Sofrider

jbruns8234

CycleAddict
I have a 2011 v2 modified by previous owner with roadie wheels 700x23 and brakes long reach calipers stock shifter that it came with from Cruzbike.On the last overhaul LBS put on sram cassette 830-8 Cas28319053T, Altus chainrings 28x38x48 Alt3247518D, new crank not sure size and new BBS30688076D.
My question is seat angle. I think seat is stock and set on lowest angle, but after several hours of hard road riding I get a sore butt. The photo on my bio is accurate except I removed rear bag and put one under the seat for less weight. Does anyone have any suggestion? Can the seat be lowered ?

Last edited:

McWheels

Off the long run
I did slide them down an inch for better visibility, but they're the same ones I've had all the way through, same angle of dangle too.

I took a little time to acclimitise to the arms being a little further extended, but no more than a few miles. I wondered if I should get 'drops' and the like, but that went away quite quickly because 1. I didn't need them; 2. It would be costly; 3. The Sturmey-Archer twist-shifter wouldn't get past the first radius.

I often pine for a fast commuting S40. I suppose I shall have to wait for the win on the lottery I don't play.

jbruns8234

CycleAddict
Thanks I describe mine as the poor man’s Silvio. A Silvio frameset came on this forum in October, but I didn’t get it.

jbruns8234

CycleAddict
Put simply yes, you can lower the seat. You need a new seat post to do it. I went with a layback version, and reversed the seat-post clamp to get down to somewhere in the 35-40 deg region.

View media item 208
For example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-BACK...=item5b52340158:g:AggAAOSwZ-9cNKKq:rk:14:pf:0

And I think I needed one of these too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Sea...nBFimOEj2aPH7yYnvbqQ:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Do you remember the name of the seat post and the other thing that goes with it. The eBay links have expired and I have decided to give changing the post a try.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Moving the seat pan forward also results in lower seat angle possible but also affects seat pan angle and bottom bracket position.

McWheels

Off the long run
Do you remember the name of the seat post and the other thing that goes with it. The eBay links have expired and I have decided to give changing the post a try.

It was quite literally a search on eBay for "layback" within the seatpost category. I forget the diameter I needed, but there are adaptors if the one you want is too thin. The final trick was to reverse the seat clamp, which is fiddly but worth 3 or 4 degrees on its own.
Like this