Stop the flop

@Ross Jantz Am I seeing correctly that you are using something to lock the brakes when parked? Can you elaborate? Cheers, benphyr.
Yes, there is a brake locking bit of 1/8"bungee cord. Click-stand provides them (3 actually) with each order. It only takes one (on the front), but locking both brakes is a bit more secure (and there's an extra).

When I'm carrying it, it fits under the boom behind the headset (I think you can see the Velcro strap hanging down in the picture).

burando

Here's a steering lock for parking: It's just a hex key through the fork's fender mount hole and a receiver. One could probably use an appropriately sized furniture-repair corner brace as the receiver.

q45_steering_lock-jpg.7807

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Here's a steering lock for parking: It's just a hex key through the fork's fender mount hole and a receiver. One could probably use an appropriately sized furniture-repair corner brace as the receiver.

The rod should really be something weaker then steel so if the front wheel was forced to turn the rod would flex or break before the attachment points on the frame.

hurri47

The rod should really be something weaker then steel so if the front wheel was forced to turn the rod would flex or break before the attachment points on the frame.

A stick. Maybe a twig. Probably get a whole bag of them cheap on Amazon.

-Dan

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
Does anyone else remember, fondly, the Rhodegear Flickstand? Most used a band mount around the downtube, but early on there was also a bolt-n version that mounted to a custom braze-on on the underside of the downtube ... Not unlike the mounting point we have on various Cruzbikes. Makes one wonder ...

-Jack K.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz14052238_979189295511790_1047235645_n.jpg

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Rhode Gear - So many wonderful companies are no longer around. I have a trunk rack from them. All the best ones seem to be copies of ones they invented or perfected.

Back to the topic - @velocio how would the one you pictured by Rhode gear avoid the potential for locking your steering by mistake? Once the friction fit wears it would fall down impacting steering. I would trust Rhode gear to last a couple decades but others copying it would probably open up the possibilities for law suits.

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
@velocio how would the one you pictured by Rhode gear avoid the potential for locking your steering by mistake? Once the friction fit wears it would fall down impacting steering. I would trust Rhode gear to last a couple decades but others copying it would probably open up the possibilities for law suits.

That concern is no greater for a recumbent than for a DF, right? Thoughts that come to mind on that:
  1. I bought a FlickStand the day I picked up my first "real bike" as an adult in 1987 and it's been on every one of my "main bikes" since then. I couldn't guess how many ten's of thousands of miles it's been in use and it still functions very literally as new. There are indents that the wire bail snap into when not deployed that are still as snappy as ever even after many years & miles.
  2. If adjusted properly in order to fully deploy the wire bail to one must compress the tire pretty significantly with the bail to get it in place. If set up properly and the bail did fall, I can't see how it wouldn't just bounce off the tire.
  3. And, more significantly, if the bike were in motion and the bail did fall on the tire then the rotation of the tire would tend to push the bail off the tire and back towards the downtube. Assuming the motion of the bike was forward, of course. :) In fact, the suggested method of undeploying (retracting?) the FlickStand is to merely roll the bike forward a few inches to pop the wire bail off the tire.
I have a couple of NOS FlickStand's in my parts stash, I may ponder a MacGyver'ed S40+FlickStand solution. The ones I have are the band-on version, not the bolt-on, unfortunately.

Cheers,

-Jack K.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I love this about Cruzbike: Discussion, possible solutions, more discussion, the company listens and whenever possible responds by meeting the needs of the Cruzbike Tribe. Other recent examples - foam wedge to try different shoulder / neck position, full-size shock absorber for Q45, development of T50 entry level simplicity. And every other update to a model probably has many, many influences from this forum and its members. Truly an impressive community. Thank you all. And 100 extra likes to Cruzbike.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for that feedback! The tribe is always a part of the solution - either for the outright solution or the inspiration.

Of course having a solution manufactured for you all can take us longer than we would usually like, but that's the nature of getting something from idea to finding a price and minimum order quantity that we can offer something for a fair price. :)

veloc_h

Hebie offers solutions using elastomer oder a spring:

The elastomer damper can be purchased separately as well:

More details: