Sofrider v2 + HPV Streamer fairing

GRR

Inspired by fearless ice-biker Peder, I purchased an HP Velotechnik Streamer fairing last fall and undertook to create a mounting adapter that would allow me to attach it to a Sofrider v2. Peder's v1 is similar in most regards, but I believe the v2's cable-pulley for the front derailleur has no analogue on the v1.

At any rate, I didn't have access to a machine shop, welding torch, or aluminum I-beams of the sort Peder used, so my approach was necessarily a bit lower-tech. I did have some moderately heavy-duty aluminum tubes lying around in the back yard, though, and cutting up one of them seemed like a reasonable approach. Fabrication of version 1 of the adapter is chronicled here. Sadly, it did not end well:

206_7d6d926e04f40665fbf0dd6e3d7863d1

Version 2, however, is steel-reinforced and significantly stronger:

206_1378429ab1ef052d262872978f88c6db

206_b15ce1c986d2cdc5973a5b79982ca3ca

So far I've ridden over 500 miles with the v2, and it's working out rather nicely. I'll add one more picture in my next posting...

GRR

206_618a68fda0d3e1fb1d47b3fce2d456ab

As you might guess from the photo, the fairing does add even more mass/rotational inertia to the Cruzbike's steering, but that's more than offset by its (California) winter-riding benefits: namely, rain protection and keeping the wind off my legs and fingers. (I've worn lycra pants on only one 38-degree [F] night ride so far, and I was hot by the time I got home... Numb fingers still occur from time to time [even with ski gloves], but far less frequently.)

Greg

You experienced what many of us have the first prototype doesn’t work so well. It’s not always easy to get it right the first time. The good thing is it works now and you are satisfied with the streamer. The streamer does fit most recumbents but the Sofrider is different so you need an extra bracket for it to fit probably. So if some else in the future wants a streamer they know it can be done. The bracket I use is very small, strong and in aluminium.

Peder

GRR

Peder Torgersen wrote: You experienced what many of us have the first prototype doesn’t work so well. It’s not always easy to get it right the first time. The good thing is it works now and you are satisfied with the streamer.

Indeed. Your own experience and photos were immensely helpful to me. I also want to note that you offered to build me an adapter, which I very much appreciated even though I didn't take you up on it. (I was too impatient. :roll:)

Mark B wrote: MaGyver has nothing on you!

Heh...thanks, Mark! (Oddly enough, I'm a big fan of Rick Anderson, but mostly in his Stargate SG-1 persona...)

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Peder Torgersen wrote: You experienced what many of us have the first prototype doesn’t work so well. It’s not always easy to get it right the first time. Peder

Amen.

I have little pieces of "tuition" all over the garage. A milling machine can turn useful metal stock into worthless little trinkets at a breathtaking pace!

Glad you were able to solve the problem. The Streamer is a great fit for the SR!

Best,

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Hardtailcruzer wrote:
Peder Torgersen wrote: You experienced what many of us have the first prototype doesn’t work so well. It’s not always easy to get it right the first time. Peder

Amen.

I have little pieces of "tuition" all over the garage. A milling machine can turn useful metal stock into worthless little trinkets at a breathtaking pace!

One can never have too many paperweights. :roll:

Mark