Softrider Shock

jond

Zen MBB Master
I think you are Too long in the tooth, to be a shark!!!

david you are nearly 70 years young. I am at least a decade younger making you longer in any tooth you may still possess.

Here is some hanging bents and a dinosaur bike for your distraction and perusal a v3 And now I’ve a date with a trainer......kickr I loathe.9B432B77-070B-4DE9-B907-E20C72DF0F28.jpeg 9E370381-7F65-4FF9-B39F-4FBC4EE78691.jpeg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jond, I am only 59 yrs old, TRUST ME!!!!!!!

The Yellow V2 with the HUGE polished AL slide tube? is still the best looking Cruzbike!!!!!
Is that the one you rode from Perth to Adelaide on?

jond

Zen MBB Master
Jond, I am only 59 yrs old, TRUST ME!!!!!!!

The Yellow V2 with the HUGE polished AL slide tube? is still the best looking Cruzbike!!!!!
Is that the one you rode from Perth to Adelaide on?

yes that’s the one. Yes I think it’s beautiful and signed by JT and is also retired. It has great sentimental value to me and I’ll never part with it. Couple hours with some cutting polish and buff wheel and the boom pops pops pops. Oooh shiney

The v20 was a step up in quality functionality and adjustability with no downside despite the puny pipe size of the new boom lol.

jond

Zen MBB Master
DNM single air chamber with remote lockout turned up yesterday. $150 cycling deal. I will be fitting ASAP. The DNM dual air worked very well cannibalised from hurricane was equally very plush and of course much lighter. I will report how it goes after extensive testing. With the dual air unit I replaced oem o ring and nylon/ Teflon ? Outside locators inside air can with two o rings. Never leaked done 25 k with it. Beauty. Mate.

I rode the sofrider 100 klm yesterday. It’s really most comfortable and the upright seating position gives a very good line of sight and is incredibly relaxing. .

I still get a little recumbutt as expected as I’m used to 20 degrees recline predominantly.

I’m riding it with marathon plus tyres. I’ve fitted an axa hr dynamo to the rear. New 165mm Cobb chainset 52/36 sram x9 rapid fire and xo mechs ten speed 11-36. I’ve got skinny legs so clear rapid fire shifters. Average speed 23 klm per hour. She is heavy and slow. A set of focussed tyres will help but i really enjoy the slow lane too. She is my second training bike perfect.

a kid asked me if I built her. Nah mate but an Aussie did.

I love the indestructible nature of the sofrider. The previous owner had a mid drive e assist fitted. When I’m ready e assist will go on the back wheel. Thats hopefully a long way away.

im looking for royal blue nail polish to fill the self tapping screw holes but otherwise she is in pretty good nick. I paid $500 a bargain to me for her and am the third owner. Maybe.

makes the q and s look ever more desirable. Be still my beating heart. Five recumbents is .........is.........is..........enough surely coughing coughing

love the looks of all cruzbikes. The development has been well handled .

tasteful practical purposeful quality product. We are so fortunate to have access to such well designed thoughtful products.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
DNM single air chamber with remote lockout turned up yesterday. $150 cycling deal. I will be fitting ASAP. The DNM dual air worked very well cannibalised from hurricane was equally very plush and of course much lighter. I will report how it goes after extensive testing. With the dual air unit I replaced oem o ring and nylon/ Teflon ? Outside locators inside air can with two o rings. Never leaked done 25 k with it. Beauty. Mate.

I rode the sofrider 100 klm yesterday. It’s really most comfortable and the upright seating position gives a very good line of sight and is incredibly relaxing. .

I still get a little recumbutt as expected as I’m used to 20 degrees recline predominantly.

I’m riding it with marathon plus tyres. I’ve fitted an axa hr dynamo to the rear. New 165mm Cobb chainset 52/36 sram x9 rapid fire and xo mechs ten speed 11-36. I’ve got skinny legs so clear rapid fire shifters. Average speed 23 klm per hour. She is heavy and slow. A set of focussed tyres will help but i really enjoy the slow lane too. She is my second training bike perfect.

a kid asked me if I built her. Nah mate but an Aussie did.

