Stem adapter for conversion kit

Tom7734

I was assembling the conversion kit and was doing fine until I tried to mount the handlebar stem. I have a Wally World new donor bike, but couldn't figure out how to mount the handlebar stem. The adapter listed in the instructions and included in the kit won't fit into the hole in the fork. What do I need to get to mount the handlebar stem at the correct height? I took the kit to a bike shop and they couldn't figure it out (not much help). I'm at all stop until I get some kind of part for the bike shop. I can't be the first person to try to modify a cheap mountain bike, but I can't find any info about getting a proper stem extender. Please help!

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Tom,

Most of the WallyWorld bikes have a 1" threaded stem. This will require an adapter that looks like this:

NS-TSA-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

Here's one place to get one:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000119&subcategory=60001186&brand=&sku=9755&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20ATB%20Stems

This goes down into the hole and then the stem tube (black steel tube with the swaged end) goes over it, secured by the pivot clamp at the bottom.

Does this help?

Be well,

Doug

MagneO

Hello!

I had the same problem.

You need the adapter (google: quill to ahead adapter).

But you also need to lenghten the supplied threaded rod. The cap of the adapter fits on the top by the steering bars, while the quill (I thing the wedge is called a quill in English?) is at the bottom hence the rod is to short.

Regards!

PS! I mean supplied with the adapter (the original one may not even have the correct thread, if it has you may use that one as the extension)

Additional edit. The steering bars will not fit, depending on the type you either have to buy a new one or an addtional adapter.

MagneO

Yes and no.

You will need to tighten the wedge in the adapter. The screw that does that sits in the cover of the adapter (there may be more than one type, mine had a loose cover or lid) and the cover now sites on the top of the steering (which is much longer than original) and does not reach down to the wedge.

Regards

EDIT: look at the picture above, the cover is a loose piece, and the hex screw will become to short as the extension tube does not fit outside the adapter when the cover is mounted (at least mine didn't), ie the cover must be moved to the top of the stack. Also you need to cover the top end anyway for the looks of it.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
MagneO wrote: Yes and no.

You will need to tighten the wedge in the adapter. The screw that does that sits in the cover of the adapter (there may be more than one type, mine had a loose cover or lid) and the cover now sites on the top of the steering (which is much longer than original) and does not reach down to the wedge.

Regards

EDIT: look at the picture above, the cover is a loose piece, and the hex screw will become to short as the extension tube does not fit outside the adapter when the cover is mounted (at least mine didn't), ie the cover must be moved to the top of the stack. Also you need to cover the top end anyway for the looks of it.

Right, but you can also tighten the wedge with the cap on top of the adapter, then slide the riser down over the top of it. If the cap has a slight overhang, as they often do, you can grind/file it off. To cap the riser, just get the appropriate sized plug at your local hardware store.

Mark