Streetwork 12+12 ,Dec 4, (Sydney, NSW, Australia)

Opik

There was Vosadrian and Jon on their CB, alongside Domes with the carbon performer and Maurice on the trike, so a 3+1 team on a TT race, with the 3rd rider time as the team time.

results here:
https://www.revolve24.com/copy-of-results-and-live-timing
look for OzHPV NSWRR 1

Shame the team only got 4th place, maybe with the help of Paul Copeland with his Metabike Mystque or M5 CHR, next year the recumbent team could get at least a podium.

The organizers were quite welcoming to the recumbent team, especially the race director.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/519...y4LY_9YRh4JYEpIaH2tYJQGmt--Vt5c&__tn__=,O,P-R
Domes Deli
Arrived at track 1605 - cool, overcast, windy but dry
Maurice was already there, Jon rolled in shortly after and Adrian arrived fashionably late - team of 4 complete
2714.png

Maurice on GS Magnum trike, Adrian and Jon on Cruzbike V20s and me on Performer Roadster
Started prepping our bikes in carpark as other teams rolled in (which for me was a full wipe down, clean and lube chain and pump up tyres)

Change into kit, fuel up (2 tubs of rice pudding with blueberries, banana, muesli bar and water)
1740 we got out on track for some warm up laps (one each on long and short course)
Back to carpark to discuss final tactics - we decided to do 12 laps of hillier long course then 12 laps of short course with each of us on bikes pulling a turn up front for a lap, sticking together as best we could - going harder on the downs, easier on the ups to play into the bents advantage - Maurice to cruise at his own pace as teams time was based on 3rd mans bike across the line
1815 race briefing and out to the start line - felt like a ride of shame having to ride past all the teams on the grid to our back of the field start (36 teams, 144 riders)
1830 we're off, slow start as we watch all the teams head off in the distance - Adrian led us out and we were soon passing teams

As expected down the main straight and into turns 1 and 2 we dominated the field - able to build up speed and hold onto the momentum. Turn 8 was the only tricky part (a tightening downhill right hander) which required braking which I struggled with all night and ran wide numerous times - couldn't match the entry speed of the V20s but got a quicker exit speed, albeit had to use the full width of track - this could be put down to a number of things - small front wheel, loose headset, low track temp=low grip, or just a simple lack of testicular fortitude compared to the others?

Adrian and I lost count of the laps but luckily Jon was on the ball
Before we knew it, we were half way and switched over to the short course which took turn 8 out of the equation - good timing too as the clouds were getting darker and I could see the rain coming in from the west - we only copped some light drizzle towards the end
Forced a muesli bar in my mouth which I slowly got thru over the next 4 laps - trying to eat, breath, drink, pedal and concentrating on hitting those apexes. Only consumed half my bottle of water/electrolyte mix due to the cool conditions

We did an extra lap/cool down just to make sure we did enough laps as none of us were 100% sure of the laps count by this time
2040 finish at the pointy end of the field
Surprisingly we were able to stay together pretty well - we gave each other space at turn 8 though as we all took different lines in and it was the most technical turn.
Definitely increased our speed riding together we were able to push each other averaging 38+ whereas solo last time I managed 36+
Winning team averaged 40+!

We didn't get overtaken by any teams
Maurice seemed to be happy crusing along (he did a total of 12 laps with a mixture of the short/long course) and we gave him a toot/wave on each passing
We all finished surprisingly fresh - none of us huffing and puffing and engaged in a celebratory choc milk/lemonade drink as we awaited the prize ceremony

No mention of recumbents at either start/end briefings although the race director was really excited at our speed down the main straight during the race so we made sure to put on a good show for him at each passing

Pics :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/519493954898058/permalink/2067363180111120/

Video :

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thanks frito

Though we were welcome which was really great we did not qualify for a podium even if we had of finished in the overall places. There were 36 teams I think.

Good news though we were the first recumbent team. ;). And the course is far from flat.

starting at the back of the field cost us around 90 secs but that’s not enough even then for a place...............still It was great fun. And nice to get the new v2.2 out. Special thanks to you know who for the new to me main frame :) cheers my absent mate.

even if “that” signature is now a skilful reproduction via kitchen paper I still have the original signed garage ornament. It now hangs proudly in my home garage following my workshop demise. Be still my beating heart. The dear wife knows I’m a qualified bag of nuts. ;). Threatens to throw out my rubbish weekly. Lucky I’m retiring this coming March to guard the stash. Ha ha. I could always send it to larry for his museum if it came down to it.

we had a great time as ostensibly a team of three. I personally started to cramp towards the end and that also no doubt slowed us down a tad.

it was really wonderful to ride with the guys . I knew covid had made an impact upon myself but was not ready for the sheer joy of cycling with mates again. The fact that vossi was on a v20 made it all the better. Not a lot of vendettas downunda visiting home flying the flag. Truly a grand smile inducing event for charity. Winner winner.

till the next event.

Thanks for putting that up Jon!

It was great to race with Domes and Jon. Riding as a team was much more fun than a 2 hour solo effort. I also enjoyed the banter with the DFs as we cruised past them in comfort when they looked like there were ready to give up. A few chuckles were shared by all parties. We were comfortably coasting down the main straight at >60kph when they were struggling to do that at full sprint!

This format is not so kind to a recumbent. I've done a lot of fast bunch riding on DFs. A team of 4 can go MUCH faster than a sole roadie. The benefit when closely following a wheel is huge.... around 40% reduction in power required. I think the benefits on a recumbent are much lower (but still worthwhile) at around 10-20%. If this had been a solo race, we would have been closer as a solo recumbent would go 1-2kph slower than out team, but the solo DF would go 3-4kph slower. Also the hills on this course hurt us more than the DFs. Of course a team of 4 rather than 3 would have knocked us up another 0.5-1kph. But that is to take away nothing from the DF riders who beat us. I know some of them and they are high level cat 1 riders in a different league to us. I would estimate they had FTPs 50-100% higher than ours. One of the guys I know did 350W average for the race compared to my 200W. The very efficient bent can only do so much when riders are so much higher level. Still, I reckon a flatter course and solo and we would have been very close!

Looking forward to the next one!

I enjoyed your race report. The video is cool, Cruzbike sighting signs 3:58.
I noticed a ‘bent at 5:23 that had what most would call a fairing. Was that acceptable for the officials?

jond

Zen MBB Master
I enjoyed your race report. The video is cool, Cruzbike sighting signs 3:58.
I noticed a ‘bent at 5:23 that had what most would call a fairing. Was that acceptable for the officials?

that was dome delis bike. A carbon performer with a Pete Heal made carbon tail box. Part of the three man team. As we were not “racing” the race director was happy with domes bike.

the only other comment I would make is that we were all very comfortable and got off our bikes in good condition unlike a few sore df riders. I always am safer too on a bent.

yes credit to the winners as they too started pretty much from the back of the field. A few rows in front of us.

300W for my CdA is around 48kph (30mph), so a team of 4 at the same level/Cda would have to push over 50kph. Of course I am far from being able to do that power for any more than a couple of minutes! I think I am closer to 250W at the moment. But I could probably stay on the wheel of someone doing 300W and do some short turns at 300W. Hard to tell, as the benefit for drafting is not as good on a recumbent, but I reckon it gets better as the speed goes up.

I reckon our aero efficiency on the V20s (with deep front, enclosed rear and tail box) was similar to Domes on the performer with the faired tail on the performer (but lesser wheels. He was closer to the ground but less reclined so maybe more frontal area of his body... but then a nice fairing to minimise that effect. We seemed to be rolling down the straight at around 60kph at about the same speed. Maybe the MBB drive train efficiency helped us a little once rolling on the flat/uphill sections.

We never actually raced close to the faster DF teams. The fastest team did lap us (on the short course which is laptime around 5 minutes), but we were still on the long course when they did that, so they did not overtake us on track. So we were never overtaken by a strong DF team throughout the whole race. Would have been interesting to try and stay with them. One strongish team overtook us (just) on the hill before the main (downhill) straight. We quickly overtook them back on the downhill and then left them behind quickly and never saw them in the mirrors again.

The team that won (beat us by around 6 minutes) was a super strong team. One of the strongest cycling clubs in Sydney (MWCC) and some of their strongest riders.