Stop the flop

onmyback

I've been riding my first Cruzbike (Q45) for a few months and am getting quite comfortable with it. It is my primary commuter and errand running bike, so I do lots of parking in bike racks. It's important to me that this takes a minimal amount of time and fuss, so I mount head and tail lights on my helmet and use smoothly releasing pannier(s).
When parking, I compress the rear suspension and slide the Q Touring and Commuting rack under the bike rack top bar. This holds my Q45 vertical, but doesn't stop the front triangle from flopping over, at the least touch and banging neighbouring bikes. I've tried attaching the shock cord that I carry for strapping purchases on, to hold the handlebar, but it just stretches more or slides. I was considering arranging something with rope, but then it will take time to stow safely. I've also considered adding a spring, like a Dutch bike steering damper. What are you all doing to "stop the flop"?

billyk

Guru
What about the kickstand? The Q45 is the first cruzbike to have a truly functional kickstand. Then put the rear wheel into the rack and lock it up.

onmyback

What about the kickstand? The Q45 is the first cruzbike to have a truly functional kickstand. Then put the rear wheel into the rack and lock it up.
These are the typical bike racks, around my city - http://bypedal.typepad.com/photos/bike_racks_of_vancouver_b/index.html The most common, including at my workplace, is the Cora (red, second one in images). I order to back into the rack, I depress the rear suspension about 2cm to get my Q45 pannier rack under the top crossbar of the bike rack. This and the fact that the bike rack dividers are 9" apart (I've had to significantly narrow the OEM Touring and Commuting rack), means my bike must be vertical. The least touch lets the front triangle flop to one side and bash other bikes.

I've never had a bike, DF or 'bents, with a kickstand and never felt the need for one. I really appreciate that the Q45 came with one and I use it while mounting panniers.

Last edited:

onmyback

I tried a short "L" bracket off the back of my fork crown, attached to a loop of old innertube around the front seat mount. It helped a bit, but didn't do the trick. Last week I created a system using a spring. It works much better in is barely noticable, while riding.

Attachments

• IMG_2939.JPG
    IMG_2939.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 110

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
I tried a short "L" bracket off the back of my fork crown, attached to a loop of old innertube around the front seat mount. It helped a bit, but didn't do the trick. Last week I created a system using a spring. It works much better in is barely noticable, while riding.

OnMyBack, you did a great job fabricating the steering damper. Really nice!

I can see in the photo of OnMyBack's Q45 the a brazeon on the underside of the frame about 3" back from the rear of the headtube. I have a similar brazeon on my S40 and have wondered if it was for mounting a steering damper. I guess not .... Can anyone provide insight into what that brazeon is for?

Thanks!

-Jack
Raleigh, NC

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
OnMyBack, you did a great job fabricating the steering damper. Really nice!

I can see in the photo of OnMyBack's Q45 the a brazeon on the underside of the frame about 3" back from the rear of the headtube. I have a similar brazeon on my S40 and have wondered if it was for mounting a steering damper. I guess not .... Can anyone provide insight into what that brazeon is for?

Thanks!

-Jack
Raleigh, NC

Here you go. This is what I did to my S40. Anti flop device using the braze on hole. It works reasonably well, better than nothing for sure. I think it will be lot better if the hole is 2 inches further back so that the spring can be pretensioned more.

Michael

1558070053996564474017785648773.jpg 15580701025687272298378124011042.jpg

Last edited:

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I used a big rubber band on my S30. Works very well, no frame mod/drilling needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20180226_205744.jpg
    IMG_20180226_205744.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 105
I asked some time ago and was told that it is indeed for a steering damper (that was designed by an owner at some point in the evolution of the CB line). Even though that original steering damper is not offered, the mount remains.

I've been using a Click-Stand with my S40. A 36" length and placed under the boom, right at the clamp to the steering tube instead of the usual position under the frame behind the front wheel. In this position the front triangle is pretty much neutral with no major tendency to flop one way or the other (if it is nudged it will move, but only as far as its pushed and it stays stable through a fairly large arc - i.e., the bike doesn't fall over if someone brushes against it).0326191432-00.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The M6 Rivnut holds the steerstopper clip into the frame, instead of using a SS hose clamp around the frame.Steerstopper frame clip .jpg

benphyr

Guru-me-not
...I've been using a Click-Stand with my S40. A 36" length and placed under the boom, right at the clamp to the steering tube instead of the usual position under the frame behind the front wheel...
@Ross Jantz Am I seeing correctly that you are using something to lock the brakes when parked? Can you elaborate? Cheers, benphyr.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Why I don't like the steer-stopper:
It prevents the front from any motion. It is good only for parking.
That isn't what I want.

I want to be able to walk my CruzBike into a building, down the hall, then put it against a pole.
I want to never have to remember to do anything when getting on or off the bike, and still have the ability to easily park the bike without it falling over.

So, ya, the rubber band is low-tech, but amazingly it never has to be removed or touched. It allows me to safely, and worry-free, park the bike without it falling over. It allows me to walk my bike by holding the headrest one-handed, and guide it around corners.

I'm not claiming that it is the best solution. I'm claiming that spring/rubber-band anti-flop solution make foe the most "liveable" bike *for me*, and I want folks to think and know why that is the case!

I think the best solution would be a headset-incorporated spring, but, given I have already installed the rubber-band, I'm good for now.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok so I thought I originally made a stop the flop thread but I can't find any such thread in my history so maybe I was replying to someone else thread when the meat of my project was going on. I do have what I consider to be the cleanest flop stop setup and it looks like a good majority of the pics are in the what did you do to your cruzbike thread as are most of my custom innovations. Anyone looking to mod their bike should really look through that thread and if you make something yourself go ahead and contribute to the thread, that's why I started it. The thread starts with what looks like my version 3 of the flop stop and version 4 with the sliding boom clamp on the following page is my vinal version. Currently, I'm without the flop stop because I couldn't find the tool to insert the nut into the frame while I was visiting my family and ran out of time. This means my bike is a couple of ounces lighter for my races and it has no effect while I'm riding but moving it around the garage or when working on it in the stand it has been rather annoying.

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-cruzbike-today.10945/

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Ok so I thought I originally made a stop the flop thread but I can't find any such thread in my history so maybe I was replying to someone else thread when the meat of my project was going on. I do have what I consider to be the cleanest flop stop setup and it looks like a good majority of the pics are in the what did you do to your cruzbike thread as are most of my custom innovations. Anyone looking to mod their bike should really look through that thread and if you make something yourself go ahead and contribute to the thread, that's why I started it. The thread starts with what looks like my version 3 of the flop stop and version 4 with the sliding boom clamp on the following page is my vinal version. Currently, I'm without the flop stop because I couldn't find the tool to insert the nut into the frame while I was visiting my family and ran out of time. This means my bike is a couple of ounces lighter for my races and it has no effect while I'm riding but moving it around the garage or when working on it in the stand it has been rather annoying.

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-cruzbike-today.10945/

I agree.

dtseng

With more weight in the front, wheel flop is a problem. For the existing CB, the use of steering damper is the way to go. If you can raise the rear wheel 10" or more above ground so that the head tube is nearly vertical, then the front wheel will not flop. I think we need to fundamentally change the bike design. To eliminate the wheel flop is to increase the head tube angle to 84-90 degrees. In the case of Q45, this will also greatly reduce the steerer tube length. Remember the flop factor is there not only when the bike is standing still, it is in effect at speed as well, only we are told to learn to ride the bike. A high head tube angle bike will be much easier to ride and better control particularly when turning sharp corners.

Last edited: