Sofrider arived an hour ago, YES!

mi7d1

Well my Sofrider (used) from Bryan arrived via FedEx an hour ago. I took a quick inventory of parts. There were a few surprises. Not of major importance the package was missing was the chain and pedals. But there is one small part missing that I feel is important. The part is the small brass sleeve/guide that is in the stem clamp to the adjustable boom off of the front triangle. I have one of the two. If my description isn't clear I can take a photo. Please someone help me get this part. I feel that I got a pretty good deal from Bryan. He has come through for me twice now with two different bikes, but it just takes a long time for him to ship, or maybe it's just me. About two weeks ago he sent me a package with a set of Bontrager Superstock wheels. They are a good looking wheelset. So it was to my surprise and very welcome that in the box today the back wheel was also included. The Bontrager wheelset has quick releases but I guess I need another axle for the back wheel. What size do I ask for at the LBS?

The Sofrider isn't ridable yet. I've only sat on it so far :D But my very first impression is WOW! The front triangle is about half the weight of my home made version. :shock: I have no doubts that alone will make ridding much nicer. The seat, well what can I say? Just about anything would be more comfortable than my wooden slat seat.

It's Kool-Aid time

johnrlowe

Ok....I need a little advice. I got my V2 about a week and a half ago. Took a couple or three days to assemble, in the evenings. Then I took it to my LBS for final adjustments. Got it back this afternoon. I went to a deserted parking lot to begin the learning process. I got rolloing downhill and got my feet to the pedals. Of course, like most other folks, I was suprised by how strange things felt. I probably rode a little under two miles in the parking lot. I fell once. I was not able to start on the pedals from a dead stop. I had to get rolling downhill first and even then, I was shaky. Also, my knees hit the handle bars, but my leg is fully extended when I pedal. Any advice on the learning process, and any advice on the knee's hitting the bars? It all looks so easy on the videos. I must be doing something wrong.
All advice will be most welcome.
John

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
mi7d1 wrote: Well my Sofrider (used) from Bryan arrived via FedEx an hour ago. I took a quick inventory of parts. There were a few surprises. Not of major importance the package was missing was the chain and pedals. But there is one small part missing that I feel is important. The part is the small brass sleeve/guide that is in the stem clamp to the adjustable boom off of the front triangle. I have one of the two. If my description isn't clear I can take a photo. Please someone help me get this part. I feel that I got a pretty good deal from Bryan. He has come through for me twice now with two different bikes, but it just takes a long time for him to ship, or maybe it's just me. About two weeks ago he sent me a package with a set of Bontrager Superstock wheels. They are a good looking wheelset. So it was to my surprise and very welcome that in the box today the back wheel was also included. The Bontrager wheelset has quick releases but I guess I need another axle for the back wheel. What size do I ask for at the LBS?

The Sofrider isn't ridable yet. I've only sat on it so far :D But my very first impression is WOW! The front triangle is about half the weight of my home made version. :shock: I have no doubts that alone will make ridding much nicer. The seat, well what can I say? Just about anything would be more comfortable than my wooden slat seat.

It's Kool-Aid time

Bill,

Please post a picture if you can, so I can check my parts pile.

I assume you bought Bryan's V1...?

Enjoy,

Doug

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
johnrlowe wrote: Ok....I need a little advice. I got my V2 about a week and a half ago. Took a couple or three days to assemble, in the evenings. Then I took it to my LBS for final adjustments. Got it back this afternoon. I went to a deserted parking lot to begin the learning process. I got rolloing downhill and got my feet to the pedals. Of course, like most other folks, I was suprised by how strange things felt. I probably rode a little under two miles in the parking lot. I fell once. I was not able to start on the pedals from a dead stop. I had to get rolling downhill first and even then, I was shaky. Also, my knees hit the handle bars, but my leg is fully extended when I pedal. Any advice on the learning process, and any advice on the knee's hitting the bars? It all looks so easy on the videos. I must be doing something wrong.
John

The only thing I can suggest is to perservere. The first time is always the worst time.. I'd be willing to bet that the next time you roll it out, you'll do a little better. It took me about three evenings before I was even willing to try streets with traffic. You'll get it, though and the learning curve will shorten more and more every time you get on it.

Mark

Flasharry

johnrlowe wrote: Ok....I need a little advice. I got my V2 about a week and a half ago. Took a couple or three days to assemble, in the evenings. Then I took it to my LBS for final adjustments. Got it back this afternoon. I went to a deserted parking lot to begin the learning process. I got rolloing downhill and got my feet to the pedals. Of course, like most other folks, I was suprised by how strange things felt. I probably rode a little under two miles in the parking lot. I fell once. I was not able to start on the pedals from a dead stop. I had to get rolling downhill first and even then, I was shaky. Also, my knees hit the handle bars, but my leg is fully extended when I pedal. Any advice on the learning process, and any advice on the knee's hitting the bars? It all looks so easy on the videos. I must be doing something wrong.
John

I suggest, not having your legs fully stretched out at the bottom of the stroke will help with manoeuvrability and control.
To get more clearance for your knees, slide the stem up so it is only half on the steering tube extension (thread lock applied to this area is a good idea), sliding the seat forwards will lower the BB thus giving more clearance to the bars but, failing that, if you are really tall, you will need a shorter stem.
As you are doing, lean to ride from a rolling start first and then try standing starts.
For standing starts, allow the bike to turn away from the side you are pushing the peddle.

Keep practicing, you will get there and you will be very pleased with the results.

Regards.
Stuart
V2 owner

mi7d1

Hi Doug,

I didn't see your message yesterday. Off topic request here. If you have any sway can you get the thread subscription working?

Yes, my Sofrider was purchased from Bryan at BROL. Below are two photos of the part I believe I'm missing. I have one of two. At least I think I'm suppose to have two. If you have an extra one to spare, let me know the cost including shipping and I'll can PayPal it to you if that works. Hmm... Upon looking at the photos, I wonder if that part is a standard bronze bushing like I can get at my local Ace Hardware store. I know they have flanged bushings but not if the one on the Sofrider is a standard size.

2434341922_aa19848e30_o.jpg

2434341864_2a99b1feb8_o.jpg

Hardtailcruzer wrote:
mi7d1 wrote: Well my Sofrider (used) from Bryan arrived via FedEx an hour ago. I took a quick inventory of parts. There were a few surprises. Not of major importance the package was missing was the chain and pedals. But there is one small part missing that I feel is important. The part is the small brass sleeve/guide that is in the stem clamp to the adjustable boom off of the front triangle. I have one of the two. If my description isn't clear I can take a photo. Please someone help me get this part. I feel that I got a pretty good deal from Bryan. He has come through for me twice now with two different bikes, but it just takes a long time for him to ship, or maybe it's just me. About two weeks ago he sent me a package with a set of Bontrager Superstock wheels. They are a good looking wheelset. So it was to my surprise and very welcome that in the box today the back wheel was also included. The Bontrager wheelset has quick releases but I guess I need another axle for the back wheel. What size do I ask for at the LBS?

It's Kool-Aid time

Bill,

Please post a picture if you can, so I can check my parts pile.

I assume you bought Bryan's V1...?

Enjoy,

Doug

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Bill,

That's not a standard part at the hardware store,

but it may be one of the bushings that gets shipped with the conversion kit, one of the ones that confuses everyone because you don't need it for the kit assembly.

I will check it out and get back to you; I think I have a pair in the "Cruzparts" bin in the garage.

Be well,

Doug

mi7d1

I did ride (in the rain) yesterday to the hardware store. They had flange bushings but nothing small like these are. What I can tell is that these bushings are more for safety than anything else. With the one I have, I noticed that the pivot shaft will not slide out on that side due to the flange. However it will slide out of the side without the bushing. So my guess is that if one of the bolts holding the adjustable boom on were to fall out the flange bushings would prevent the shaft from coming out also.

I only need one bushing to complete the pair.

I have read about people with the Cruzbike kits being confused about some bushings. How is the kit different and why doesn't the kit use these bushings. If you have a kit could take a photo of that clamp area with out the boom attached, like my second photo, it would help me to understand better I think.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Bill,

E-mail me your address and I'll send you a bushing.

The kit differs in that the chainstays attache to a pair of adapter brackets that bolt to the donor bike fork, rather than the aluminum fork supplied on the full-up bikes. The bronze bushings mate the chainstay with the fork, but plastic ones are used for the kit bracket. For whatever reason the supplier sends the bronze bushings in the kit in the same parts bag as the stem cap screw extension.

Be well,

Doug

mi7d1

Hardtailcruzer wrote: Hi Bill,

The bronze bushings mate the chainstay with the fork, but plastic ones are used for the kit bracket. For whatever reason the supplier sends the bronze bushings in the kit in the same parts bag as the stem cap screw extension.

Be well,

Doug

PM sent with my address.

Why would the kit use plastic bushings and not the bronze ones like the Cruzbike fork? In my homebuilt version I didn't use any bushings for the chainstay. I thought about it but didn't leave any room for them when I originally constructed the part. I decided in the end just to use lubrication for that part. The tolerances were tight to begin with and I felt that wear would be minimal. It comforts me to know the kit is not using bronze bushings there.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master

The kit differs in that the chainstays attache to a pair of adapter brackets that bolt to the donor bike fork, rather than the aluminum fork supplied on the full-up bikes. The bronze bushings mate the chainstay with the fork, but plastic ones are used for the kit bracket. For whatever reason the supplier sends the bronze bushings in the kit in the same parts bag as the stem cap screw extension.

Be well,

Doug

Doug, the bushing in the picture is the one where the TFT attaches to the stem. That's the big bushing.

Mark

mi7d1

Mark B wrote:

Be well,

Doug

Doug, the bushing in the picture is the one where the TFT attaches to the stem. That's the big bushing.

Mark

OK, I've read several post mentioning the acronym 'TFT'. I know which part it's referring to but what does TFT mean?

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Bill,

Mark is correct. It looks the same but is smaller, I pulled my kit bike apart to check it.

Lemme see what else I can come up with.

Sorry,

Doug