Still hemming/hawing....max speed on t50

wondering what people have been getting for max speeds on their t50s. still trying to decide if to pull the trigger on the red frameset a tribe member is selling.

Brad R

The usual is that a lot depends on the rider.

My T50 is probably the fastest bike I have ever owned, but I haven’t owned any bikes known to be fast.

On flat ground without wind, I can get up to 20mph on my best days. But I average around 15 mph on rides of 20 to 30 miles most of the time. My bike in ready to ride state with enough tools and spares in my bag so that I won’t have to call for a ride home in the truck, weighs in at about 38 lbs and I tip the scales around 250. So I lose a lot of speed when grade is uphill.

rx7mark

Guru
wondering what people have been getting for max speeds on their t50s. still trying to decide if to pull the trigger on the red frameset a tribe member is selling.
My modified T50 and I can cruise in the 16 to 18 mph range on flat ground. But can do 20 to 22 mph for a while, if there is no wind. I have hit low 40's down hill but my gearing and cadence run out around 28 mph.

Mark

3bs

whereabouts unknown
mine is set up for dirt roads and geared about the same as mark's. on dirt cruise is about 14-16, road is about 16-18 and i pedal out just under 30. i think more speed can be built into the frameset, but i just dont have the need.

rx7mark

Guru
mine is set up for dirt roads and geared about the same as mark's. on dirt cruise is about 14-16, road is about 16-18 and i pedal out just under 30. i think more speed can be built into the frameset, but i just dont have the need.

I agree, I could get more speed from my T50, with 700c wheels and 28mm Conti 5000TL tires, and a diet for the engine. You would give up some comfort, so it depends on your prioities. I'm tempted to try this, but like you I really don't need more speed for how I use my T50. For that I would get a V, and I am tempted.

Mark

3bs

whereabouts unknown
For that I would get a V, and I am tempted.
Mark

Pull the trigger. I did. I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten a Q instead of the T, but I am content with the V instead of an S. It was Jim who solved that question by reminding me I could always wedge a 20 degree seat up, but I cant wedge a 40 degree seat down to 20.

rx7mark

Guru
Pull the trigger. I did. I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten a Q instead of the T, but I am content with the V instead of an S. It was Jim who solved that question by reminding me I could always wedge a 20 degree seat up, but I cant wedge a 40 degree seat down to 20.
Personally, I would like more speed, but also I see the need as I aproach retirement for a bike that will pack for travel. So I think I will look for a nice used S30 to rebuild into my next bike.

Mark

Reactions: 3bs