Strava Privacy Settings Might Prevent your KOMs or Top Tens.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
A while back I tried to get a KOM or 2 and while I rode some segments faster than the then current KOM holder I wasn't awarded the KOMs or Top Tens. After an unproductive search I gave up and just let it slide.

Today it happened again, and while the PRs showed up on my achievements, I noticed a few segments that I should have gotten a KOM or Top Ten, but didn't. So, I did another search and found that my Privacy Settings are the cause. If any part of the segment falls within your privacy settings (I think mine were set at 200m from the start and end of the ride to hide stalkers) then a KOM or Top Ten will not be awarded. You will still get a PR though.

Keep that in mind. If you do a warm up ride to the start point of a segment you want to attempt to get the KOM for, and restart your Strava app near the start of the segment, Strava will not give it to you if the start of the segment starts or ends within your Privacy Settings.

It is possible to set the Privacy Settings for the individual ride in the app, and for that ride only, the settings will override the Privacy Settings you have for your profile.

Don1

Guru
Yeah, Strava changed there standard privacy settings from public to private about 2 years ago. Another disadvantage of this change is the ride view (show who is riding at the same time as you, near you) but you can still find the legends that past you (or vice versa) via a segment search.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
It sucked when Strava did that by default. I loved the flyby option to add new friends but now there are only a handful of riders with their settings to allow it. Tons of legends out there every day on the path but they aren't very friendly or talkative at all here unless they stop at the same place you do.

Yeah, I usually have my default to “followers only” and change a ride to “everyone” if I want it to appear on the leaderboard. I’ll use the “hide start & stop” feature to hide my house.
Previously I was recording everything, but Strava’s heatmap showed the world where I park my bike, with a trail going to the back door.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I used to turn on my Wahoo Bolt just as leaving my home so it would record the 5km or so in traffic for the warm up before I actually got to my bike path, but that was drastically cutting down my average speed, so for the longest time I stopped recording the warm up and cool down after each ride. Today, I was only focused on that 43km section so I broke the ride up into several parts and that was why some of my achievements were not listed since they fell within the Privacy Setting area.