Sourcing wheelsets: 20" or 24" 11-spd wheelsets?

pseudogrammaton

Looking to fit up some cheap(er) rims for my 2021-22 Q45, crossgrading to 24" TA. I'm offroading thru 2" sugar sand & steep grade gravel & the stock 650b's either can't float or grab enough road to keep going. Anyone have info on sourcing an inexpensive 11-sp TA wheelset of either 20" or 24" dimensions for a Q45 TA frame?

Background: CB sells 24" 507's for $425/set (no cassette or tires), but that's about 2x the pricepoint I want, am hoping to make-do w/ a lesser, expendable set. Also looking at whether a 451/20" wheelset might afford even wider treads than a 507/24". I'm happy to go to an LBS but last I asked a couple mechs they seemed a bit bewildered.

However upon Googling for info on bike wheels I can't make any sense of bike wheel specs, finding it hard to find a good guide. For instance ... I just learned that most wheelset mfgs now offer swappable cups for QR vs. TA, but that still seems a dodgy assumption. Seems like the lack of clear standards is the current standard, LOL.

TIA! -- Lee

Paruig

I'm offroading thru 2" sugar sand & steep grade gravel & the stock 650b's either can't float or grab enough road to keep going.

TIA! -- Lee
The stock 650b tires are not for off-road.
Have a look at these:

pseudogrammaton

The stock 650b tires are not for off-road.
Have a look at these:

True enuf altho the 650b stock tires do admirably in relatively flat medium gravel or 1" damp sand, but anything worse than that & it's a walk.

-- Lee

Last edited:

pseudogrammaton

IAC, I think I have a better understanding of modern bike wheels now:

1. modern wheels have interchangeable hub adapter cups for either QA or TA
2. 11-speed cassettes can be fitted on the same wheel as 10-spd, given that the wheel meets spec for an either-or free-hub.

Imperial Size / ISO # equiv:
* 20" Wheels (ISO 400 - 451 mm)
* 24" Wheels (ISO 507 mm)
* 26" Bike Wheels (ISO 559)
* 27.5" / 650b Bike Wheels (ISO 584 mm)

CB sells their 24"/507 set for $425 sans cassette & tire, so seems like it's worth the trouble to find discount wheelset at a $100+/wheel discount. I don't begrudge CB my $ but gotta try to budget where I can.;)

-- Lee R

pseudogrammaton

Cheap wheel set = heavy wheel set.

Indeed, quite right. I'm not sure weight factors as much when biking on soft road surfaces such as sand or grass. My intent is to bike on the surf line at low tide, so a greater concern is ultimately corrosion ... I'd hate to ruin an expensive set of rims, I feel (old codger thinking here probably) it's an extravagance enough to ruin a cheap $150 set ... ;)

-- Lee

Paruig

Looking to fit up some cheap(er) rims for my 2021-22 Q45, crossgrading to 24" TA. I'm offroading thru 2" sugar sand & steep grade gravel & the stock 650b's either can't float or grab enough road to keep going. Anyone have info on sourcing an inexpensive 11-sp TA wheelset of either 20" or 24" dimensions for a Q45 TA frame?
Have you found any suitable 24" Wheels (ISO 507 mm)?

Velocivixen

Here is what I’m working on (just for encouragement). The book, The Wheel by Jobst Brandt gives instructions for how to build a wheel. As I read the instructions I could visualize it, so that’s the technique I started with. You can pick up things like truing stands & other wheel building specific items used if you don’t want to invest in new. I encourage anyone to give it a try.

Attachments

• IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
Here is what I’m working on (just for encouragement). The book, The Wheel by Jobst Brandt gives instructions for how to build a wheel. As I read the instructions I could visualize it, so that’s the technique I started with. You can pick up things like truing stands & other wheel building specific items used if you don’t want to invest in new. I encourage anyone to give it a try.
Very cool. I will look up the book. My thought is about being able to recognize quality materials.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I use 406 wheels on my older Q that is my personal bike and have used them on a Q45 (pre through axle) and it is awesome.

Jason

I have a set of the BMX wheels that Cruzbike sells wrapped in 24" Maxxis Rekons I'm wanting to sell. Only a few miles on them. Not sure how much shipping would be.

Bo6

Interesting thread on wheel sizes and nice video on tire choice.

I am looking at a new set of wheels for my Q45. The aim is twofold; better road gearing with a 10-50 cassette that needs a Scram XD driver; 2 sets of wheels give easy change from pavement to gravel rides. Thinking of using the stock 650b wheels with a 2" (50mm) knobby tire for gravel and trail riding and the new set of wheels with 38-40mm slicks for road.

Any thoughts on wheel choice, say 30-40mm deep rims? Hoping to get a bit lighter more aero wheel that could mount tubeless and clincher tires. 650B does seem to limit the choice a bit, but unsure if 700c rims with wide slicks would fit a Q45. The stock wheels have 19mm internal width, but I think it may just be possible to mount a 50mm knobbyish tire, any thoughts?

It may sound a bit expensive, but it'd be cheaper than a new S40 or S20 for the roads.

Q45 goes on the fluid trainer tomorrow to get in shape for nordic skiing, so I have some time to dream before spring.

Bob

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
For me the 20" wheels are so I can easily fit my bike in the back of a car, and also just have a "hop on and go" compact neighborhood bike. It is not fast, but with 2" Big Apple tires it is comfortable and can go up anything. I use a 1x11 setup on it with friction shifting old-school style. It was also the bike my daughter learned to ride on when she was 9 (now she is 20 - yikes) and I have just always kept it as a cool little custom run around machine.

I think the longest ride I did on it was a metric century once - it was good but not my fastest haha.