T50 Cruzing: measuring driving resistances

celerator

Hi

After a few years of analog operation, my Cruzbike T50 has received a digital upgrade. Not aimed at a better performance or the like, rather as one platform to measure physical effects related to bicycling. A small DAQ system based on a microcomputer is now capable of recording and processing signals from various sensors attached to the vehicle.
A simple application is that as a fast-sampling speedometer, employing just the spoke magnet(s) for the timing signal. Fig. 1 ** shows the very first measurement. [Location: quiet neighborhood street in Northern Germany. After sunset, to be able to read the display]. The T50 was brought up to speed and then let go (Cruzing mode). Velocity decreases with time . Air, tire and hub resistances effect the deceleration a, which can be extracted from v(t), a= dv/dt in quasi real time. Translation into forces is done by multiplying with the mass (incl. inertial moments of the wheels). F=m*a.

Air and rolling resistances can in principle be disentangled by their v-dependence, or, as many other effects determined by reference measurements (including relevant system and environmental parameters, such as wind speed, slope, tire temperature, variations of the gravitational constant...).
Cruzing yields the energy resp. power taken out by the driving resistances; it cannot address drive train efficiency or driver ergonomics.
It might be also more interesting for the high-speed community.

Caveats: I'm not sure 1) whether this qualifies for 'Innovations' at all and 2) if and how I can include figures in a post. **

Bear with me, if you will.

Greetings

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi

After a few years of analog operation, my Cruzbike T50 has received a digital upgrade. Not aimed at a better performance or the like, rather as one platform to measure physical effects related to bicycling. A small DAQ system based on a microcomputer is now capable of recording and processing signals from various sensors attached to the vehicle.
A simple application is that as a fast-sampling speedometer, employing just the spoke magnet(s) for the timing signal. Fig. 1 ** shows the very first measurement. [Location: quiet neighborhood street in Northern Germany. After sunset, to be able to read the display]. The T50 was brought up to speed and then let go (Cruzing mode). Velocity decreases with time . Air, tire and hub resistances effect the deceleration a, which can be extracted from v(t), a= dv/dt in quasi real time. Translation into forces is done by multiplying with the mass (incl. inertial moments of the wheels). F=m*a.

Air and rolling resistances can in principle be disentangled by their v-dependence, or, as many other effects determined by reference measurements (including relevant system and environmental parameters, such as wind speed, slope, tire temperature, variations of the gravitational constant...).
Cruzing yields the energy resp. power taken out by the driving resistances; it cannot address drive train efficiency or driver ergonomics.
It might be also more interesting for the high-speed community.

Caveats: I'm not sure 1) whether this qualifies for 'Innovations' at all and 2) if and how I can include figures in a post. **

Bear with me, if you will.

Greetings
The role of measurement in innovation is always underappreciated. Your approach is systematic and thoughtful. Definitely qualifies as innovation!

celerator

How about this here as an example?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Has anyone done any testing on a V20 of the effect of weight on speed on flat roads?" ..........
Credits: @vosadrian (2022) elsewhere in this forum.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quicklook:
Ejecting a 2 kg bottle reduces the moving mass m by ~2%. Assuming F(RR)= c(RR) *m and F(RR) = F(Air) =1/2 F(total) at the considered speed, , and F(Air) mass-independent, we expect a corresponding %-range deceleration change in a Cruzing experiment. The simple timer precision (from jitter ~ msec) easily takes care of that.
The measurement accuracy, i.e. how well you can finally quantify the effect of the lost bottle, (or that of turning dynamo lights on/off, letting tire air out, wearing turbulence-reducing socks etc.) then merely depends on your experimental skills and determination: One needs to isolate the target from all contributing parasitic effects, by calibration or controlled differential measurements.

Last edited: