SRAM Dual Drive II Hub wanted

jwitten

Hello all,

Does anyone have a good source for purchasing a new/used SRAM Dual Drive II hub. I want to build a set of 406 rims so I can run 2" Big Apple tires on my Quest. I'd prefer not to have to tear down my 451 rim for this purpose. Please help!

Jeff

jeffwittenfeld@gmail.com

billyk

Guru
Try Angle Lake Cyclery

Angle Lake Cyclery is a wonderful place, like your grandmother's attic - filled with bike stuff so you can barely walk around. It's a virtual museum of unusual new and old bikes: recumbents, folders of all kinds, weird half-recumbent/half upright tandems, etc etc. The owner (Dale) is a real bike nut, and extremely knowledgeable. He will either have this hub or know where to get it.

And since you're a pilot, it's convenient: on the east side of Intl Blvd about a mile south of Seatac Airport. Definitely visit him.

On the other hand, he seems unenthusiastic about Cruzbikes ... he tried to talk me out of the Quest a couple of years ago. I try not to hold it against him. Everybody has opinions ...

BK

jwitten

Thanks BK

Hi BK,

I have visited Angle Lake Cyclery in years past. I'll have to stop by and talk to Dale. I worked in a bike shop as a kid and actually built a few wheels, but I think I'll leave it to someone a bit more experienced this time.

I just received the Samsonite case, so I'm going to spend this rainy day seeing how it fits.

Jeff

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Be forwarned - Charles and

Be forwarned - Charles and Lisa will be pestering you for Quest in suitcase pictures.

:bigsmile:

-Eric

1happyreader

zen/child method
well duh

Please do ask whoever you buy from to remove the pushrod prior to shipping.
bye...... good hunting

bentrod_zps39c3d46f.png

billyk

Guru
internal hub parts sources

Another local place to look for these hubs is:

Aaron's Bicycle Repair, Inc.
9988 15th Avenue SW, Suite E
Seattle, WA 98146
(206) 938-9795

http://www.rideyourbike.com/internalgears.shtml

Another bike nut who specializes in internal hubs and knows everything about them.

And there's Bike Friday. What reminded me of them was the photo above. They had that pushrod in stock, and a lot of other parts for internal hubs.

http://www.bikefriday.com/
3364 West 11th Ave Eugene, OR 97402

BK

jwitten

Thanks

BK: Thanks for the tip on Aarons. I'll give them a call as well. A hub / clickbox / shifter just sold on eBay for only $68... alas, it wasn't configured for a disk brake.

Charles: Regarding a video for the Quest in a suitcase. Yeah, I could probably do that. There is definitely a learning curve involved the first few times one attempts to dis-assemble / re-assemble the bike. On my firs attempt, the chain got twisted up and it must have taken me 20 minutes of fiddling with it to get it unraveled upon re-assembling. The second time, I used a chain tool to completely remove the chain, but that turned out to be too much of a hassle. There is also a trick to disconnecting and re-connecting the SRAM DualDrive clickbox. It is pretty simple once you figure it out, but I monkeyed with it quite a bit until I discovered the secret code. I also didn't pay attention to which pedal came off which side, or which one had the reverse thread. I think I'll invest in some MKS quick release pedals with Power Grips to quicken that step. Not only do the stem and upper triangle tube need to be pulled up and out of the steering tube, but the stem needs to be removed from the handlebars, and the black inner upper triangle tube needs to be slid completely out of the lower outer tube (if not, the brake and shifting cables don't have enough freedom of movement to position the handlebars in the prper position in the case). Its also best just to completely remove the quick-releases on the shock and rear seat post, as they prevent the rear end from folding up when installed. It really doesn't take too long to dis-assemble, and the whole bike does fit into the Samsonite case that I ordered from Amazon - barely! I forgot to see if my helmet would fit in the case as well, but there are a few voids, so perhaps it will. If not, I saw a folding helmet online that would probably work, although it is supposedly illegal in the US - but I doubt I'd get a ticket for it. Re-assembly takes slightly longer, and may require some adjustment to the disk brakes if the wheel isn't positioned exactly as it was. There are a few tricks to this as well. Anyway, I wouldn't call this a quick-fold bike that one can unpack and by on the road within 5 minutes. My guess is that once I do it several times, it will likely be about a 30 minute job - at best. Still within reason though, and a lot more fun to ride than a Bike Friday, Dahon, or Burley. The fellow I bought the Quest from supplied me with some nice Park allen tools that are much nicer than either individual allen wrenches, or your typical allen set. You'll also need to carry a jar of hand-soap as all the tubes have a bit of grease on them. Several pieces of padding to keep the frame from getting scratched up are a neccesity as well. Once the case is closed, the bike feels quite secure inside, and the case seems stout enough to protect it from damage. Anyway, I hope that gives some idea of the process. If anyone has a need for a video, I could put that on my To-Do list. It would probably have to be a series of videos to keep the file sizes reasonable. Cruzbike does have a few videos of the process that I referenced, but they don't show the "complete" process, along with likely stumbling points.

Jeff

billyk

Guru
folding helmet?

Hi Jeff - definitely interested in a folding helmet. I travel a lot - not as much as you, probably - and rent or borrow bikes in many countries where it seems like they've never heard of helmets. Especially riding in unfamiliar traffic I really need one, but carrying a helmet is really a space-user. I'd appreciate a hint as to where to find these, and also any experience with them. Billy K

jwitten

folding helmet

I'm not sure what's up with the Overade. It looks like they took pre-orders over a year ago to raise funds to produce them, but I still don't see any for sale on the web.

The Biologic is one option that I can find. Not sold in the U.S., but it looks like a few sellers on Amazon and eBay will ship from the UK. The helmet is a bit pricey though.

Another option is the Stash folding helmet. Do a search and you'll see some pic's. Probably the same deal needing to order from the UK though.

I'll probably order one in the next month or so, but I need to spread my cycle purchases out over time so the wife doesn't catch on. I was sorta pushing it with the Quest purchase. I tod her I would sell my Sofrider to help finance it, but I think I'll keep it. Just a lot more convenient not have to set up the Quest every time I return from a trip. And perhaps she might even ike to ride the Quest as well. With the 451 tires it is a bit closer to the ground, and seems to ride a bite easier. Perhaps due to the lower height, shorter chainstay, and elliptical ring?!? I think if I made it a 406 wheel with 2" Big Apple tires, it would feel even more secure under her.

Anyway, good luck with the helmet search. I'll let you know when I buy one.

Jeff

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Not that this is welcome news at this point...

But as far as I know, all DualDrive hubs are configured for disc brakes. I could be wrong, but I've worked on a few of these.

There is a plastic cover mounted in the disc bolt holes to cover them and improve cosmetics if you choose to use rim brakes. This is removeable for disc installation.

Cheers,

Doug

jwitten

Darn!

I should have asked about that cover earlier. There was one on eBay that went for $85. I was slightly outbid thinking that I was taking a chance on whether the mounting holes were under that rubber cover. Darn the luck! Oh well, next time I'll know. Thanks Doug.

Sram II Dual Drive

Hi Jeff. I would get ahold of Utah Trikes (http://www.utahtrikes.com/) if I had a desire to get any kind of IGH on my bike. They do a lot of custom work and are very helpful. They, of course, specialize in trikes, but should be able to help you in building up a wheel. Good luck. Keith