SRAM 2x11....Help!

Tami

Ok...Hoping I can explain this so it makes sense. On my new to me Vendetta, the RD does not have the locking cage. I am wanting to go to a SRAM 2x11 long cage that locks. The new one I got is a 2x11 SRAM GX long cage MTB RD. It has x-actuation, just like the one on there now. (I am using a jtek shiftmate 9 so the road shifters will mesh with the MTB RD.)
The problem is the new RD, even with the high limit screw all the way in, is still not lining up? Like it needs a much longer screw? It doesnt look like the hanger is bent, but we are trying a new hanger this afternoon just to be sure.
At this point I would even get a diff RD! Can anybody recommend a locking SRAM RD that will work? Surely I am not the only one to have this problem? Thanks! Tami

Edit to add...as I am reading more, maybe I could just go to a 2x10 RD? Hmmm.....

Last edited:

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have Sram GX 10 speed RD. The B screw is pretty long and turned all the way in. I use 11x40 cassette. It has the locking cage.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Pictures speak a thousands words... post a photo so we can see the alignment of the cage with the first sprocket.

This is interesting for me as I was thinking of using a sram derailleur recently

RAR

A. What shifter are you using.
B. Is it 11 speed or 10 speed.
C. If it is a Sram 11 speed you don't need the jtek, if a 10 speed you need an 11 speed shifter.

Tami

Got it!!!! Late reply, was riding rail trails on trike! V is fixed, was a VERY slightly bent hanger! Ready to roll! Just need to order another hanger so i have an extra!

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
The locking long-cage SRAM 10-speed rear derailleur on my Big Yellow Vendetta is sensitive:
When the RD hanger is not perfect, shifting is not perfect.
When everything is aligned, it shifts like a dream.

Andreas

Last week, my V20 fell over and since then, I have issues switching the gears.
Fortunately, I have a spare hanger, and the reason for the shifting issues is clear:
20230701_140429.jpg 20230701_140418.jpg
Even though I don't have specialized tools, I have previously repaired a bent hanger using a budget-friendly method: I screwed a second wheel (with threaded axle) into the hanger and aligned the wheels to straighten the hanger.

Is it safe to bend the hanger like this or could this damage the aluminium of the chainstay or fork?

@Robert Holler , the hangers are designed to be sacrificial parts. Are you generously equipped with replacements so that I can get one even in 5-10 years, or can you manufacture them at any time? If I can't bend mine back into shape and have to use the spare, I would like to have at least one new hanger in my toolbox at all times.

Beano

In the past I have straightened out a hanger by laying it on a flat surface, covering it with a cloth of some sorts and given it a few whacks with a rubber mallet. It done the trick.

Andreas

Thanks for your tips.
I tried the method with the second wheel on the hanger carefully, and not much force was needed. The drivetrain now feels quieter than new, and every gear shifts smoothly without any problems, I think I had a slightly bent hanger for a while now.
Indeed, it would still be good to know that I can get replacements in the future.

Velocivixen

Derailleur hangers are meant to bend so as not to harm the derailleur in event of a fall, I believe. So, yes, they are relatively easy to realign.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
In the past, you could buy the extra hangers. You just need to get on the list, and when they order a batch, they can order extra. Sometimes Robert has them on hand. I always like to have 3 on hand for each type of frame. If you fall off as frequently as me, it's cheap insurance. Back in the day IIRC all the bikes came with Qty 2. I don't know what the current status is COVID made a mess of everything parts related.

The hanger seems to be a lot touchier on the Cruzbikes than other bikes. Just yesterday my bike was shifting funny. It seemed to be only on a couple cogs . Thought it might might be a bent cog. Ended up the hanger was slightly bent. I have a tool I built to screw into the hanger that allows me to measure and bend to align. It was only off a bit, but once I tweaked it back, everything started shifting fine.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
The hanger seems to be a lot touchier on the Cruzbikes than other bikes. Just yesterday my bike was shifting funny. It seemed to be only on a couple cogs . Thought it might might be a bent cog. Ended up the hanger was slightly bent. I have a tool I built to screw into the hanger that allows me to measure and bend to align. It was only off a bit, but once I tweaked it back, everything started shifting fine.
"I have a tool I built to screw into the hanger that allows me to measure and bend to align." Can you provide photos for those of us who are visual learners? :)