Speedone FS Mini Velo Suspension Folding Frame Set 20"/406

chrisblessing

Greetings,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to either recumbents or folding bikes. I currently ride a Dahon P18 where I live in Malaysia, but I'm getting desperate to have a recumbent here where I live most of the year. It must be a folder for a number of reasons. So I've come across this frame set and wonder if some members might comment on it's suitability.

Speedone%20FS%20Mini%20Velo.png
I'm a tall rider (6'3"/189cm) so I'm a little concerned about distance, but it does look like doable to me.

I would be appreciative of any input regarding this frame.

Thanks. Chris Blessing

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
it could work out nicely

Hi Chris,
well well well, that frame is from Yoan Technologies, Da Jia, Taiwan. It uses the same carboyoke as the Silvio.

I think it could work out nicely, although I haven't personally built on that frame.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
I saw that frame on Ebay

Hi,

I saw that frame on Ebay and thought it might be a cool conversion as well. Since you are tall, I'm a little worried about the 45 degree angle brace near the seat post as that may force the seat further forward than you would ideally like. If you do go ahead, make sure you take pictures while you are building it up so we can enjoy the process with you!

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Cheers,
Charles

Kim Tolhurst

A Reminder

Some people are tall because they have a long back, others, because they have long legs. So thus if the distance between seat stem and steering stem is of an average distance, fine fine its where your body goes, (average body?) and your leg length is catered for of course by CB's adjustable top link. The style of convertable frame determines the style of riding.

best, Kim.

www.cruzbiking.com.au First Ride

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
Kim is right. I should be

Hi,

Kim is right. I should be more careful/precise.

I'm 6'1" and ride a Sofrider with the seat pan as far forward as it will go and I have my TFT (telescoping front tube) set to 8" where it can go up to 12". I'm more back than legs, but even so I'd be very surprised that if you put the seat as far back as you could, if you would not be able to set it up so that you could fit comfortably.

There is an aerodynamic advantage to having the seat angle low and the bottom bracket high. Your ability to find an aero position might be somewhat limited because of the brace on the seat, but this is getting a bit ahead of myself.

Cheers,
Charles

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
And another with the Kind air shock?

Here is another one, also on eBay, without the rear upper brace, the same rear carboyoke and what also appears to be the Kind air shock for the front forks. Hmmm...

DIY-Silvio-Folder.png width: 958px; height: 860px;

-Eric

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Yes, this is the same as the

Yes, this is the same as the Silvio suspension. These frames were built for the Taiwan market, but its a fickle market and they built too many, so this is really a scoop. I must tell them to increase the price. ;)

Jake

Folding Issues

I'm not sure how well it will fold though once it's been converted.

Attaching the seats hose clamps behind the hinge would allow the hinge to work, but I doubt it would fold flat as the front frame would contact the seat, ( and the seat would be very upright). Attaching the seat to (or near) the bottle bosses would prevent the hinge from working at all. Some sort of quick release seat bolts would be needed - the two bolts where the seat back meets the seat pan might be easiest.

Given the cost of the frame and conversion kit being around $1000, it might be worth considering a Quest, although they too don't fold super quick a la Dahon or Brompton.

I guess it depends on how often it gets folded.

Jake

chrisblessing

Speedone

Thanks folks for your comments. I may order the frame in the coming week, although won't commence with building until after the Christmas holidays. I work in Malaysia, but will home for Christmas, during which time I'll get the conversion kit and other components. If I go forward with this I'll most certainly keep you informed and will photo journal the process.

chrisblessing

Frame set ordered

I ordered the frame set shown above, and expect to see it here (Malaysia) in a week or so. I'll be in the U.S. in December at which time I'll get the conversion kit. Between now and then I'll get the wheels and other essential components together. I'm thinking Tiagra 9 speed HG with the triple chainset. In keeping with recommendations here I'll also get a handful of quick-releases, thinking that I may make the seat removable, or at least forward-pivoting, for folding.

ScottS

Um... what?

OK, after a Google search just kept bringing me back to CB, I give up. What's a carboyoke?

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
The carboyoke is the flexible

The carboyoke is the flexible chainstays. Take a close look at the rear triangle and you will notice that the horizontal members are solid and flat carbon fiber parts clamped on both ends. They flex and the motion is dumped by the rubber at the top of the triange. It's a very clever way to build a very lite-weight but strong suspension.

The Silvio uses the exact same technology. From the same factory in Taiwan, I suppose.

chrisblessing

It's here...

The frame arrived Friday. I picked it from Malaysian customs and unpacked it at home. Nice and light, with clean welds. The square-tube frame was a bit jolting to see in real life.

I'll purchase the wheels locally, and use the same configuration as my Dahon Vitesse P18 (Shimano Tiagra SS rear derailleur, SRAM PG-950 11/28 tooth cassette, 9-speed) in case I need to build it back to a conventional folding bike. I am, however, planning a triple crankset, likely a Tiagra 50-39-30, so I can get some better climbing. With my Dahon and it's FSA 55-44 I have stand up the hills. Going from 55 to 50 in front could be more compromise than I like so I'll keep my options open.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
It'll be interesting to see

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Clean welds? You betcha. I was at that welding factory last week and the welding team produces sensationally consistent welding. Beautiful regular bead patterns.

low wong

conversion for KHS folding

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=317&t=630911&p=1

In madarin, but with pictures .

chrisblessing

Thanks for the pics...

Thanks Volvolc for the photos. I came across them once before but couldn't find them again. I've saved all the photos for reference.

I will be in the US for only 3 weeks this coming Christmas holiday, so I have a relatively small window of opportunity to get the kit and some of the compoenents I'm considering. On that note, I wonder if you and others have any thoughts about this crankset: Shimano Tiagra 4603 175mm Triple 30/39/50t crankset? If this seems an acceptable crankset, can I then inquire about the recommended bottom bracket for the conversion kit?

Thanks,

Chris

chrisblessing

Kit purchased

Ok, I purchased the conversion kit. It should be awaiting my arrival to my home in Arizona. Once there I'll fit the bottom bracket, FSA crankset and derailer. The assembled kit will then come back with me to Malaysia to complete the Speedone conversion.

If anyone has any tips regarding what I might pick up while in the US, please let me know. I guess I'm thinking all the little fiddly stuff like string, gum and tape, that might come in handy but isn't always available here.