State of the Cruzbike Nation

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I received a very encouraging email from Maria Parker today...maybe you did too! Check your email!

I'm excited to know that I am part of the 9% that help to make Cruzbike a success.

Cruzbike Revenue by Age:

18-24 years: 9%
25-34 years: 10%
35-44 years: 21%
45-54 years: 33%
55-64 years: 18%
65+ years: 9%

Keep up the good work, Maria! I love my Cruzbikes!

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Hi Jim, you must be 18 - 24 years old then :) (or at least young at heart)

But indeed, great to see a good constituent of young people

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I got the email too before bed and I just switched from the 33% to the 18%. I am on the board and that's all that really matters ;) Now, if we can just get some more of those young Bucks and Buckettes on the board.

Gofer

I am in the 18% also with a Q-45 looking to purchase a V20c to up my game and get on Zwift .In the fall hopefully purchase a Wahoo kicker .Hopefully I can handle getting all the tech figured out ,have to get my wife to help me.On my trip from San Diego to St Augustine last winter so many young people male and female came up and asked questions on the Cruzbike.My friend with a new Trek checkpoint had nobody ask him about his bike

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I am in the 18% also with a Q-45 looking to purchase a V20c to up my game and get on Zwift .In the fall hopefully purchase a Wahoo kicker .Hopefully I can handle getting all the tech figured out ,have to get my wife to help me.On my trip from San Diego to St Augustine last winter so many young people male and female came up and asked questions on the Cruzbike.My friend with a new Trek checkpoint had nobody ask him about his bike
Wait until they see the V20 lol

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
No kidding, but when you get in the 9% it's more important to practice being mobile , balance, low c of g and active. That's what cruzbikes give.

I spent an hour last night researching innersoles. It's a very personal subject. Some people spend over $100 for a pair.

I think it depends on the rider, where the cleat is and how much force is being exerted. An interesting subject for another thread.

But as we know it's the little things that transform the ride.

Bill Wightman

No kidding, but when you get in the 9% it's more important to practice being mobile , balance, low c of g and active. That's what cruzbikes give.
Another thing that a Cruzbike gives is a place to "rest" while riding. It is a resting place in the sense that all you need to do is stay road alert and relax while pedaling. I found that out toward the end of a 110 mile ride where the temp was 102 F and blood sugars were too low. After I had fixed a front flat at mile 103 I was very relieved to be back on the bike and rolling down the road. On the bike I was cooler and more relaxed than in the hot sun fixing a flat.

Tuloose

Guru
At 78 I'm definitely in the 9% group and possibly in the 1% of the very oldest Cruzbikers out there?
Cruzbike turned my biking life around.
Finding a recumbent that was not only fast and fun to ride but could climb well enough so that I could keep up on the hills with DF riders and far outpace them on the downhills and flats was a revelation.

Today I'm helping a new Cruzbiker assemble his just purchased S40 which he plans to ride on the STP (Seattle to Portland) event.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Another thing that a Cruzbike gives is a place to "rest" while riding. It is a resting place in the sense that all you need to do is stay road alert and relax while pedaling. I found that out toward the end of a 110 mile ride where the temp was 102 F and blood sugars were too low. After I had fixed a front flat at mile 103 I was very relieved to be back on the bike and rolling down the road. On the bike I was cooler and more relaxed than in the hot sun fixing a flat.
Nice going on the ride, especially in those temps. Moving definitely does help with cooling, It was readily apparent on a recent ride myself. Even though I went out earlier to take advantage of the cooler temps, on the way back it was way hotter and I had to repeatedly stop to message someone. For the first two thirds of the route there was no place to stop in the shade. The path is empty enough to text and ride, but I stopped anyway to text. Stopping got me thinking about DF riders who complain during the heat. I was thinking "Well, if you were on a V20 or even an S40 you'd be going faster than you do on your DF and then science would do the rest to keep you cooler." I am not sure how much cooler, I am pretty sure it would be noticeable, but 2 things. (1) You'd be way more comfortable, and (2) you'd get to where you are going faster so you wouldn't be in the sun as long.

Anyway, was your ride with the new fairing on your V20?

Bill Wightman

Anyway, was your ride with the new fairing on your V20?
Yes, the fairing seems to work quite well. The only mod I have made recently was to replace a PLA printed attachment part with a stronger PETG part because of some bending stress cracking. I epoxy coated and added a single layer of glass cloth for good measure. PLA is not really a structural material but it does ok in pure compression and light tension loads. I need to glue a "shaping" spline to the thin walls near my legs as they are rubbing my legs a little. I had very good cooling despite the faired lower body. I should have done a better job of fueling.

I am glad it is light weight because there was a killer overpass to go over a couple of times at the end of the ride when I was out of gas (glucose/glycogen). I did the "sit up" pedal method for short term power. That really works if you practice it a little. The fairing lets me relax more on long rides. Even though it is light (~14 lb), I would not use it on a very hilly TT or group ride. It is a flat or rolling hills weight now. Part of that is my willingness and ability to put out torque on hills as a 64 year old. I am tending toward leisurely paces. A stock V20c or S40 would be good for real hills or sustained climbs.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
State of the nation... from what Larry has just achieved , it had to be the v20c

Totally unreal... but well deserved

I bought my first Cruzbike, a V20c during the recent labor day sale. I am in the 18% group for about 2 more years. I have been riding recumbents since 2011 and browsed the Cruzbike forums on occasion for over a year before my purchase. I have 333 miles on the bike so far. I am glad to see a wide range of ages and I really learn a lot from the Cruzbike forum.

rdl03

At 78 I'm definitely in the 9% group and possibly in the 1% of the very oldest Cruzbikers out there?
Cruzbike turned my biking life around.
Finding a recumbent that was not only fast and fun to ride but could climb well enough so that I could keep up on the hills with DF riders and far outpace them on the downhills and flats was a revelation.

Today I'm helping a new Cruzbiker assemble his just purchased S40 which he plans to ride on the STP (Seattle to Portland) event.
Love to hear how that went. I have an S40, and am planning to ride STP in 2024.