T50 chainstay extension mod?

rx7mark

Guru
I have moved my Thor seat aft quite a bit to get the BB at a comfortable height for me. I am 6' 2", with a 45.5 X-seam.

The BB is about even or slightly above the seat bottom now. It was at least 6 inches below the seat pan when I started.

Everything is great except it is much harder to start on a hill and the front end can feel a little light in certain cornering situations. Nothing terrible and certainly not dangerous, but noticeable.

Ideal for me would be a longer chainstay, so i could move the seat forward again and keep the higher BB location, but its not available for the T50.

So I am pondering how hard it would be to cut and weld in an extension at the aft clevis fitting. I wouldn't attempt this myself, but would find a professional, but I think it would not be that hard or expensive. Probably tuffer to repaint and get a good match.

Any thoughts?
Mark

Last edited:

Brad R

I have moved my Thor seat aft quite a bit to get the BB at a comfortable height for me. I am 6' 2", with a 45.5 X-seam.

The BB is about even or slightly above the seat bottom now. It was at least 6 inches below the seat pan when I started.

Everything is great except it is much harder to start on a hill and the front end can feel a little light in certain cornering situations. Nothing terrible and certainly not dangerous, but noticeable.

Ideal for me would be a longer chainstay, so i could move the seat forward again and keep the higher BB location, but its not available for the T50.

So I am pondering how hard it would be to cut and weld in an extension at the aft clevis fitting. I wouldn't attempt this myself, but would find a professional, but I think it would not be that hard or expensive. Probably tuffer to repaint and get a good match.

Any thoughts?
Mark
I would buy a longer chainstay if it was available.

rx7mark

Guru
Anybody know the going rate for a new chainstay extension for a S40 or Vendetta? This is just as a sanity check for a fabricator that I am talking to.

I am getting them to consider making an adjustable welding jig to make T50 chainstays from 2-8 inches longer than stock in 1 inch increments.

Mine would be used as a template, and if successful they could be custom ordered in the length desired as a replacement part, but would be unpainted.

Mark