I love the indestructible nature of the sofrider. The previous owner had a mid drive e assist fitted. When I’m ready e assist will go on the back wheel. Thats hopefully a long way away.

im looking for royal blue nail polish to fill the self tapping screw holes but otherwise she is in pretty good nick. I paid $500 a bargain to me for her and am the third owner. Maybe.

makes the q and s look ever more desirable. Be still my beating heart. Five recumbents is .........is.........is..........enough surely coughing coughing

love the looks of all cruzbikes. The development has been well handled .

tasteful practical purposeful quality product. We are so fortunate to have access to such well designed thoughtful products.
Once you have settled on the best two chamber pressures, you need to let us know for your 120 kg weight!
Would the main chamber pressure only, be reduced for a normal 80 kg rider?

For my 67kg+ a few pounds weight, to reduce recumbo-but, and reduce sweating, when putting out 330 watts on a 38C day, I have removed the soft open mesh Cruzbike foam, that collapsed to nothing with any load, kept the hard rear foam, and added 4 off layers of 10 mm thick ASC 10 air circulation mesh. The thickness has reduced to 8 mm, so for your weight I would suggest 6 * 8 mm, and 5mm thick corflute to replace the 10 mm thick hard foam( to keep the cushion shape). I had to open up the rear slit of the Cruzbike cushion cover, so all the meshes and backing would fit!!!
The only disadvantage of this system is that the cut edges of the open mesh stick through the Cruzbike cover, and is prickly! I only notice this when getting on or off of the Cruzbike!P1150141.JPG P1150142.JPG P1150145.JPG P1150143.JPG

https://www.empind.com.au/shop/item/air-circulation-mesh-acs10

jond

Zen MBB Master
Once you have settled on the best two chamber pressures, you need to let us know for your 120 kg weight!
Would the main chamber pressure only, be reduced for a normal 80 kg rider?

For my 67kg+ a few pounds weight, to reduce recumbo-but, and reduce sweating, when putting out 330 watts on a 38C day, I have removed the soft open mesh Cruzbike foam, that collapsed to nothing with any load, kept the hard rear foam, and added 4 off layers of 10 mm thick ASC 10 air circulation mesh. The thickness has reduced to 8 mm, so for your weight I would suggest 6 * 8 mm, and 5mm thick corflute to replace the 10 mm thick hard foam( to keep the cushion shape). I had to open up the rear slit of the Cruzbike cushion cover, so all the meshes and backing would fit!!!
The only disadvantage of this system is that the cut edges of the open mesh stick through the Cruzbike cover, and is prickly! I only notice this when getting on or off of the Cruzbike!View attachment 11215 View attachment 11216 View attachment 11217 View attachment 11218

https://www.empind.com.au/shop/item/air-circulation-mesh-acs10

good idea slim. I’ve made a ventisit styled poor imitation pad for my hurricane.

May do the same as you suggest as it’s a good idea. Yep that soft open mesh is not seemingly doing much for my 81 kg body weight. Plus it has no doubt deteriorated.

I really only need to fit it in the lower pad so may have some leftover.

How long do you think the exterior oem cruzbike cover would last. It’s in good condition but the sofrider is used a lot 300 klm plus per week. ?

maybe heat would seal the scratchy cut ends?

the vendetta ventisit pad fits well on the sofrider but is the thinner pad.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
good idea slim. I’ve made a ventisit styled poor imitation pad for my hurricane.

May do the same as you suggest as it’s a good idea. Yep that soft open mesh is not seemingly doing much for my 81 kg body weight. Plus it has no doubt deteriorated.

I really only need to fit it in the lower pad so may have some leftover.

How long do you think the exterior oem cruzbike cover would last. It’s in good condition but the sofrider is used a lot 300 klm plus per week. ?

maybe heat would seal the scratchy cut ends?

the vendetta ventisit pad fits well on the sofrider but is the thinner pad.
Jond, My original Cruzbike seat cover from my 2008 Silvio V1.0 with the ASC-10 mesh added in 2010 is still in good condition after 12 years!

I have bought some new ASC mesh, to do the Silvio V2.1 seat, as ONE cushion, and am looking to fold a layer around a 5 mm thick corflute shape of the seat to form two layers, then cut to suit and use fishing line?? to join the mesh together on the backside of the coreflute! Then repeat the process, so a total of 4 layers, 2 in front of the coreflute, two behind.

The reason for the full length cushion is that the joint between the back and bottom cushions, can some times be annoying, if not positioned correctly!!
I am going to add a seat cushion outer, as close to the cruzbike material as possible, as I THINK, but don't know if the ASC-10 mesh rubbing directly on my cycling knits will wear them out prematurely?

