Small order of Carbon Full Disc wheels coming to CB headquarters

Maria Parker

Administrator
Hi Cruzbike Racers,

We've ordered some through axle, tubeless compatible carbon fiber disc wheels that will work with the rear drop-outs on the new V20c (or the through axle S40.) They are en route now. I'm planning on using one at the World Time Trial Championships in Borrego Springs in early November. If you would like to purchase one, please contact me at maria@cruzbike.com. I don't yet know how much they weigh, but your cost will be about $995. We've got 8. Let me know!

Robert Volk

Hi Cruzbike Racers,

We've ordered some through axle, tubeless compatible carbon fiber disc wheels that will work with the rear drop-outs on the new V20c (or the through axle S40.) They are en route now. I'm planning on using one at the World Time Trial Championships in Borrego Springs in early November. If you would like to purchase one, please contact me at maria@cruzbike.com. I don't yet know how much they weigh, but your cost will be about $995. We've got 8. Let me know!
question; are those for rim brake, disc brake, or no brake?

Is anyone aware of a simlar option to suit V20 with rim brakes? I would be after a full disc that is tubless compatible optimal width for 25mm tubeless tyres.

Thanks!

Don1

Guru
Um, yeoleo do them. So do carbonbikekits.com and a whole host of suppliers on AliExpress. Prices vary from 800-1200 aud.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
These should fit 23/25 and maybe 28's but don't quote me on the 28's for fit - as I haven't seen the wheels personally.

Last edited:
Um, yeoleo do them. So do carbonbikekits.com and a whole host of suppliers on AliExpress. Prices vary from 800-1200 aud.
I checked the Yoeleo website and can't see any front wheels? Am I missing something? I have Yoeleo 88mm wheels, so would be good brand match a disc for the back (front) with them. I have the wheel covers, but they seem a bit ghetto, and I am not convinced they are much if any advantage over the 88mm wheel without covers (you use tape and clips to fit them, and with the joins, the aero benefits may only barely make up for the drag they add with the joins).

When I look at the V20 which puts the rear wheel top half in the shadow of the rider, I think a rear disc wheel is not as beneficial as a DF. Seems most of the benefit is in the bottom half of the wheel, and if you have a deep ~90mm wheel already, the benefits are less. I think a really nice wheel that has good mating to tyre and smooth without joins etc. for drag would be beneficial still.

Apollo

I checked the Yoeleo website and can't see any front wheels? Am I missing something? I have Yoeleo 88mm wheels, so would be good brand match a disc for the back (front) with them. I have the wheel covers, but they seem a bit ghetto, and I am not convinced they are much if any advantage over the 88mm wheel without covers (you use tape and clips to fit them, and with the joins, the aero benefits may only barely make up for the drag they add with the joins).

When I look at the V20 which puts the rear wheel top half in the shadow of the rider, I think a rear disc wheel is not as beneficial as a DF. Seems most of the benefit is in the bottom half of the wheel, and if you have a deep ~90mm wheel already, the benefits are less. I think a really nice wheel that has good mating to tyre and smooth without joins etc. for drag would be beneficial still.
There are two schools of thought on the matter. First one is what you said and applies mostly to DFs. Second school of thought will apply to recumbents more is a rear disc wheel could behave as a narrow tail fairing by dividing the rider's wake into two smaller areas of turbulence, partially streamlining the bike+rider. Hard to describe. Check the following images.

Interesting!!

Where does the covering of the rear triangle fit into this? As in if the rear triangle was covered (effectively covering the front half of the wheel to an extent), would that reduce the benefits of the full disk (top half).

I should say, I think the full disc is the quickest option all else equal, but I wonder how much benefit there is over a good 80-100mm deep wheel on a V20.... is it <1W or >10W at 40kph?

Apollo

Interesting!!

Where does the covering of the rear triangle fit into this? As in if the rear triangle was covered (effectively covering the front half of the wheel to an extent), would that reduce the benefits of the full disk (top half).

I should say, I think the full disc is the quickest option all else equal, but I wonder how much benefit there is over a good 80-100mm deep wheel on a V20.... is it <1W or >10W at 40kph?
I wish I could answer the triangle aspect of the equation but don't know because I don't have a Vendetta and never covered that area. Others would know better, especially Larry, who is the king of Vendetta applied aerodynamics theory. What I do know is the Vendetta would benefit most from a rear disc for two reasons. First one is obvious because of sheer speed. It's faster than any other Cruzbike. The faster you ride the more aerodynamics plays a role at mitigating speed potential. Secondly, the seat angle and height from the ground is lower. That means more of the rider's body is being 'faired' by the rear disc wheel on a Vendetta. It's more like a lowracer than any other Cruzbike. Of course, true lowracers see the most benefit because the rider's entire body is being faired by the disc wheel. Hope this helps.

TransAm

There are two schools of thought on the matter. First one is what you said and applies mostly to DFs. Second school of thought will apply to recumbents more is a rear disc wheel could behave as a narrow tail fairing by dividing the rider's wake into two smaller areas of turbulence, partially streamlining the bike+rider. Hard to describe. Check the following images.

Yes, the critical issue is the shedding of unsteady Von Karmen Vortices which produce high drag. Splitting the flow reduces this tendency.