Sleepy Feet

CMCINNC

I am new to Cruzbike. My learning is going very well.
One problem I have is numbness in my feet. As a road cyclist on a DB frame I had this problem wearing my road cycling shoes and clipping on. I don't wear cycling shoes on my Q45, make sure to keep my shoes laced loosely, wear "Superfeet Orange all purpose cushion and support insoles" and I shift my feet around on the pedals. Even so the balls of my feet and even the arch forward fall asleep eventually, right foot first. Has anyone found any good solutions to this problem?

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I am no Doctor, but it could be from the elevated feet position and change in blood flow. Have you tried compression socks? I read that they help with blood flow.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I rode DFs for years and battled that same problem. Solved it by losing the super stiff, all carbon fiber sole shoes. I now ride shoes with more flex and give and it makes a great difference. Also ride mtb shoes and cleats because they provide more stability than road shoes. Lately have been riding Shimano xc-5 shoes. They come with about a 100-150 gm penalty over my former Shimano road shoes but the difference is my feet don't go numb and I can walk to the counter to get a post-ride coffee without skating across the floor. Also moved my cleats as far back as the 2-bolt system will allow. Aetrex 2200 innersoles with good arch support also helped me a great deal. Waiting for a shiny new set of Sidi Eagle shoes as he XC-5s are on their last legs.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I wear MTB shoes also. Now, I have 2 pair from Specialized, 1 with the BOA system and the other just velcro straps. This is my 2nd pair with the velcro straps and I like those more than the BOAs. For some reason I can't get them feel consistent across the top of my feet. I too moved my cleats all the way back and it feels tons better, like you. The Sidi Eagles look nice though.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Stock plastic pedals, modified with enough spruce to become custom platform pedals.
Straps were added. Straps function just like toe clips but are lighter and have fewer moving parts.
Shoes are lightweight flat-soled cycling shoes (they look like old-fashioned sprinter's shoes.), with no cleats, heels, or much tread.
And that's my formula or solution for comfortable, powerful, dependable pedaling... for as long as I want.

Mrnelson

Sorry for your issue, I've never had it but it's obviously not uncommon. I've clipped in for years but recently have been experimenting with large platform pedals (like the Catalyst, though there are now many others) that encourage you to move your pedaling position away from the ball of the foot to under the arch. I'm just experimenting with it for reasons of convenience and possibly increased power but some of the research seems to suggest it results in less foot pain. Anyway, something to try. good luck.

billyk

Guru
Is sleepy feet the same as hotfoot?

I used to have that until I loosened my laces a bit and put a small button of stiff foam (~1 inch diameter) under the sole just at the front edge of my arch. I think I learned this from this forum, but can't find it now. It's supposed to spread the bones wider (this it goes with loser laces).

Works for me.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
There are lots of innersoles available that have that small rise just behind the ball of the foot. Don't know what it's called - I'm a tree guy! To me if feels like there's half a tennis ball in my shoe - doesn't work for me. But I know many people who use them and get excellent results. Aetrex makes excellent innersole products in a lot of different styles. I use their 2200 for my non-cycling shoes for arch support.

CMCINNC

Thanks everyone. You've given me some things to try now. Fortunately the problem is worse on my indoor trainer than riding on the roads and trails. And I'm all ready for more outside riding now that Spring is in the air!

I too had difficulty with foot problems. I had Morton's neuroma and had the in-between of my toes injected. This helped but I also have tingling in the balls of my feet. It doesn't seem to make a difference in whether I am using my flat shoes or my cycling shoes. I have the Cycling Innovations Catalyst pedals but I still have tingling in the balls of my feet. I have learned to just accept it as cycling is to important to me to stop.

Tortue

Morton's neuroma here as well. Years of cortisone between the toes, no fun. Had the nerve stripped in 2011. Neuroma came back with a vengeance after a few years.
Discovered Altra and Keen zero drop, wide box shoes. Immediate and long term relief of foot issues. I'm now the Imelda Marcos of zero drop shoes.
When pedaling, I don't have the option of transferring my effort to my heel, like when I'm standing or walking. It's not the pedaling that causes the problems, it just highlights them.
By fixing the overall walking/working shoe problems, my feet had a chance to heal properly and cycling never bothered me again, unless I do something stupid, which... well y'know...

Last edited:

CMCINNC

Stock plastic pedals, modified with enough spruce to become custom platform pedals.
Straps were added. Straps function just like toe clips but are lighter and have fewer moving parts.
Shoes are lightweight flat-soled cycling shoes (they look like old-fashioned sprinter's shoes.), with no cleats, heels, or much tread.
And that's my formula or solution for comfortable, powerful, dependable pedaling... for as long as I want.

Can you post a picture? Thanks!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I read through this thread and did not see anyone suggest mid-sole cleats. I don't think I have ever had "sleepy feet" ,but moving my cleats to mid sole solved any hot-foot problems I had.
I can ride all day with no issues.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I read through this thread and did not see anyone suggest mid-sole cleats. I don't think I have ever had "sleepy feet" ,but moving my cleats to mid sole solved any hot-foot problems I had.
I can ride all day with no issues.

Can’t say mine are mid sole but I ride mtb shoes/cleats w them slammed as far back as possible. I call it sort of mid position!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Plus one larry o. Mid sole cleated shoes. Move those cleats back as far as possible.. try for biggest interface between shoe and cleat as possible..hot foot tingling is a royal pain. I’ve found my flexy shimano sandals to be the worst offender.