On the ventisit mesh seat cushions , do the longer length of the diamond go the length of the seat, so it expands easily sideways, or the other way?

jond

Zen MBB Master
Jond, My original Cruzbike seat cover from my 2008 Silvio V1.0 with the ASC-10 mesh added in 2010 is still in good condition after 12 years!

I have bought some new ASC mesh, to do the Silvio V2.1 seat, as ONE cushion, and am looking to fold a layer around a 5 mm thick corflute shape of the seat to form two layers, then cut to suit and use fishing line?? to join the mesh together on the backside of the coreflute! Then repeat the process, so a total of 4 layers, 2 in front of the coreflute, two behind.

The reason for the full length cushion is that the joint between the back and bottom cushions, can some times be annoying, if not positioned correctly!!
I am going to add a seat cushion outer, as close to the cruzbike material as possible, as I THINK, but don't know if the ASC-10 mesh rubbing directly on my cycling knits will wear them out prematurely?

On the ventisit mesh seat cushions , do the longer length of the diamond go the length of the seat, so it expands easily sideways, or the other way?

I’ll have a look tonight mate re orientation of ventisit. My vendetta pad after 60 k plus has deformed somewhat around the backside area. Must be a little more weight.

I use Kmart Lycra shorts. $10. All day comfort and yessssssss they do indeed wear out faster on the asc 10 material. Short selection then is paramount. Lol.

I’m pretty sure the longer length of the diamond runs longitudinally down the length of the bike. I’ll confirm tonight.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I’ll have a look tonight mate re orientation of ventisit. My vendetta pad after 60 k plus has deformed somewhat around the backside area. Must be a little more weight.

I use Kmart Lycra shorts. $10. All day comfort and yessssssss they do indeed wear out faster on the asc 10 material. Short selection then is paramount. Lol.

I’m pretty sure the longer length of the diamond runs longitudinally down the length of the bike. I’ll confirm tonight.
Thanks.
I will try the Kmart Lycra, as the padded shorts I use have no benefit on a Recumbent!

Is there any stiff board etc in the Ventisit pad to keep it's shape?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
no board. And longer length diamond length of bike
On my existing 4 layer mesh I have each layer at 90 degrees and hot glued together and to the stiff 10 mm thick stiff foam for the base,(but only the 4 layers glued together for the back, to keep the vertical diamond layers from scrunching up!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@super slim It would seem that putting corflute in between would decrease the airflow. That is, you would get more air flow from the sides to your back and away if all layers have access to your back. Can you put it fully behind the asc cushion? Or perforate it so that it holds shape but does not slow air flow?

jond

Zen MBB Master
On my existing 4 layer mesh I have each layer at 90 degrees and hot glued together and to the stiff 10 mm thick stiff foam for the base,(but only the 4 layers glued together for the back, to keep the vertical diamond layers from scrunching up!

I added two layers to the seat base yesterday and it rode fine. On my hurricane with the home made pad and around 25000 klm the pad has not held its shape entirely. It’s still most serviceable.Max recline. Small zip ties. Three layers. The diamonds run across the bike. Maybe the acs10 material I purchased from same supplier as you suggested is not as capable as what ventisit use.??? Certainly ventisit construction is better than my ham fisted hurricane effort. . Interesting Pete heal has the pad game down pat .if you know him you could ask his secret.

I agree with Ben that the corflute is a slight negative and seemingly unnecessary. I doubt the corflute would enjoy jumping the gap from seat base to back rest.

With a split pad I don’t think the back section requires very much padding. It’s a shame you can not tolerate the two pad split system. I find 20 degrees to be the recline that disperses weight evenly.

the ventisit pad has 50 k plus vendetta klm. The base has mild distortion. It’s a thin with three layers.

I also have a ventisit pad thin on the pelso and it is like new. The oem pad on the pelso is made of a different finer though similar material. It is extremely comfortable less scratching than ventisit and as thin. I replaced it with the ventisit for utility. I am not sure the oem pelso pad would last as long. I’m probably wrong about that.

I’ll take a few pics and post. As can be seen the pelso pad is finer in texture and is softer to touch and compress. It also breathes well.

25BC4A97-F778-4176-AD8D-ABA9D02DFF67.jpeg

4243C50C-97DA-4377-AC19-CED686655E40.jpeg

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I’m pretty sure that I read on the ACS10 website that the product was developed or made in Germany so it could very well be exactly the same thing as the ventisit but with a different name in Europe.

It almost appears as though there is aome kind of frame to the ventisit holding the layers in the desired shape but maybe that is my imagination.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I added two layers to the seat base yesterday and it rode fine. On my hurricane with the home made pad and around 25000 klm the pad has not held its shape entirely. It’s still most serviceable.Max recline. Small zip ties. Three layers. The diamonds run across the bike. Maybe the acs10 material I purchased from same supplier as you suggested is not as capable as what ventisit use.??? Certainly ventisit construction is better than my ham fisted hurricane effort. . Interesting Pete heal has the pad game down pat .if you know him you could ask his secret.

I agree with Ben that the corflute is a slight negative and seemingly unnecessary. I doubt the corflute would enjoy jumping the gap from seat base to back rest.

With a split pad I don’t think the back section requires very much padding. It’s a shame you can not tolerate the two pad split system. I find 20 degrees to be the recline that disperses weight evenly.

the ventisit pad has 50 k plus vendetta klm. The base has mild distortion. It’s a thin with three layers.

I also have a ventisit pad thin on the pelso and it is like new. The oem pad on the pelso is made of a different finer though similar material. It is extremely comfortable less scratching than ventisit and as thin. I replaced it with the ventisit for utility. I am not sure the oem pelso pad would last as long. I’m probably wrong about that.

I’ll take a few pics and post. As can be seen the pelso pad is finer in texture and is softer to touch and compress. It also breathes well.

View attachment 11224

View attachment 11225

A picture is worth a thousand words, as a famous Cruzbike rider, who says if there is NO photo, then it did not happen!!!
The Ventisis pad has has a lot thicker chords!!!

Have you got a 20kg kettle weight with approx. 100 mm dia. base, so 1000 kg/m2 pressure, OR 40 kg over a 160mm dia (sit bone?)
When testing the ASC-10 10mm thick mesh it compressed to 4 mm, and rebounded after removal of the weight. A 12 mm thick exercise mat compressed to 2 mm, and stayed compressed!!

If you can assess a kettle weight could you place it on both of the seat pads to see how much they both deflect?

Attachments

• 20 kg weight.JPG
    20 kg weight.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 8

super slim

Zen MBB Master
@super slim It would seem that putting corflute in between would decrease the airflow. That is, you would get more air flow from the sides to your back and away if all layers have access to your back. Can you put it fully behind the asc cushion? Or perforate it so that it holds shape but does not slow air flow?
Perforations in the corflute is a good, especially when going over a bump, as the 6 to 12 deflection of the corflute would pump in my back like an accordion!

jond

Zen MBB Master
A picture is worth a thousand words, as a famous Cruzbike rider, who says if there is NO photo, then it did not happen!!!
The Ventisis pad has has a lot thicker chords!!!

Have you got a 20kg kettle weight with approx. 100 mm dia. base, so 1000 kg/m2 pressure, OR 40 kg over a 160mm dia (sit bone?)
When testing the ASC-10 10mm thick mesh it compressed to 4 mm, and rebounded after removal of the weight. A 12 mm thick exercise mat compressed to 2 mm, and stayed compressed!!

If you can assess a kettle weight could you place it on both of the seat pads to see how much they both deflect?

no weights at my house sadly. I mean gladly. I like many others ....ahem fostered a home gym for a while ..... alas it’s homeless now.

not convinced corflute will add much in terms of shaping. Still got to try.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
no weights at my house sadly. I mean gladly. I like many others ....ahem fostered a home gym for a while ..... alas it’s homeless now.

not convinced corflute will add much in terms of shaping. Still got to try.
I was looking at having the Corflute ribs going sideways

jond

Zen MBB Master
I was looking at having the Corflute ribs going sideways

sideways and upside down. It’s corflute.

What about bubble wrap around your midriff and garbage bag the rest. Lose 20 kg and get closer to double figures. Ventisit pads have a weight limit like the bikes. ;)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
sideways and upside down. It’s corflute.

What about bubble wrap around your midriff and garbage bag the rest. Lose 20 kg and get closer to double figures. Ventisit pads have a weight limit like the bikes. ;)
I can't get any lighter than 67 Kgs, while being super fit, with Wiggo long powerful legs(46" x seam)!!!!!

I would NOT deprive the world of seeing and admiring, my stunning body and face!!!