So confusing, the FWD stuff!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
It gets so confusing, FWD, RWD... I went to the bike shop to get cones and bearings for my rear wheel.

Bike shop dude: Those wheels have sealed bearings in the rear axle.

Me: No, it doesn't, I tore it apart just today, it's got...... Make that cones and bearings for the front axle. :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

I'm shopping for a set of wheels and a lot of the "off-the-shelf" wheels have radially laced fronts (our rear wheels) and I don't think that's suitable, especially for a load like me.

Oh well.

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Sure is, imagine going to Taiwan and ordering parts, at every turn there is someone to give you the best of their advice on what goes where.

Me: "Lets put the big disk rotor on the rear wheel and the small one on the front."
Them, with laughing derisory expression, thinking, gee is the guy green: "No, no, large disk goes on the front wheel". :roll:

What do you say now given the person you are talking to has been selling bicycle parts for 30 years, you are jet lagged, culture shocked and lack any Chinese language?

Yep its a recurring problem alright, then you ride past and see the blank look. :mrgreen:

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Disk wheel on the back... make that a front wheel, please;
'mag' (aero!) wheel on the front... that'd be a rear wheel, naturally.
Thank you.
Thank you, very much.
:D
-Steve
(-has left the auditorium.)
:lol:

silverlugs

Mark B wrote: It gets so confusing, FWD, RWD... I went to the bike shop to get cones and bearings for my rear wheel.

Bike shop dude: Those wheels have sealed bearings in the rear axle.

Me: No, it doesn't, I tore it apart just today, it's got...... Make that cones and bearings for the front axle.
If you're the one who originally disassembled the wheel, why did you take BOTH wheels to the LBS in the first place? And why didn't you request JUST the needed parts?.... [you] "do you have bearings and cones for 'front' wheel that look like these?" (shows the bike shop employee the needed parts). You serve only to confuse the issue for the bike shop employee when you mention application.

Mark B wrote: I'm shopping for a set of wheels and a lot of the "off-the-shelf" wheels have radially laced fronts (our rear wheels) and I don't think that's suitable, especially for a load like me.
Radial laced wheels are actually stronger than x-lacing. The only reason for x-lacing is to resist torsional loads caused by disk brakes or drive wheel usage.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
silverlugs wrote: If you're the one who originally disassembled the wheel, why did you take BOTH wheels to the LBS in the first place? And why didn't you request JUST the needed parts?....
I didn't take any wheels in. I asked for cones for my rear wheel, not thinking about it actually being a front wheel. I did not confuse anybody other than myself. That was the point. It got sorted out just fine, thanks!

Mark