Speedone FS Mini Velo Suspension Folding Frame Set 20"/406

chrisblessing

Speedone conversion

Greetings,

Although the photos are a couple of days away, I'd like to report that this conversion is nearly complete. I sat on the bike for the first time yesterday and the seat angle seems perfect. While in the US I had a friend fabricate a bracket to which we welded the seat mount, which fits squarely over the top tube, just ahead of the hinge. The mount currently uses 4 long bolts to join the bracket on top and a plate on bottom. As a result I can easily slide the seat fore/aft, and didn't have to remove any braze-ons. The diagonal supports on the frame are not problemmatic because, were the seat that far back, I'd lose the back seat angle. The inseam length also seems pretty ideal right now.

I have a couple of questions regarding the kit: first, has anyone devised a means to 'quick-release" the top bar-to-steering stem? As it stands, to fold I'd have to unbolt the bar to allow the steering stem to drop using the Speedone's folding stem. I'm thinking a skewer cut and rethreaded to the right length might work. That, or the skewer off a seat quick release clamp.

Secondly, does anyone suppose there would be any advantage to having a shorter chainstay, as with the Quest 2 with 451 wheels? If so, is it possible to locate the short chainstay? Again, this is the interest of folding the bike.

Kind regards,

Chris

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Very good frame

I like this frame because it's the only one I've seen that puts the folding hinge in a place that will live happily with the seat mount.

We supply an accessory short chainstay for Quest that should work with the kit in this application. Inquire at sales@cruzbike.com to see if we have any in stock.

chrisblessing

Seat mount

Here's a photo of the seat mount I had built to fit the rectangular top tube of this frame. The conversion kit mount is welded to bit I had made. No hose clamps. With a bit more machining I think I can use modified skewers to make this a quick-release seat. I'll have photos of the completed bike soon.

chrisblessing

First impressions

I took my SpeedOne conversion out for a first ride yesterday. My handlebar is still too low for my knees, and will require some bar/stem refinements, but I was able to ride. I had a lengthy gentle slope from the shop door so I coasted for a while. The bike is comfortable and the recline is about right. The bike tracked well, and turns were easy.

Upon leveling out I attempted my first pedalling. I was prepared to "counter steer" with my arms, and so I did. A bit wobbly at first, and it required more effort than I anticipated, but I was able to move forward. I didn't leave my lowest gear so I was spinning more than I normally would. And then my knees; I have to get the steering bit worked out. Either my bars have to go much higher, or in closer to my body so my knees are out front of the handlebars. My photos will be up this evening, and I will welcome input on how best to manage this bit.

All in all I'm feeling pretty upbeat. It feels like something I can manage.

chrisblessing

SpeedOne converted

Here are the photos of my project. It's pretty compact but seats me well, and, with a little time and effort, pretty easy to pack. As noted earlier, my knees hit the handle bars, and I'm open to suggestions from the more experienced folks on how to remedy. Looking at these photos, it might mean something as simple as reversing the head set, which might get the bars closer to my body. I'll be shopping for drop bars this week.

Thanks for those who have lent a comforting word along the way.

Chris

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Nice pictures!
As far as your

Nice pictures!

As far as your knees hitting the bars, two thoughts:

First, Adjustable stem - I've bought two of these just to fix exactly this.

Second, if the above isn't enough, a stem riser should do the trick.

Cheers,
Charles

randyspann

RE: knee clearance

- Chris - I solved this on my wife's softrider (knee clearance. By turning the stem around backwards and using dropbars ala Silvio. Moves the horizontal part of the bars closer to your body, and the dropbars put your hands out where they belong.

chrisblessing

Thanks

Thank you Charles and Randy. I will be turning the stem around, and adding drop bars. The adjustable stem is ordered. Thanks again.

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
Does anyone else see what I see?

There has been a lot of discussion lately about a children's model. Is it just me, or does anyone else see this as a possible step in that direction?

thebean

Chris,
When you are back in

Chris,

When you are back in Arizona, let me know! I live northeast of Phoenix and would love to see your bike!

chrisblessing

Arizona

Hi thebean,

Will do, as we plan to be in AZ in December/January, but I'm not certain about the bike. Whether I bring it or not, let's meet.

Chris

chrisblessing

Quest front end

Regarding the color, I agree. The only other difference is that I have the long chain stays, which is good, as my BB is too far down for my tastes as it is. It would be lower with the short stays. You might also note that the Patterson-Metropolis CVT really cleans up the front.

I'll update the photos when the bike is complete.

E.B. Erickson

Was that you?

Hey Chris,
I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand, and yesterday I was out on a ride and saw another recumbent rider. This is an exciting event, as there are no recumbenteers in Chiang Mai except for myself, my kids, and a Thai friend.

The sighting was posted over on BROL, where cplager mentioned that it may have been you I saw yesterday - the bike that I saw as we passed each other was certainly similar to your orange Cruz conversion, but I didn't get a good look as we were going opposite directions.

So, was that you?

--ElJay

chrisblessing

Yes!

Hello Eljay,

Yes indeed, that was me. I had hoped to flag you down and meet. I was equally excited to see another recumbent. My wife and I are here until Sunday early. If you care to meet up, message me a contact.

Chris