T50 on YouTube: International Women's Day Populaire 107K

JerseyJim

Hi, all!

I posted my first video to YouTube. I had intended to document all of my randonneuring events this year but the rest were cancelled and we all know why.

Hopefully things will be better next year and I'll be able to post more adventures on my T50. In the meantime, here's my video of the International Women's Day Populaire on March 8, 2020. Please enjoy.

Jim

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Outstanding video! Your technique is really smooth, your bike is really nicely set up. the weather seemed to be perfect, and there were lots of nice folks.

How could it get any better?

Nice job. Looking forward to seeing more. Hopefully, the current unpleasantness will be behind us in time for you to repeat in 2021.

JerseyJim

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement. PA Randonneurs have some of the strongest riders around. It was a pleasure riding with them.

I did a solo century ride in September. That may be my next video but can't promise when it will drop.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
can we do music requests? since you are near phillly how about some music from the dukes of destiny?

JerseyJim

can we do music requests? since you are near phillly how about some music from the dukes of destiny?
As long as the music is royalty free I'm open to using it. For this one, the music had to have horns in it since it was Philadelphia. I wanted to pay homage to the classic Philly sound.

Reactions: Joe

JerseyJim

Loved it! You narrate so well!
Thank you! I'm not used to talking to the camera like you see in vlogs so I needed some other way to comment. I'll get over my shyness in time, I suppose. Also, I wanted to explain randonneuring to my friends and family, some of which don't get what I'm doing out all day on my bike. :) This was a nice short event so it suited that purpose. A bonus was that they included every type of controle you'll ever come across. Nobody ever does the postcard controle anymore. That was cool. I hope the video will serve a primer for anyone thinking about randonneuring.

Brad R

Thank you! I'm not used to talking to the camera like you see in vlogs so I needed some other way to comment. I'll get over my shyness in time, I suppose. Also, I wanted to explain randonneuring to my friends and family, some of which don't get what I'm doing out all day on my bike. :) This was a nice short event so it suited that purpose. A bonus was that they included every type of controle you'll ever come across. Nobody ever does the postcard controle anymore. That was cool. I hope the video will serve a primer for anyone thinking about randonneuring.
I think you did a great job and hit all your goals for the video. What cameras were you using?

JerseyJim

I think you did a great job and hit all your goals for the video. What cameras were you using?

My helmet cam is a Drift Ghost X and the 360 cam is a Xaomi Mi Sphere, which is now called a Madventure 360 and is orange. I prefer the black one but the cameras are identical.

I chose the Ghost X mainly for the battery life. it will last 5 hours on the standard battery and 8 hours on the extended battery. That's great for these events. For daily use, its like a dashcam just in case of something happening on the road. I've caught some crazy stuff on camera. It's also a small, light, waterproof camera, with a nicer shape for a helmet than a GoPro. Drift also makes a Ghost 4K that has better video quality and stabilization for 2.5 times the price of the Ghost X.

The Mi Sphere is a bit dated now as far as 360 video quality but it's fine for now. The selling point for me is Its the only 360 camera with stabilization that can use external power while shooting. I just haven't rigged power to it on my bike yet.

With 360 cameras you don't have to worry about framing a shot. It captures everything around it and you can choose your shot later. This way I can focus on the ride more than shooting video.

Hh@77567756

Hi, all!

I posted my first video to YouTube. I had intended to document all of my randonneuring events this year but the rest were cancelled and we all know why.

Hopefully things will be better next year and I'll be able to post more adventures on my T50. In the meantime, here's my video of the International Women's Day Populaire on March 8, 2020. Please enjoy.

Jim

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Nice video. Your microphone picked up lots of male voices on the Women's Day ride. What do you call that? Manriding? Manrando-ing? What did they think of your bike? There are no other 'bents on camera.

JerseyJim

Nice video. Your microphone picked up lots of male voices on the Women's Day ride. What do you call that? Manriding? Manrando-ing? What did they think of your bike? There are no other 'bents on camera.

Thanks. You're right about the low female to male ratio at the event. Unfortunately, this reflects the demographics of cycling overall. I guess you would just call it reality. Once you start drilling down through demographic groups you'll find a lack of diversity with respect to gender, ethnicity, and other categories. Freeze frame the video on the photo of the participants at the start and tell me if you see anyone else who looks like me. At least there *are* women there. At the weekly road racer club ride at my local park, most weeks there are 30 or 40 riders and no women at all.

However, having said that, I've found that randonneuring has the most diverse participants of the "sporting" cycling events. I've found the most diversity in the "fun ride" type of events of Bike New York, such as the Twin Lights Ride and the Five Boro Bike Tour.

