Sofrider II - question about boom adjustment

Frank Costantini

On my newly-purchased Sofrider II, adjusting the boom took a bit of force, more than on other Cruzbikes. I thought it was stiff from not having been moved in a while, but I hadn’t noticed that there is a hex nut that can be loosened in the hinge/pivot point under the bottom bracket. Should this hex nut be loosened every time the boom length is adjusted?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
If this was my Sofrider II, I would disassemble the bicycle, clean all of the bearings, lubricate, and then reassemble.
Then I would pay attention to the brakes, cables, spokes, pedals, and everything.

But first things first: the boom. The boom (TFT) is dry and stiff.
The axles that the TFT pivots on are split and if the pivot is dry or starved of grease, it will be stiff.
Disassemble and clean the pivots/plain bearings at both ends of the TFT, regrease and reassemble.
Just wipe the dust off of the tubes with a clean dry rag. You really do not want to lubricate the TFT tubes, where the adjustment clamp does its job!
While you're at it, why not service the swingarm bearing? It's the same bearing that the boom (TFT) uses.

Odds are very good that your new-to-you Sofrider hasn't been serviced since it left the factory.

Frank Costantini

Mr. Steve, thanks for the suggestions. Do you know if there are images or instructions anywhere on how do this (take apart and reassemble these pivots/bearings?) It’s not something I’ve done before. Is Park Tools PPL-1 grease good for this purpose, or would I need another type of grease. Thanks, Frank

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
I cannot find any mechanical drawings online, on the Apache server that the Cruzbike website is on or even in my files.
The bearings are very simple:
-Sintered bushings;
-Axle. The axle is in two pieces which screw together to form the axle.

It's easy stuff, this bicycle mechanic-ing thing, but I have been at it for over fifty years: take your time and do a good job.

The all-purpose high-temperature automotive axle grease that I use is more than adequate, especially since it's replaced every riding season.
PPL-1 lube will outperform the grease I'm using, so it's fine.

Frank Costantini

When I remove the two pieces of the axle, will the boom and chainstay come apart, and if so, is it difficult to realign them? Do the bushings also come out? Any need to remove the cranks/chainring to do this?