'll do that the next time!

Roy <-- I figured that my name is better than 'Mauler'
wink_smile.gif

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Very Sleek Silvio 2.1

Your new Silvio looks sleek and expensive!
I'm not sure if I find this amusing or not: post-cruzbike riding, I found my balance on the FBB Velokraft very wobbly!

Not good. Not good at all...!
I've read in forums that mixing a RWD recumbent and a MBB FWD during the learning stage is not very good. Maybe you should ride the Silvio exclusively until your are fully comfortable with it. However riding an upright does not seem to affect the learning process for an MBB design.

It looks to me like your air horn would interfere with your right knee.

Wouldn't the Zefal Spy mirrors be better and more compact than the those mounted on the bar ends?

Otherwise, what a great looking bike!

mauler

Hi ak-tux, thanks for the

Hi ak-tux, thanks for the advice.

I found riding the Silvio very comfortable, even on my first extended ride. At any rate, I think I'll be riding the Silvio more simply because it's new! LOL!

The horn doesn't interfere with any part of my body, which is good. I can't seem to ride without something very loud to tell drivers I exist in very close proximity to them.

The mirrors I took from my Vortex to see how they will do. As was the case with the VK2, this position wasn't ideal, so I'll get the Zefal mirrors after my holiday.

It's a great looking bike! I love the looks, I love the handling, I just love how solid it feels! I can only foresee good days ahead riding this machine!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Mauler,
 photos from

Dear Mauler,
photos from directly in front and behind the bike to see how much the disk brake sits out in the breeze!

I have BB7 disk brakes on my Sofrider and Quest and they are bullet proof, low maintenance and great barking in the wet, when carrying 30 kg of camping gear!!!

In 2015, I will be spending 3 months in Europe on camping bicycle tours, most probably self supported, so good braking that does not require 30 mins. of rim cleaning every night after a day of rain is a bonus.

Can you use a Velcro strip around the front rim and the frame to keep the front wheel straight?

The red brake cables and the polished brakes are stunning!

What is the bracket on the left of the handle bars for?

If you fold down the rear seats, and turn the front wheel back 160 degrees so the BB is against the frame, the bike with out the rear wheel, should fit in the back of the car, as I can fit my V1.0 Silvio, with front wheel in first, in the back of a Hyundai i30 (similar to a Toyota Corolla)

SS

mauler

SS, the pictures will have to

SS, the pictures will have to wait, I'm afraid. I'm at the airport, far from Whisper.

The bracket is Topeak's iPhone 5 Ridecase. This is the handlebar version. There is a steerer tube version but that's not usable on the Silvio.

I thought about strapping the boom to the frame but time ran out on me. It's something I'll try after I return from my vacation.

I'm not keen on stowing my rides in the car. Of course, it's probably the safest way to transport any bike.

I'll apply your idea if I do that in future.

Thanks, again, for your input!

mauler

I didn't really like the

I didn't really like the standard handlebar that came with the Silvio, so I changed it to a standard dropbar.

Oh, yes, I got the Zefal Spy mirrors. They work very nicely!

IMG_0005(1).jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
You may want to experiment

You may want to experiment with the positioning of the Zephal's so you can have the option of cupping/grasping the hoods while riding long stretches with little to no shifting. I found this hand position extremely comfortable and it also seemed to improve my straight line riding and power.

The position of your hands riding the hoods is quite similar to where my hands fit the bullhorns that I changed to on my Vendetta.

Your experience may vary but I encourage you to give it a try to find out how it works for you.

Here is where I positioned mine when I still had the drop bars:

8727696118_5ca2e2c7c8_z.jpg

I could put my hands in the drops, ride the hoods, or grasp the bar inboard of the mirrors for different hand positions. The mirrors gave me a view over my shoulders with the orientation I have for seat recline and handlebar position in my cockpit.

I still have the mirrors in about the same spot on my bullhorns:

10250742003_eb9f6c80fa_z.jpg

-Eric

BentBierz

Handlebar Size

I'm away from my bike right now so not able to measure but was wondering if the Silvio 2.0 stem clamp is still 25.4? Thanks.