While I was the only recumbent rider at this event, there has been at least 1 other recumbent at other brevets I've done in New Jersey. There's an M5 rider who is way faster than me so I usually see him at the start then never again. One of the New Jersey brevet organizers rides a Lightning recumbent. Same with one of the Bike New York marshals.

Again, this is a reflection of the bike industry and its marketing. Recumbents sell less than tandems and I think tandems are around 3% of the market.
The tiny slice of bicycle market share that is recumbents is further split among 2 and 3 wheeled offerings and trikes are winning that battle. 2 wheeled recumbents are now a minority within a minority.

Another great thing about randonneuring is that all bikes are welcome. While there were no other recumbents in my video, you can see that there were all kinds of bikes represented in the group I was riding with, including one fixed gear. It wasn't all carbon race ready machines.

My bike was well received. I answered a lot of questions. I only got one concerning recumbents and climbing and the answer was self-evident since I had no problem staying with a group of standard bikes on a rolling to hilly course. In part of the video before arriving at the store you can see me passing riders on a short climb. Climbing wasn't an issue.

If you want to see more recumbents on the road and online I say be that recumbent. Part of the reason I'm recording my rides is to keep recumbents in the public eye and show that they are capable of being more than curiosities.

Likewise, if you want to see more women in cycling ask a woman to go with you on your next ride. Then ask her to ask another for the next one. You'll soon flip that ratio.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Again, this is a reflection of the bike industry and its marketing. Recumbents sell less than tandems and I think tandems are around 3% of the market.
The tiny slice of bicycle market share that is recumbents is further split among 2 and 3 wheeled offerings and trikes are winning that battle. 2 wheeled recumbents are now a minority within a minority.

Interesting .. I think it 's a question of age.

2 wheeled recumbents would appeal more to the younger/middle aged (40s and 50s) who still have good balance and want to maintian good cornering speeds and maneuverability on open roads. Unfortunately this demographic has strong competition from the upright bicycle, especially if aggressive steep climbing is on the menu. The younger, highly flexible riders in their 20s and 30s see absolutely no sense in a recumbent bicycle ( unless I completely blow them away on a flat road , which is still tough to do).

From the pictures and videos I see on the internet, it appears to me that trikes appeal to an older generation riding in trails becuase learning to balance is not required and it is safe. It is, however, a bigger, heavier and a more complicated vehicle. Some freedom is lost with it.

Generally for bicycles and trikes the more comfortable it gets the more sofisticated and complicated it gets. Simplicity, maneuverability and freedom is a beautiful thing and that's where the upright bicycle wins. It is closely followed by the 2-wheeled recumbent and lastly by the trikes and velomobiles.

Last edited:

JerseyJim

Generally for bicycles and trikes the more comfortable it gets the more sofisticated and complicated it gets.

There's definitely something to this as evidenced by the popularity of electric assist on trikes. I think e-assist in general is a trend that is bringing a new type of buyer into cycling, one that is less sport-focused and more transportation focused. E-bikes don't require a license, registration or insurance, and, at least in an urban environment, its as fast as a car to get around. Whatever gets people into cycling, I'm for it.

I've always held that recumbents have suffered in gaining market share because of marketing the recumbent as a direct competitor to the traditional racing bike. That's not smart marketing IMO.

Recumbents should be marketed on their very specific strengths and that doesn't include winning a grand tour stage. Now if youre talking about long distance touring then you've got a winner hands down.

I find it ironic that the rise in bikepacking and endurance riding has not lead to an increase in recumbents seen in those activities. Endurance events have become so popular that I could not secure a slot for the 2019 Paris-Brest-Paris. By February all slots were taken. Yet, in an event of 1200 km and 6000 registrants only 170 opted for recumbents. This is despite the fact that recumbents are often among the first to finish.

I'm not sure why recumbents aren't being marketed according to their strengths but we'll keep seeing them loose market share and be displaced by alternatives until someone figures it out.

woodguy

I didn’t get into biking until my early 60’s to get exercise & stay healthy. I probably wouldn’t have continued if I didn’t have a recumbent. For me it is almost totally about comfort, but with my Cruzbike I can climb better & I don’t think it is more complicated than an upright. My Q45 does everything I need.

I haven’t gotten into randonneuring, but I did do a Coast to Coast ride in 2019. I haven’t gotten into racing, but I had a lot of fun with the 2020 Cruzbike Time Trial challenge thanks to @LarryOz .

It seems to me that the Cruzbike collection of models appeals to a variety of riding interests & budgets. I am happy to talk about my bike with anyone & often get questions when out riding. It is a mystery to me why the 2 wheel recumbent is such a small part of the market, but I don’t know what Cruzbike could do differently.