softrider or quest

Lisa Frohmann

I am new to cruz bikes. Before my injury I rode 125 miles a week communting and an occasional century. I am ready to ride again but need a new bike. I have to keep my arms in a neutral position so I do not tax my neck and shoulders. I live in Chicago so the terrain is flat, on occasion I like to head to southern WI with hills.

What do you all advise? Appreciate your assistance.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Lisa,
Either should work.

Hi Lisa,

Either should work. The Quest (particularly with the smaller 451 wheels) is very nice as you can pack in a suitcase and take it with you.

For most of Chicagoland (where my parents live in Highland Park, they do have some "real" hills), the gearing on either would be fine. For real hills, I either recommend the Quest 451 (smaller wheels) or putting a triple crank on the Sofrider (which can be done at any point).

Cheers,
Charles

Rod

Hi Lisa,
I chose a cruzbike

Hi Lisa,
I chose a cruzbike because I wanted to have a bike that would give me a road bike experience instead of the total upright ride I was getting from my cruser. I broke my neck a number of years ago and have a neck fussion. This made ridding a DF road bike imposible, because I can not crain my neck in the position needed to ride a DF. I have a Silvio and live in Aurora, IL. If you are interested in seeing what a Silvio looks like we could surely make it happen. My son and his family lives in Chicaco in the Hide park area.

jwitten

My perspective...

Hi Lisa.

You'd probably like either. Please keep in mind that there is a learning curve with any Cruzbike, and a bit of practice in an open parking lot is required to get the hang of the front-wheel drive system.

I own both a Sofrider and the smaller wheel (451) Quest, so here is my perspective.

The Sofrider is an excellent bike! It is a bit heavier than the Quest, but the suspension seems a bit cushier and smoother as well. Every once in a while I will bottom out the shock on the Quest (railroad tracks, speed bumps,etc.). Keep in mind that I probably weigh a bit more than you at 200 pounds. I also may not have the Quest shock dialed in quite right as I have only had it for a month or so. Since bike weight is less of an issue on flatlands, it would likely be a fine bike for you.

The Sofrider has traditional cantilever brakes, whereas the Quest has disk brakes. The Sofrider has a double front chainring and derailleur, whereas the Quest has a 3 speed internal SRAM DualDrive II hub. Like Charles, I have found that I really need lower gearing for the hills in the Pacific Northwest, so I am in the process of installing a triple chainring on the front of the Sofrider. Nicer components equals greater cost for the Quest, but both systems work just fine. One nice feature about the internal hub is that it can be shifted to a lower gear while the bike is at rest. This can be handy when coming to a quick stop without downshifting, and trying to get going again. Trying to get going in a high gear is more cumbersome on a front-wheel drive bike than a rear wheel due to the twisting force on the front-wheel that must be counteracted with the arms and shoulders. Depending upon your injury, this may or may not be a problem for you. In riding at speed, the arms are pretty relaxed, but when pulling away from a dead stop, or climbing hills, the arms and shoulders are definitely working. It is a pulling-pushing motion with the arms to counter the torque places on the pedals. You may want to try one first, but then again, Cruzbike has a great return policy if you order one and find that it doesn't wotk for you.

I bought the 451 Quest for its portability. I am an airline pilot and am now traveling with it. It is not a simple fold and go bike, but it can be dissasembled and packed in a suitcase relatively quickly (30-40 minutes or so). Assembly takes just a bit longer. Surprisingly, I really like the 451 wheels, and I would highly recommend them for anyone of smaller stature who primarily rides on pavement. The bike sits a bit lower to the ground than with 26" wheels, and for some reason, it just seems a bit easier to ride. The closeness to the ground may also make you feel more comfortable as it is easier to sit up and place your feet on the ground when coming to a stop. Since it is a bit lighter, it is also a bit quicker, and also easier to pick up and put on a rack. I bought mine used from a fellow who had an artificial hip. The recumbent position put too much strain on his joint, so it didn't work for him.

To me, the Sofrider is the sturdy, less expensive, "do everything" Cruzbike (commuting, touring, trailer towing), and the Quest is the more refined step up for those who can spend a bit more. I'd be hard pressed to pick between the two of them, but if I had to choose just one, I'd probably go for the Quest. It's lighter, has nice components, it looks cool, and I like the orange color. I actually ride the Sofrider while at home, and the Quest while traveling so I don't have to unpack and put the Quest together as often. I find the Quest to be a bit faster, but as a recreational rider out for fun and enjoyment, speed is not all that important to me.

If you are new to recumbents, you'll also likely struggle a bit with rear visibility as its just not as easy to turn the head and glance backwards as on a DF. I've tried handlebar mounted mirrors, as well as helmet and eyeglass mounted mirrors. They were okay, but I was really looking for a better solution. I recently installed a set of larger moped mirrors that I got on eBay, and my visibility is now exceptional. I know tht the more hardcore riders would mock me for my setup, but that's okay. I turned 50 this year, and I'm not out to impress anyone anymore. I'm more interested in keeping safe, living to see my kids grow up, go to college, get married, and have kids. Here is a photo. I left the smaller bike mirror on the end of the handlebar for size perspective. I also have an iPhone mount and a set of small speakers that work amazingly well.

Anyway, I hope this all helps.

Jeff

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hi Jeff,
Your mirrors look

Hi Jeff,

Your mirrors look fine but how do you ride sideways like that? :)

-Eric

jwitten

Regarding my comment about the Quest Shock

In my above post I mentioned that the Quest shock didn't seem to function quite as well as the one on the Sofrider. As it turns out, the shock was on the lightest setting which was allowing it to bottom out quite often. After learning how to properly adjust it, it is now tuned to support my weight, and works quite well!