Silvio Recumbutt for Larger Riders?

charlesw

Hi!

I'm weighing the pros/cons of the Silvio vs. the Vendetta.

One of the things that worries me about the Silvio is if the recline angle is too upright and might cause recumbutt.

It's kind of a mystery as to what exactly causes RB, but I tend to think it's a combination of body weight and degree of recline (or lack thereof). I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs (hopefully I'll shave that down to 230 with this year's riding season).

What's the experience with RB on the Silvio?

Thanks!

TimOz

None, zero, zip.
I have a

None, zero, zip.

I have a Silvio and I am 6ft 2 and weight a little less than you (but not much). I am new to the Cruzbikes but I can ride 2-3 hours and do 50km on streets and rough bike paths and have absolutely no sign of derrier numbness. I get off feeling tired but I could do it all again.

I have added another 10mm layer of padding to both seat parts but apart from that it is standard. I was using platform pedals and I think I got extra leg tiredness from trying to hold my legs up. I have just fitted PDS pedals and got some shoes. Tried it and they work fine but I have not had time to go for a long ride. Hopefully Saturday.

Rick Newton

I am 6'-2" and 196 pounds, and 54 years old with neck, back, and tailbone problems. I usually get tailbone soreness when sitting on an airline seat for awhile, or "Jeep-seating," as my dad calls it. He had his coxic (tail) bone removed many years ago but still has a problem. My pain is only when I get up out of the seat (airline, etc.), and a little while afterwards. I just rode my Silvio for 33 miles (my second ride,) and no problem so far.
What exactly do you mean by "Recumbutt." Is it just numbness? No problem there. I'll see though after my first century.

randyspann

I''m getting the recumbutt

-- I'm having the problem with recumbutt on the Silvio. I've tried adding padding to the seat bottom, and even replacing the stock padding with walmart sleeping mat foam, in varying thicknesses. But still even on short 15 mile rides, I get the bottom numbness.
Anyone tried something that works?

Silvio 1.0
6'6", 250lbs
Chainstay extension

Maggie's Mommy

recumbutt

I used to get a numb *ss on my burley, but not my Silvio. I did add a couple inches of memory foam (sculpted a pillow from Wally's and used the scrap for a headrest), made new stretchy fabric covers that has the original padding and the memory foam. No numbness. I think my feet will start hurting before my butt goes numb. I used Speedplay Frogs for pedals. I like the float they have.

randyspann

Took your advice

-- Maggie's Mommy: took your advice, and it worked (recumbutt). Thanks for the info!