Squeak

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Silvio has a new squeak. I cannot locate the source but I am almost sure it is in front. I thought it was the steering, but when I hold the bike and turn the bars it feels fine. I thought it was the BB. When I hold the bike and turn the cranks there is no squeak. I took the chain off, and the cranks go round freely. I took the cranks off and the bearings feel smooth. It only squeaks under load, and when I am riding it I cannot lean forward far enough to put my ear to it - that would require several years of serious yoga. I just hope it does not suddenly seize in the middle of Essex.

RAR

Mine squeaked and it was the through bolt at the steering tube/boom clamp. I removed it ,cleaned it , greased it inside and out and cleaned the hole where it goes also...no more squeak.

Oh the impossible to track down noises. My wife had a squeak that came from her shoes/cleats.

I had a creak in my V20 last year that took me most of the year to figure out. Drove me crazy. I took everything apart multiple times, greased it all, used assembly compound, looked for cracks, swapped parts with my wife's V20. It was a hard one. In the end I needed to grease the heads of the boom clamp bolts. I had greased the threads before, but the head was in there creaking somehow.

McWheels

Off the long run
Artefact Hunt! My BB squeaked and had a 'lump' in it, only discernable under load. Replaced the blessed thing in the end, all good.

Also tracked a squeak down to trainer soles rubbing on the cranks (use flats). Actually easier than an upwrong, at least I can see them and still not run into things!

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Other uncommon but annoying possibilities include chainring bolts, loose cassette, brake post and about anything with threads! Maddening!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for all the help, but I found it. I suddenly realised I had forgotten one thing - the pedals. One spins freely and the other does not. Usually when a pedal does that you can feel it when you ride.