Softrider vs Quest

toohoos

finally going to order my Cruzbike. Have been planning to get a Softrider for sometime now, but with the sale on the Quest going on, am having thoughts of jumping up to that model. My question is whether they are equally easy to learn to ride.
I like the idea of Quest's ?internally Geared hub, but realistically, I should get the bike that is easiest to learn.
I used to ride a good bit when in college, but that was a long time ago. Hoping to get back into it.

Thanks

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Quest on sale.

The Quest is definitely a good deal right now. It's just my opinion but the Quest 451 is supremely easy to learn to ride; especially if you put the seat very vertical to start with. If you are 6ft or shortly it's probably the easiest. Then the Softrider, followed by the Quest 559. If you are taller and the soft rider is probably the easier. We've taught 3 kids 18 - 9 years of age using the 451; a 65 year old; and 5 people in there late 30's to ride using the 451. We had one person over six feet crash on the 559 and get severe sprained ankle; and that had more to do with him have a ton of DF experience and confidence; and my failure to give him enough instructions to offset his comfort and desire to learn quickly, rear wheel wash out is not something you want to experience in the first 20 minutes; Mostly that was on the teacher not the student. So if you want the better bike with the internal hub and folding; don't let the Quest scare you as harder because it's not until you seriously recline the seat. There's also the old biking rule about figuring out which bike you like and then buying 1 model better so that your investment lasts.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Having a Sofrider and

Having a Sofrider and a conversion, I was surprised how similar they are. The 451 Quest had the lowest seat height, so that's a plus. And I personally think that the 451 Quest is geared better (lower) than 559 Quest.

I agree with Bob: I see no reason the Quest would be any more difficult than a Sofrider.

Kim Tolhurst

ultimately

the lessons are the same, open palms push forward, rolling practice to let your body know its on a bike, peddle, roll peddle relax. (oh, and keep looking well ahead.) First Ride, www.cruzbiking.com.au

Riding a cruzbike is easy, different, yes, though its a bike, some, you just give them a push, others need to follow instruction, even just two lessons, intently.

You will read of other hints from those experienced and having the bike adjusted for seat angle and leg length (adjustable top boom) are important.

In following directions, in your own time you will become fully proficient on either Sofrider or Quest, so learning need not be a factor in which you choose. The kind of riding you want to do is more important.

please let us know what kind of riding you want to do mostly?

best,

Kim..

toohoos

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Going for the Quest.
I plan to do mainly paved trails or on the roads in my neighborhood. I am not in a particularly bike friendly city.
I guess, my only other concern would be that I am "cheating" on the weight limit by about 10lbs. But, hopefully, that won't last too long as that is one of the reasons for getting the bike the first place.
Thanks again for the advice.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Quest 451

I've had my Q451 about a month. I've felt a lot more comfortable learning to ride a FWD-MBB bike with a lower seat height, and lower bottom bracket relative to the seat. My 13-year-old son, with me giving him a few pointers ahead of time, caught on to the balance of the bike quickly and was able to start pedaling after just a few coasting runs. (He rode around and around the school parking lot, practically shouting with joy. "This is so weird! I love it!"). I'm 5'5", he's not quite 5'4".

You can always upgrade the front of the Q to accommodate 559 wheels later, if you feel the need. I'm pleased with the gearing of the 451, though.

Definitely read the beginning-rider tips and watch the videos while you wait for your Quest to arrive.

hiker51

Newbi

I just purchased a used Sofrider and am wondering if there is any special instructions that I need to know to ride it. I am 6'2" tall and ride a LWB bike now. Any special adjustments?

1happyreader

zen/child method
helpful documents

Heh Hiker51,

look at the "links to download specs and brochures" on the bikes/sofrider page just below the "Add to cart" button.

I used the assembly instructions to correct my used sofriders seat/bracket adjustment.

there is a nice checklist of riding skills progression on page 13 of the users manual.

For some of us the youtube vid is not enough.

remember to smile, lean back and relax !

b1kebox

The sale on the Quest is over

Went to order a Quest 559 last night only to discover that the sale on the Quest is over. Perhaps there will be a 4th of July sale in its place.