SOLD! Cruzbike conversion $500

rjz

This is a nice Cannondale conversion with a seat-back bag and water-bottle holders. I'm in Tucson, Arizona, but I'd be willing to ship at the buyer's expense.
photo.jpg

dr o

bike details

Hi rjz - i've been intrigued with the cruzbike concept for a few months now and thought perhaps i would start out with a conversion; maybe you can save me some work! When did you do the conversion? What components are on the bike? How has it worked for you? I live in Alberta but come to Phoenix periodically so delivery shouldn't present a problem. Could you post a few more pictures? Thanks.

rjz

I actually bought it from a

I actually bought it from a gentleman in Virginia--all I did was change the handlebars and add the bag and water-bottle cages. I don't recall offhand what components are on it, but I can check when I get home.

What other views would you like to see?

I was slowly getting the hang of riding it, but found that it was messing me up for riding on my "normal" recumbent, so one of them has to go.

dr o

pics

that would be great. maybe some close up shots from a few different angles. has it been repainted? is there anything that needs to be done on it? thanks.

rjz

The components:
SRAM 4.0

The components:

SRAM 4.0 derailleur
SRAM 7.0 grip shifters
Sun AT18 rims

No, it hasn't been repainted. It's not perfect cosmetically, but mechanically it's great. I'll get some more photos this weekend.

rjz

I believe it's an Angletech

I believe it's an Angletech Aeropod:

http://store.cycledifferent.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ANGLE&Product_Code=ANGLETECHAEROPOD&Category_Code=BAGS

rjz

Weight

I imagine it's over 40 pounds, which is typical for mountain-bike-based conversions.

rjz

More pics

Here are some more photos. Note the couple of scratched areas on the left-side close-up.

photo3.jpg

photo2-1.jpg
photo3-1.jpg
photo-1.jpg

Mike Jackson

Conversion Bike

Any chance to see your bike if it's still available? I can drive down from Cave Creek, AZ. If there is a possibility please call me....Mike Jackson @ 480 207 7807. Thanks.

pedalrite

front fork and gears?

I have a similar Cannondale frame to try to convert. The rear gear cluster and axle in 5 1/2 inches wide and the front fork is only 3 7/8 inches wide. Was your front fork altered in any way to get the gears to fit between the fork legs? Were the parts from the conversion kit adaptable enough to accept wider gear cluster?
Thanks for your information help.
Randy

hurri47

I didn't do the conversion,

I didn't do the conversion, but the pictured bike is now in my care. You should be able to see the driven wheel actually mounts to the conversion kit - not the front fork. The kit offsets the mounting to the outside. You actually have more of a problem moving the old narrow front hub to the wider rear dropouts. Spacers are required there.

There is another area of interest with this conversion. Unless you are converting the Cannondale Headshok to a standard 1-1/8" stem (the Headshoks are like 1-9/16" dia, and once they wear out they are a pain to deal with), there may be some fabrication and welding required to mate the Cruzbike stem to the (inverted) Cannondale stem. I can make you some better pics of that area once the bike gets back from the shop*. Whoever did mine did a great job.

The seat mount on this frame can be interesting too, due to the slantiness of the "top" tube. Ron's pics showed this pretty well.

*Speaking of getting bike back from the shop, it's there to get its mountain triple with 175mm cranks changed to a road triple with 170s. The original mountain bike gearing is too low for how fast it wants to go. It was good for learning on, but I never once used the granny and rarely left the big ring. I still haven't learned how to pedal at downhill speeds!

Good luck with your conversion. This is the only Cruzbike I've ever ridden - I bought it for a lark just to see what it was like - but I am really enjoying it (enough to put more money in it anyway).

-Dan