Silvio/Vendetta aero wheel questions

kidneyboy

I'm considering upgrading the wheels on my Silvio to wheels from - http://www.flocycling.com/wheels.php Currently these are very reasonably priced and seem to get good reviews.

These will eventually go on a Vendetta. So, what is a good combination? First thought is to go with a 60 on the front and a 90 on the back. How much of a difference would this make as opposed to using 60s front and rear?

My training goal is to get avg speeds into the 20+mph range. While I'm dilligently working on upgrading the motor a faster set of wheels may help.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
SWEET WHEELS

Great looking wheels, and I like their Bike for a Kid Program.

I look forward to hearing the experts' opinion on which rim depths are best for aerodynamics on both the Silvio and Vendetta. On a traditional road bike, the front wheel holds to more important aero position. On a DF bike, the front wheel is your leading edge into the undisturbed airstream while the rear wheel lives in the "dirty" air churned up by the front wheel, fork, frame, and your very un aerodynamic, spinning legs.

On the Silvio and Vendetta, the equation may be a bit different as the mass of moving components and your legs take the front position. However, I am also quite aware that the legs are in a different position, presenting a different leading edge beginning with the soles of your cycling shoes/pedal interface.

Whatever the science says, there are some riders here holding world records
wink_smile.gif
that could speak of their experience with different wheelsets. At any rate, these carbon hoops and discs look pretty sweet to me.

kidneyboy

The speedy guys like to

The speedy guys like to clean up the air behind them, hence the 90 on the back. The Flo site reccomends a 60/90 combination for TT type riding.
By any measurement I am not a racer, I'm 57 and a transplant recipient, but the Silvio seems to have opened up a door to higher speeds for me and that has inspired a higher level of training and fitness. Goals are higher because of this. It would be nice to build on that.
Anyway, upgrading wheels on the Silvio and then transferring them to a Vendetta seems a prudent approach. I'm hoping some of the more experienced riders here will chime in.

As an aside, I was going to take the Silvio to the same race that cobra gt ran his, but the heat kept me away. I wish now that I would have gone. It would have been a good test, or starting point, for me. Next year I hope to participate in some competitions (on a V).

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
When I am 57, I hope to be

When I am 57, I hope to be looking forward to averaging 20 MPH too! I figured by your name a transplant was part of your story. Though not as dramatic, I too have had medical issues which have unfortunately limited my cycling. Then i found Cruzbike. Fast, fun and comfortable. I plan to steadily increase my miles once I have one of my own. I have plenty of goals.too; mostly built around long, steep climbs. Speed is a bonus, but for now I will be happy to focus on endurance. My racing days are over, but I can still find plenty of challenges.